lessthanjake

Reaction score
Okay so I have just got Messi on a Man City save. I've been playing a 4-4-2 with and AMR and AML set as sort of hybrids between wingers and inside forwards. One striker is a target man and the other is a poacher. Anyways, my current plan is to split time at AMR between Messi and Alexis Sanchez. Tevez and Aguero are splitting the time at poacher.

However, I want to get a little bit more out of Messi than I will get with him just as an AMR. He'll get some goals that way, but I'm playing a very rigid system so the wingers tend to create more than score.

As a result, I was thinking I might use the "Swap Positions" tactic when Messi is in and have him swap sometimes with either Aguero or Tevez at the poacher position.

It is my understanding that what this does is have the two players sometimes swap positions over the course of the game when one is in the better position to take up the other's role. This seems to make sense with Aguero and Tevez as both of those players have exceptional stats in the important attributes for wingers, while Messi is obviously quite good as a poacher.

What I am wondering, though, is whether this is really a good idea. Aguero and Tevez have great winger/inside forward stats, BUT they are "unconvincing" in their comfort level as AMRs. Will this significantly decrease their effectiveness when positions are swapped? I assume it will, but at the same time, I know that swapping positions can be very effective in confusing markers and such.

So it could be that swapping positions is useful. But it could also be that I am unnecessarily having Aguero/Tevez play in uncomfortable positions without much benefit. What do you guys think?

I believe in a Barca tactic that was posted in the tactics section, it operated on Villa swapping positions with Messi, between STC and ALM. This tactic was hugely successful, so I suppose yes it could work. Just try it out for a few games.