Signing On Fees

deelang

Reaction score
Planning on something of a rebuilding of my squad in my upcoming close season (summer 2010).

I've carefully planned out my incoming and outgoing transfers. As Newcastle United I can't just throw the money about. After two years of frugality I've finally got some money to spend.

Quick question was whether my transfer fund allocation includes the money to be spent on signing on fees.

I.e, if I buy a player for £5m and he takes a £500k signing on fee, is my fund reduced by £5m or £5.5m?

deelang

Im not sure but on 08 you didnt need to offer signing on fees at all, the players didnt take any notice unlike if say they wanted 2k app bonus and u offered them 1800, they would prob turn that down but if they wanted like 5m to sign on and you offered 0 they wouldnt care...dunno if this is the same on 09

Im not sure but on 08 you didnt need to offer signing on fees at all, the players didnt take any notice unlike if say they wanted 2k app bonus and u offered them 1800, they would prob turn that down but if they wanted like 5m to sign on and you offered 0 they wouldnt care...dunno if this is the same on 09

That's interesting. I admit that I offered new contracts to Shay Given, Rafael Carioca and Steve Taylor and none seemed to mind that I offered £0 on fees because I raised their wages slightly. But thought this might have just been loyalty to the club or something.

Plus it might be different when buying a player, especially if there is competition from other clubs. I'm sure i've seen "a better signing on fee would help negotiations" in the past, so I'm happy to bung them some £££ although was curious as to whether it came out of my transfer funds or club funds.