Should Players That Gain Citizenship Be Able To Play For The National Side?

Should Players That Gain Citizenship Be Able To Play For The National Side?

• Yes.

Votes: 12 57.1%
  • No.

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Only if they come over at an early age, or their parent was born in the country in question.

Votes: 8 38.1%

• Total voters

Kylo

MAAAATTT DAMMOONNNNNN
Reaction score
Fellow Members,

There are huge debates on the radio at the current time due to the stories around Mikel Arteta. The Everton midfielder has said that he would not reject the opportunity to play for England, and manager Fabio Capello has met with the Spanish born player, and perhaps we will see him in the Euros?

Now, this debate isn't just about Arteta. I've been doing some research into players that have come over to here, or over countries despite being born elsewhere, and playing for the national team. John Barnes was born in Jamaica, yet he played for England, isn't that a similar situation? Hargreaves is a big name that springs to mind aswell, despite being born in Canada, Hargreaves became a great player for our national side. His father was English, and his mother was Welsh, yet we welcomed him with open arms.

I'm aware theres a thread on Mikel Arteta, but i'd like to add a poll and see where the majority of people stand on this debate. Naturalization, is the process of gaining citizenship, and if you have lived in the UK for 5 years, then you'll have the opportunity to gain citizenship.

So, should we give Arteta a chance to declare himself to England, or should we stay true to our fully English players? Keep in mind that Arteta would make our team a lot better, and would be a perfect replacement for the aging players like Gerrard or Lampard, or if you guys are going to moan that he is an out and out winger, then why can't he take Joe Cole's place, or Walcott's? And then play Walcott up front, now he is grabbing goals? I'd also like you to keep in mind that the Italy sqaud of 86' won the World Cup, with all 23 players being Italian born, and all of those players playing in Italy at that time.

So, vote in the poll, leave your thoughts, no spamming or stupid off topic talks i.e argueing over how good Arteta is. Personally, I'd welcome Arteta to the side.

Thanks,
Kylo.

We should take him -- other countries do exactly the same thing. One of Italy's best players over the last few years is an Argentinian, Portugal's talisman for a number of seasons was a Brazilian, many of the French squad aren't born in France -- to name but a few. In 1990, Ireland went to the World Cup with many an Englishman in their squad.

There's no problem in doing it -- so long as the player coming in is real quality.

Barnes - Quality, Hargreaves - Quality, Arteta - Quality. Get it done Fabio.

well if messi played in england for long enough and didnt play for argentina i dont think anyone would be against him playing for ENGLAND!!

Only ENGLISH players should play for England but if arteta isn't good enough for spain why should we have him :p

If they can fight for the country then why shouldnt they be aloud to play football for the country????

if arteta isn't good enough for spain why should we have him :p

That's not a good example -- Spain are miles ahead of England. So much so, that I doubt there's more than one English player who would be a regular in their team -- Ashley Cole.

That's not a good example -- Spain are miles ahead of England. So much so, that I doubt there's more than one English player who would be a regular in their team -- Ashley Cole.

Do spain have anyone who was born in a different country in their national side ?

Do spain have anyone who was born in a different country in their national side ?

Depends if you count the Basque players or not. Anyway, that's besides the point. Nations all over the world use players of a different birthplace in all types of sport. England have already done it. If the quality is better, I don't see a problem.

The point is he could if he wanted to

Well young english players have no chance of playing for their country if foreigners that have spent 5 years in a country start playing instead. I could understand if they had parents in england or were here from a very young age but Arteta wasn't born here , parents are spanish and he has only played here for 5 years

---------- Post added at 02:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:29 PM ----------

Depends if you count the Basque players or not. Anyway, that's besides the point. Nations all over the world use players of a different birthplace in all types of sport. England have already done it. If the quality is better, I don't see a problem.

It isn't always about quality. It is about people that have been born and bred in a country not getting an opportunity to play for their country because a foreigner who has lived here for 5 years takes their place.

It isn't always about quality. It is about people that have been born and bred in a country not getting an opportunity to play for their country because a foreigner who has lived here for 5 years takes their place.

That's a fair point. I agree about youth getting a chance etc..., but at the same time look at the WC -- look at the reaction from the English fans after we were knocked out etc... Look at all the questions that were asked about the quality of our players.

Well young english players have no chance of playing for their country if foreigners that have spent 5 years in a country start playing instead. I could understand if they had parents in england or were here from a very young age but Arteta wasn't born here , parents are spanish and he has only played here for 5 years

---------- Post added at 02:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:29 PM ----------

It isn't about quality. It is about people that have been born and bred in a country not getting an opportunity to play for their country because a foreigner who has lived here for 5 years takes their place.

If young english players are good enough tyey will get in the national side regardless of the foreiners. There is not going to be 15-23 artetas the the side at 1stage. Arteta would improve the side simple as that.

If young english players are good enough tyey will get in the national side regardless of the foreiners. There is not going to be 15-23 artetas the the side at 1stage. Arteta would improve the side simple as that.

He would improve it but what happens to your patriots ?

I don't think players should be allowed to represent a country unless they are either:
- born in that country
- have a parent born in that country
- schooled for 5+ years in the country

I also don't think the "other countries do it" excuse makes it right either. Just because other countries take players doesn't mean our countries should. Just to note, I am against other countries using foreign players too. I am fine with players like Hargreaves representing England as his father is english. However Arteta has no link to England apart from living there for a short-ish perdiod of his life. Therefore I see no reason why he should be able to represent England at football. also as ADZKINGIV has mentioned, bring in a foreign player could deny an Englishmen the opportunity to play for his national side, a chance that very few players will get.

Last edited:
No question he should definetly be allowed to play. For god sake look at the English cricket team a bunch of South Africans an Australian and an Irishman.

Since he's uncapped for Spain, he is eligible. Although, I don't see it happening yet. Not yet. Hopefully, he accepts the Three Lions.

This is our ENGLISH football team. The u19's and u21's are doing really well in the competitions they are competing in. Arteta has only been in this country for five years and what is the point in the new 25 man squad rule if we are going to have foreigners play for England.

No question he should definetly be allowed to play. For god sake look at the English cricket team a bunch of South Africans an Australian and an Irishman.
our best and your best cricketer aswell :'( :'(

This is our ENGLISH football team. The u19's and u21's are doing really well in the competitions they are competing in. Arteta has only been in this country for five years and what is the point in the new 25 man squad rule if we are going to have foreigners play for England.

You'd be surprised at how lax the new 25 man squad rule is tbh. Fabregas etc are classed as Home Grown / English under these new rules -- it doesn't prevent foreigners playing or promote the use of English players at all.