Signing freebies

smith39

Reaction score
Ok so when dec 31st comes around you can offten appraoch to sign players on the bosman ruleing to join your club at the end of their contract. However it is only a select few that allow this, some players you still have to make an offer to the club. Just wondering if anyone knows why?? thanks ryan

Only players who's contracts are expiring within the next 6 months are eligible for bosman moves.

English clubs can't sign players from other English clubs on the Bosman.

thier are still some players on the list whos contract are expireing in less than 6months that i cannot approach. for e.g. obi mikel and kalou

edit: ahh that explains it, didnt know that! thanks

Last edited:
to sign players through contract expirey in england, 3 months have to be remaining on their contract rather than the normal 6 months.

but you can offer for them at a reduced price and more than likely get an offer excepted. An example I got Michael Owen for 4.5 million for Liverpool. I timed the offer so he was injured when I put the bid in, but would recover when it came to accepting the contract. Newcastle accepted the reduced offer because he had 6 months left on his contract.

but don't forget.
Offering large bids for players who only have 6 months on their contract can cause massive speculation.
Alot of other teams might try to get a look in.. see why you're offering that much..
and the team that owns him might realise his worth and try to secure his place within the team with a new contract, even if only to sell him for a bigger amount later on.

you have to be careful how you approach certain situations, wait too long and they might end up gettin a new contract anyway.

Thats happend to me when you get a message from your assistant saying there has been a leak to the public about the transfer. It normally inflates the transfer because other clubs get on the band wagon.
I wanted A.D'Alessandro for liverpool, would of cost about 8 million. In the end they sold him to Man City for 14 million.