npjones

Reaction score
Hi all. Don't post often, unless I feel it's gonna be really really important to my save so really appreciate any feedback on this...

I'm managing Dover. The 16/17 season. Back to back promotions all the way to the prem and a squad bursting with young talent. It's my first season in the EPL but I have the chance to bring in what I think is a top top talent.

My dilemma centres on Gylfi. He is now 27 and has been rotting at Spurs for 2 and a half seasons. He has managed 40 games in that time, but nearly all were sub appearances, with a pretty low rating.

I hear people saying how quality he is in the AM position - tales of Ballon D'or winning achievements and 30goal seasons.

Basically, 5.5mil would be a club record. And I dont play with an AM. Could he still be quality as part of a midfield pairing in a 4-4-2? Is he so good he'll play anywhere? Anyone have any experiences with him excelling/flopping in CM or even a success story in AM that might cause me to take the plunge and buy him anyway?

Looking forward to hearing your Sigurdsson stories... :)

Oh should probably add, have a 6"9 striker who's a real fox in the box so his delivery could really prove important!

i would take the gamble, as he is a quality midfielder

Any experience with him yourself? I know IRL the lads a beast and in game he's got a nice set of offensive stats. little incomplete to play CM though perhaps?

Why not play him as the deep-lying striker to partner your fox?

Why not play him as the deep-lying striker to partner your fox?

Ahh you mean in a striker slot but set as deep lying forward or treq or something. could work out.

any experience with him in any of your saves?

I bought him for my Fiorentina side in a network game, trained him as a central midfielder. Absolute badman, had dopeness leaking through his pores. didn't take long for him to be natural in that position. Made his role an advanced playmaker with support duty. He's got more to his game than just set pieces, but he's probably the best set piece taker I've ever had in FM (though I may be a bit bias, cus there was the passion of the network game, and the fact he used to play for Reading).

BUY BUY BUY!

I bought him for my Fiorentina side in a network game, trained him as a central midfielder. Absolute badman, had dopeness leaking through his pores. didn't take long for him to be natural in that position. Made his role an advanced playmaker with support duty. He's got more to his game than just set pieces, but he's probably the best set piece taker I've ever had in FM (though I may be a bit bias, cus there was the passion of the network game, and the fact he used to play for Reading).

BUY BUY BUY!

Thanks RTC. I've hit confirm transfer on him. Just hope at 27 he's still feeling flexible enough to settle in CM. I love him in reality. Really wanna see him at United next season.

the fact he can use both legs equally well is just the icing on an already very tasty cake. oh and teach him to do killer through balls often as well, to properly reap the benefits

he can play in any midfield position aside from ball winning midfielder.
Putting him as deep lying playmaker isnt a bad thing either. CM is fine also. Winger same. The problem is, he seems to be bad at deep lying forward position. At least for me, it's not the right role for my own formation. Was a beast before the last update, but now he's a little less consistent/creative

How is he doing, He's a great player and if he leaves swansea back for Hoffenhien end of first season on my arsenal game, might be worth a dabble.

He's always quality, most as an AMC (trequarista/Attacking M. A/S) , I played him as an MC when Bressan got injured. He was pretty good 7.20 av. Rating in 7 games, but to really benefit from his abilities I suggest you play him as an AMC

top-notch player at any club, any level. the goals he gets, the assists, the free-kicks...oh, just sensational! when i bought him at PSG, i actually played him ahead of Pastore a lot of the times. only down side is his speed..i like my attacking midfielders to be pacy.

I had him on my swansea save and he was amazing, single handed took me to champions league football both seasons before i got bored and started a different save. I played him as part of a 3 man midfield (BWM-D, CM-S and AP-A) basically he took role of advanced playmaker from center midfield and was an animal. As long as his partner is a defensive minded player it should work fine playing him in that role.

He had some stats adjusted down in recent update, propably still worth a shot though.

The thing that i noticed is AI managers often don't play him. I guess the AI is not so capable when it comes to figuring out if player may perform well over his star rating. I played him in Real instead of Ozil and he was immense, but sometimes i would vacation out at less important parts of seasons, and my assman was always instantly benching him and let Ozil play, lol.

I just bought him in my second season in my Arsenal save to test him out and been playing him as CM (AP-A). Although his dribbling ain't good he has still been immense in his first two official matches, getting 2 goals and 3 assist and MoM in both. His actual role is AMC (AP-S) I think, so he'll sit a bit in the back, spread passes, try long shots etc. but when I'm playing him as CM he usually sits outside the box anyway as my IFs cut inside or get into the box and that leaves him with good opportunities to get long shots off. He's already scored a screamer from 35 yards.

Stats for Sigurdsson in my save, 2013-14 season
Overall - 46 matches, 29 goals, 31 assists and 7 MOM
Premier league - 27 matches, 22 goals, 23 assists and 6 MOM.