Should instructions be more specific/varied?

maxchaplin55

Reaction score
I play 99% of my games on Standard at the moment, it suits me, it suits my team and the way I play. Now, I play a 4-2-3-1, and one of my central midfielders has 'Shoot From Distance' ppm, as does my striker.

When my tactic is in it's prime, is when I have 'Work Ball Into Box' unselected, I focus a lot on overlapping and getting crosses into the box, and this works a treat. However, this comes as a cost because by not having WBIB selected, it triggers my two players shooting ppms, and let's just say I am not a fan of long shots on this game. My ST (who I have trained to be able to run at players as he has 20+19 pace and acceleration and 19 finishing), will start running but as soon as he gets within 25 yards he will fire a shot from range, regardless of whether he's through on goal or not, instead of running clean through and slotting one in - which he does when WBIB is selected.

When Work Ball Into Box is selected though, my players opt to hold the ball up and slow play down which obviously allows the opposition to get bodies back, therefore it completely takes crossing out of my tactic.

In short, I just really wish the Work Ball Into Box instruction was completely removed, and replaced with multiple specific instructions, because at the moment it's a case of my tactic being able to cross the ball but not create 1v1s often or retain possession, or be able to create 1v1s but not be able to cross.

Just a rant really, potentially a topic for discussion.

If they have a ppm you don't like you can ask a coach to train them in unlearning it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I play 99% of my games on Standard at the moment, it suits me, it suits my team and the way I play. Now, I play a 4-2-3-1, and one of my central midfielders has 'Shoot From Distance' ppm, as does my striker.

When my tactic is in it's prime, is when I have 'Work Ball Into Box' unselected, I focus a lot on overlapping and getting crosses into the box, and this works a treat. However, this comes as a cost because by not having WBIB selected, it triggers my two players shooting ppms, and let's just say I am not a fan of long shots on this game. My ST (who I have trained to be able to run at players as he has 20+19 pace and acceleration and 19 finishing), will start running but as soon as he gets within 25 yards he will fire a shot from range, regardless of whether he's through on goal or not, instead of running clean through and slotting one in - which he does when WBIB is selected.

When Work Ball Into Box is selected though, my players opt to hold the ball up and slow play down which obviously allows the opposition to get bodies back, therefore it completely takes crossing out of my tactic.

In short, I just really wish the Work Ball Into Box instruction was completely removed, and replaced with multiple specific instructions, because at the moment it's a case of my tactic being able to cross the ball but not create 1v1s often or retain possession, or be able to create 1v1s but not be able to cross.

Just a rant really, potentially a topic for discussion.
You can ask that specific player to shoot less often? That doesn't influence the rest of the tactic.

You can ask that specific player to shoot less often? That doesn't influence the rest of the tactic.

To be honest as stupid as it sounds, I haven't even considered doing so. I guess I just thought that the PPMs would over rule player instructions. I'll give it a go, ta.

ps - how do you quote only a select part when quoting someones message, and how do you quote two different people at once? - I can't figure it out for the life of me.

If they have a ppm you don't like you can ask a coach to train them in unlearning it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9.9 times out of 10 I find players don't unlearn PPMs, or at least my coaches don't think they'll be able to. :/

To be honest as stupid as it sounds, I haven't even considered doing so. I guess I just thought that the PPMs would over rule player instructions. I'll give it a go, ta.

ps - how do you quote only a select part when quoting someones message, and how do you quote two different people at once? - I can't figure it out for the life of me.
A player will still have a tendency toward his PPM. You can help reduce it with PIs. The level of creative freedom will also increase or decrease those instances.