Should I sell? Martin Ødegaard, and other wonderkids.

ILoveLeeds

Reaction score
Entering year 2018 (5th season) with Maribor (top-tier Slovenian team) and am having a tough time deciding if I should have a fire-sale and rebuild now, or go for Champions League success riding on the back on some of my key players.

The biggest issue at hand being that I signed somehow for $2 million and he is now worth 10.5 million, and on the last year of his contract. I have him signed up to a pre-contract deal that that would extend to 2022, begining at the end of the season, but the downside is there was a non-negotiable $15.5 million minimun-fee release clause. I am now about 10 days away from my first game of the season and have a $40 million dollar offer for the lad from PSG, with Juve having bid $23 million. I know the answer should be clearly to sell him, but I hate selling players, and feel that losing Martin goes against everything I've built this team to be, against it's ethos, and thusly it's managers ethos. If someone tells me how to post some screen shots I'll show you guys who I've already signed to potential replace him, and the depth that I have (some serious depth this season actually, which is why selling might not be that bad. I am stacked at the AMC position, just utterly stacked, though I am running 4-2-3-1 with a triple-band of AMC's.

Still, I don't feel like selling out to one of the big guys, but feel that I won't be able to resign Martin quickly enough after the next season (as in offer him a new contract without the minimun-fee release clause after his new contract triggers) as a team will just come in and swoop him up, while FM tells me "This player isn't interested in contract negotiations as he has just signed a new contract". What I do do, forum?

edit: Might as well mention, got out of the group stages of Europe for the last two years, and I only I got knocked out by going 2-2 aggregate with Chelsea this year only to lose on penalties. Who missed my penalty? Of course my leading scorer, who broke just about every club record this year for forwards (most goals in a season, most man of the matches). Feels bad. Europe at this point doesn't scare me as even vs Real Madrid in the group I got whomped 5-0 at my house, only to whomp them 2-1 at theirs. In all matches last year I lost once to Real Madrid, and once to Krasnodar. I also arranged a friendly versus Krasnodar later in the year and whomped them, along with every other mid-tier Russian club.

Last edited: