Should Reserve/Youth Teams use First Team tactics

Ajayrious

Reaction score
For years now I've been playing FM on the assumption that reserve teams should use the first teams tactics to prepare the younger players to play using those tactics and roles. That would obviously be appropriate to real life. But does FM actually work like that? Would I be better off using a tactic to maximise the game time of my reserves and youth teams?

For example, my first team uses an AM(C) however my reserve and youth teams don't have any good prospects who play that position, whilst i have a wealth of S(C) and only one space. Should I use 4-4-2, a tactic I would never use in the first team, to give game time to another striker in his proper position?

You can set this under staff responsibilities or give the coach free reign to choose for the players he has.

I know this. But should I? is the question.

I do, depends how good the crop/coach is. if hes not using the kids you want or you dont have them, give his free reign. you can always set the individual training to the roles, and let him handle the game time.

I've always found if you play the same tactics you will eventually have intakes of youth reflecting the positions you need. However, it helps having youth team staff having the same tactical preferences as yourself.

You should definitely be having the youth teams play with your main first team tactic if you intend to be at the club long term and develop from within. I wouldn't bother doing it for a journeyman career though.