Should Wayne Rooney start or be dropped?

Should Wayne start?

• Yes, Start with Wayne

Votes: 28 66.7%
  • No, Drop him

Votes: 14 33.3%

• Total voters

MisterStubbs

Reaction score
This seems to be a huge topic at the moment. Wayne Rooney hasn't by all means set the World Cup alight yet but should he really be dropped? Many big names within the game say he should (Tony Cascarino) and some say he shouldn't (Alan Murray). What do you think though? I personally think he should start. Rooney is Englands best player and can change a game out of nothing (i no others can but this isn't about them) A England starting 11 without Wayne isn't as good as a starting 11 with him.

What do you guys think though?

He won't be dropped was was one thge best strikers in the world this year..hes had two bad games? If he scores 2 3 goals against Slovenia everyone jumps back on the Rooney is our only hope band wagon, so no he wont be dropped niether does he deserved to be dropped

If hes dropped there is no chance for us , if he plays at least there is a chance he will perform , he cant do anything from the bench really , best players in my opinion , must start when fit.

i think he should, your england team has enough quality to win that match without him and it would send a message to him and the rest of the team that have to play well or you will be dropped regardless of how good you think you are

Agree with you Shay given , but in my opinion if it was like the 2nd game yes drop him but with it being the last game a one off game where the whole team has to prove something or go home he has to start , if he doesn't i'm pretty sure its gonna be curtains for England

Is this thread serious.... oO)

If you say no you are obviously a German

Last edited:
you cnat shovel it all on rooney the whole team hass been poor

NOOOOOOOO!!!! :D

But I'm biased so take my opinion with a pinch of salt. ;)

If I was Capello I'd look at how Rooney plays best at club level and try to emulate that. Here is how he plays best at Man Utd and in brackets how England should line up..

VDS (James)

Brown (Johnson) - Rio (Terry) - Vidic (Upson) - Evra (Cole)

Fletcher (Lampard) - Scholes (Barry) - Giggs (Gerrard)

Valencia (Lennon) - Rooney (Rooney) - Nani (Cole)

Barry can sit and allow Lampard anf Gerrard to get forward whilst Cole and Lennon can play off Rooney but also provide support to the fullbacks when defending

im a man u supporter and love wayne but he is not doing it ............ at the minute he looks like someone has pulled a fan onto the pitch and told him to play up front

man u have suffered over the years becuase SAF has stuck to his best players when sometimes it would have been better to play the other players in the team

we should play crouch/heskey with defoe and pull rooney on if we havent scored by HT
that will fire him up by being dropped and cos he will know we would be relying on him

ALSO i think we gotta change the system slightly because we are not controlling the midfield and the teams that will win the WC win the midfield

also i think we should drop terry because he should have kept his mouth shut about his boozing and not ratted out the rest of the players that joined him

Completely agree with King Eric, the way we are playing is not getting the best out of the players in the squad. Rooney MUST be given the lone striker role and Joe Cole MUST start, simple really! ;)

He should start yes. He had such a good season and everyone thought he was going to win england the world cup, and because hes not performed he gets a lot of criticism, when in fact its the whole squad. Defoe and Crouch have both come on, and they havent done anything special.

Drop him and play Heskey on his own upfront.

Guarenteed goals... for the other team.

Off course he has to start, he's still our best player.

Can you imagine if Cappello dropped him and then we lost? Cappello would be ran out of the country.

i said this the other day and if capello sticks with 4-4-2 then it shouldnt include rooney. imagine a rooney on the bench not liking it and just waiting to get off the bench(like he did when he first broke through) this could kick start rooney. plus if he sticks with 4-4-2 it should be crouch and defoe they will always guarrentee goals.

Just play a 4-3-3 for **** sake, all the best club sides do, so why don't we play it as a National team.

Unite, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal play 4-3-3 most of the time, or 4-5-1 when they are less attacking, we should be sticking with the formations our players know best.

Drop Rooney, pfffft Don't be so idiotic.

i dont want to drop rooney, people within the game are calling for him to be dropped.

I wasnt referring to you mate :)

I was referring to people who wanted him to be dropped :S