Should I upgrade from FM17 to FM18 or 19?

LedleysKnee

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So I have been a long time player of the FM series. I generally only guy a copy though once every two or three years. But due to study commitments in the last few years, I’ve only started playing FM 17 on a regular basis since the summer!

My overall reaction to FM17 is that it is great, but it seems to be such a hugely streaky game! FM has always beena game where morale has a huge impact on the income of results, as it is in real life, but on this edition I find my wins are conesuctive, one after another, and seem to have extremely little to do with tactics or squad management. Instead, it’s like coneding a 95th​ miniute equalizer/ defeat is hardwired into the game and you can gladly win 20 games in a row only to suffer 5 defeats, followed by a draw or two and then another 20 wins!
It’s a very unrealistic edition if I do say so myself.

Anyhow, I was wondering how both FM18 and FM 19 compare, with regards to this especially, but overall as well?

Should I get FM18 or FM19? Has the game improved enough to warrant a spend on either of these? Or has something gone so horrendously wrong that I should avoid them as much as possible?

The reviews I’ve read agree with my assessment of FM17, but it seems the reviews get better with FM18 and then supersede them both with FM19.
Thanks for your help guys and wishing you all the best in your saves!

Only had 19 for a few weeks but I am enjoying it. The ME is till buggy but it's the same every year just with different bugs. This year does feel like an upgrade though and the new look and training etc is an improvement in my opinion. If you have a spare 25 quid then I say go for it

Hi everyone, So I have been a long time player of the FM series. I generally only guy a copy though once every two or three years. But due to study commitments in the last few years, I’ve only started playing FM 17 on a regular basis since the summer! My overall reaction to FM17 is that it is great, but it seems to be such a hugely streaky game! FM has always beena game where morale has a huge impact on the income of results, as it is in real life, but on this edition I find my wins are conesuctive, one after another, and seem to have extremely little to do with tactics or squad management. Instead, it’s like coneding a 95th​ miniute equalizer/ defeat is hardwired into the game and you can gladly win 20 games in a row only to suffer 5 defeats, followed by a draw or two and then another 20 wins!It’s a very unrealistic edition if I do say so myself. Anyhow, I was wondering how both FM18 and FM 19 compare, with regards to this especially, but overall as well? Should I get FM18 or FM19? Has the game improved enough to warrant a spend on either of these? Or has something gone so horrendously wrong that I should avoid them as much as possible? The reviews I’ve read agree with my assessment of FM17, but it seems the reviews get better with FM18 and then supersede them both with FM19.Thanks for your help guys and wishing you all the best in your saves!
did you buy FM19? if so what are you opinions and how does it compare to FM17 for you? I'm in a similar position and wondering if it's worth the time/money to update. Thanks

I was in this exact situation 2 weeks ago. Had 17 and was contemplating getting 19. I did buy it, mainly because I like the updated database and the excitement that comes with new non-regen young players. I like the changes to the training and scouting sections, also the ME allows for more varied goals/combinations and my god, is VAR fun.
BUT...it's still a streaky game. And I really hope they fix the long shot problem. In my ~3 seasons played so far in La Liga and La Liga 2, it's about once every game you see a goal from outside the box. That's the worst part of the game imo, so if that would bother you, maybe wait for the 19.3 update before buying.

i skipped 18 as well. got 19 when it was cheap on steam. I must admit, it's my least favourite FM to date. I'm just really not enjoying the buggy ME, and the constant feeling like your decisions are irrelevant.

FM19 and FM17 is totally different game - version; but in terms of "interviews" (press or taken a club) are the same. What I don't understand in FM19 is the "updated" graphics; especially 3D, which require more power graphics card and processor. I found it annoying; which I am going to ask myself if I would buy FM20. If you find a cheap FM19 buy it.