Silencing the 'Noisy Neighbours' - Can the Red Devils reign again?

landorin

Reaction score
This is my first ever attempt at a FM story, please leave any helpful comments or questions! Thanks!

View attachment 284417

17th July 2012

View attachment 284418
Fergie-Time Up!!!

The Glazer family rock the entire football world by announcing the departure of Sir Alex Ferguson after a fruitless season where the famous Reds of Manchester were dramatically deposed as Champions with the last kick of the season!

View attachment 284419
The noisy neighbour comment made by Ferguson came back to haunt him! The league defeat, combined with the worst performance in the Champions League in recent memory, resulted in the much despised Glazer family taking the decision to push Sir Alex into retirement!

18th July 2012

View attachment 284420

Rookie Time!

Manchester United waste no time in appointing their new manager, unknown rookie 32 year old Tim Smith has been handed the task of returning the Red Juggernaught back to the top of the pile and in the process, Silence those Oil-rich Noisy Neighbours!

Next time....Pre-season and Transfer Window, what will a rookie do with £30 million?

View attachment 284422

Pre-season 2012

After spending a lot of time offering mutual termination to over half of my staff members and signing the best available replacements I was extremely fatigued and decided to hand control of the team over to my new Assistant Manager Johan Cruyff for the annual pre-season friendlies, this included a tour to the U.S.A to hopefully exploit some merchandise revenues!

Saturday July 21st (A) Slavia Prague 4-1
Van Persie (14, 20, 66)
M. Keane (80)

Saturday July 28th (A) Real Salt Lake 0-1

Saturday 4th August (A) Chivas USA3-0
Van Persie (10)
Vidic (50)
Valencia (53)

Saturday 11th August (A) Olympiakos 4-0
Kagawa (5)
Jones (19)
Hernandez (33)
B*** (53)

Johan explained away the defeat to Salt Lake, citing fatigue from the long flight and subsequent promotional appearances the squad had to make. Overall I was satisfied with the results and performances, RVP seemed to settle quickly into the squad producing a wonderful hat-trick on his unofficial debut! Those tasked to my defence performed admirably conceding only once in the four games. Our attack were on fire, scorching 11 goals in pre-season. I hope this trend continues in the Premier League! Beginners luck MUTV reports....

Whilst the selected squad were busy on tour I was busy elsewhere....

View attachment 284424

Without much experience but armed with a £30 million transfer budget and my trusty Samsung Galaxy s3 I worked night and day on securing the players I wanted in my squad, whilst working just as hard to offload those I did not feel would play a role for me, this,or in some cases, any season!!!

Next time... Transfers revealed - Big names come and go! Lets trade!

View attachment 284476
Transfers....Transfers....Transfers...Drive a hard bargain and you might be rewarded...

It was early August and I had my sights set on a Defensive/Ball winning Midfielder, An Attacking Left Winger, A Centre Back and a Left Back. I felt a few of the current squad had become too complacent under the old regime; the talent did not justify the wages. I had a good idea of who I wanted in my squad for the Premier League and who was to be shown the door. Hopefully we'd find some willing takers for my unwanted players!

I spoke to Jim Lawlor my Chief Scout, together we identified our prime targets. David Gill called to remind me not to go over budget as the club were committed to servicing its long term debt and could not afford too many outlays....£30 million was not enough for what I had in mind so I got my thinking cap on and here's a summary of my transfer activities...

View attachment 284488

Free transfers In: None.
Free transfers Out: Weir, Grimshaw, O'Hara, Castro Pereira, Dalley, Sutherland, Harrop, McConnell, C. Evans, Rudge, Gorre.

All were youth prospects who would never get a sniff of making my match day squad let alone the first eleven! I felt it only fair to release them all on free transfers to give them a chance at finding a club in the lower leagues.​

Loans In: None.
Loans Out (Free): M. Keane, Thorpe, Cole, Petrucci, Brady, Wootten, Powell, Henriquez, Januzaj, Tunnicliffe.

All were youngsters with potential so on the advise of 'Choccy' McClair I arranged loans for this batch of youngsters.

Loans Out (Fee): Bebe to Sunderland (1k p/w!!!), Macheda to Torino (30k p/w), Cleverley to Everton (100k p/w), Welbeck to Spurs (120k p/w).

I was happy with the fees I received for Welbeck and Cleverley, two rising stars in English football, but they do not figure into my plans for this season and potentially could be sold next year. Macheda will definitely be sold as soon as possible but unfortunately I don't think I can even give Bebe away! However I will try if Sunderland don't follow up on their 100k agreed fee at the end of the loan!

View attachment 284489

I was frustrated at the lack of solid bids for my unwanted stars. I wanted rid of Evra, Nani and Anderson and Ashley Young. Four stars who had no business being near my squad! There had been plenty of interest but nothing concrete. That was until Mr Wenger came calling....

Player Out: Ashley Young to Arsenal (£27 million!!!)

I nearly snapped his hand off! With this deal in place I knew I could land my targets, and maybe a few young stars of the future!!! Then a brainwave struck. I thought of a way to kill two birds with one stone...offloading three stars to get my targets...

Players In: Marouane Fellaini from Everton (£7.5 million + p/ex Anderson), Gareth Bale from Tottenham (£0 p/ex Nani), Neven Subotic from Dortmund (£10.5 + p/ex Evra).

That left plenty still in the kitty so on the advise of Lawlor and his scouting posse I went ahead and sanctioned three more deals...​

Players In: Davide Santon from Newcastle (£13.5 million), Wellington Nem from Fluminense (£3.5 million), Adryan from Flamengo (£875k).

I was delighted with my transfer business, even as a rookie I felt I drove a hard bargain although the minimum release clauses attached to my two young Brazilians certainly helped! I anticipate my top three signings going straight into the starting eleven, Santon will be my starting left back. Nem and Adryan will feature now and again as very talented squad players....

View attachment 284495
New at Old Trafford Megastore for 2012/13!!!!

Satisfied with my transfer business I turned my attention to the start of the campaign...Soon it would be my first game in charge of Manchester United!!! My dream club, the club I have supported my entire club...The club that were now relying on ME to revive their fortunes!!! Oh crumbs!!!! I'll take some of that Beginner's luck!

Next time...Premier League kick off....Deadline Day drama....2 stars leave...3 arrive!

View attachment 284499

Here we go....August 2012

As I glance down at the fixture list on my desk my eyes are drawn to December, it will be a tough month, home ties again City and Arsenal followed by four consecutive games away, I look at my P.A. and remark that I'll need a bigger suitcase! She doesn't laugh...My mind snaps back to the present, Norwich at home and West Ham away to start with...There are a few niggles in the squad but I'm hoping our fitness and tactical training will pay off and that we can get some early points on the board...

View attachment 284501

EPL Season 2012/13

Saturday August 18th (H) Norwich 3-1
Van Persie (15,42,72)
Johnson (58)
MOM: Van Persie

Saturday August 25th (A) West Ham 1-0
Van Persie (9)

MOM: Subotic

A Perfect start in my opinion, The team need to gel as the new signings settle at the club! I send a letter of thanks to Sir Alex for signing RVP before his untimely departure! Hat-trick on debut and a goal on home debut! I have high hopes for the season if my Goal Machine can stay fit!

Manchester United Player of the Month:

View attachment 284502

Robin Van Persie
2 apps, 4 goals 1 MOM

Next time...Deadline Day drama unfolds!

View attachment 284566
Tick tock....Ring ring...Cha ching...

August 31st 2012

I thought my dealings were done in the Transfer Window, how wrong I was! On deadline day itself my phone was red hot! I was able to offload two more unwanted stars, this enabled me to go ahead and sign 3 youthful targets that I had my eye on with unexpected extra funds...

Players Out: Darren Fletcher to Newcastle (£17.5 million), Jonny Evans to AC Milan (£9 million).

Players In: Kyriakos Papadopoulos from Schalke (£17 million), Bryan Rabello from Sevilla (£16 million), Timo Werner from Stuttgart (900k).
View attachment 284677 View attachment 284675

Overall I was delighted with with my signings, Bale and Santon will work well together down the left, I have two young, big and talented Centre halves ready to learn from the best in the business, Fellaini will work alongside Carrick/Rooney in the Middle of the park and I have plenty of options up top and out wide...All in all I'm pleased with myself. Nine new faces arrived with a net spend of £16 million, I've managed to significantly lower the average age of the starting eleven and the wage bill. Now I turn my attention towards getting this group together and to play as a team...The hard work starts here...

Next time....Two huge rivalry matches and the Champions League commences...

September 2012

View attachment 284686

Some tricky ties and unexpected results!

View attachment 284695
EPL
Saturday September 1st (H) Stoke 1-0
Vidic (23)
Wellington Nem injured (26)
MOM: Vidic

We dominated the match but Stoke's defence limited us to just the one goal, very happy with the win but disappointed to lose Wellington for 5 weeks so early in the season.

EPL
Saturday September 15th (H) Chelsea 2-0
Valencia (49, 51)

Kagawa injured (29)
MOM: Valencia

View attachment 284692
We totally dominated the reigning European Champions, in truth the score could have been higher but a win is a win and I mustn't grumble so early in my young career! Another of my players succumbs to injury, this time Kagawa will be out for 2 weeks and will miss our opening Champions League group game!

View attachment 284693

Disaster as Robin Van Persie hurt in training - out for 4 weeks!!!

I am distraught, the man whole is leading the line for my side pulls up with a strain in training and will miss the next 5 matches, including two Champions league group games and the tie against our fierce rivals Liverpool...I have my fingers crossed that Javier Hernandez is ready to do the job for us!

View attachment 284696
ECL Group D
Tuesday September 18th (A) Benfica 2-2
Rodrigo (14, 44)
Hernandez (45+1, 57)

A fantastic fight back from 2-0 down, credit must go to Hernandez for his brace, and the team for the comeback, but I must rethink my tactics in Europe, there are no easy ties and we must be more intelligent with our play.

View attachment 284703

CC
Tuesday September 25th (A) Wigan 1-4
Hernandez (6) Buttner sent off (15)
Jones (p17, 62) Di Santo (56) Beausejour (82)

With a young inexperienced side given their chance we started brightly, taking the lead early but then a moment of madness from Buttner changed the entire game, the youngster dived in two footed on Kone, giving away the penalty and was given his marching orders! needless to say we struggled the rest of the game as we tried to chase and left too many gaps at the back...

View attachment 284695
EPL
Saturday September 29th (A) Liverpool 0-3
Assaidi (6) Suarez (55) Gerrard (p60)

I hid from the press after this result, the fans were not pleased and I saw firsthand why, we never showed up, the team didn't respond to me or my staff. We really miss RVP!

Summary
Overall a decent month, two solid wins in the league including a total domination of Chelsea! Not too bothered about being out of the Capital one Cup, just means less game time for my youngsters. Liverpool result was poor and will aim to address those failings next month. We are suffering with injuries to key players and hope that bad fortune changes.

Manchester United Player of the Month
View attachment 284707
Javier Hernandez
2 apps, 3 goals

Next time...October...injuries x3!

October 2012

View attachment 284720

United in danger of crashing out of Europe for second season in succession!

284696d1353779887-silencing-noisy-neighbours-can-red-devils-reign-again-champleague.jpg

ECL Group D
Wednesday October 3rd (H) Gladbach 0-0
Fellaini injured (35)

Well what can I say? Our injury nightmare continues! Currently unavailable to me are RVP, Rooney, Kagawa, Wellington, Smalling, Jones, Giggs and now my midfield engine Fellaini is on the treatment table for 3 weeks! The game itself was without much incident, we lacked penetration in the final third even though we dominated possession.

View attachment 284733

EPL
Saturday October 6th (H) Aston Villa 2-1
Scholes injured (18)
Valencia (26)
Papadopoulos (o.g. 45+1)
Bent (o.g. 72)
MOM: Valencia

Another injury!!! There must be a conspiracy amongst the other teams in the EPL, they are aiming to take out my players in every game! I think Roberto Mancini is responsible but I'll keep that suspicion to myself for now! Aside from that I was very happy with the win but in truth the performance was poor, oh how I wish I could select a settled eleven for two games in a row! But wait....

View attachment 284721

He's back!!!

After missing the last 5 games my talismanic striker has recovered from his injury! I resist the urge to throw him into side for Saturday's game, but I'll look to give him a run out at some point.

View attachment 284733

EPL
Saturday October 20th (H) QPR 1-0
Onuoha (o.g. 51)

Van Persie made the difference! Javier was struggling with a niggle so on the 50 minute mark I replaced him with Van Persie. It took all of a minute for Robin's impact to register as he forced Onuoha to turn the ball into his own net from Bale's driven cross!

284696d1353779887-silencing-noisy-neighbours-can-red-devils-reign-again-champleague.jpg

ECL Group D
Wednesday October 24th (H) Galatasary 1-1
Elmander (6)
Van Persie (8)

We conceded early but responded almost instantly! We really struggled to break them down and we were nearly caught out on occasion. 3 draws from our 3 games in Europe so far, I have hopes of qualifying, Galatasary lead the way but we are in touching distance still. Two games since our last injury, maybe our luck has changed?

View attachment 284733

EPL
Sunday October 28th (A) Newcastle 0-2
Ba (32)
Santon injured (58)
Ben Arfa (p74)

Luck schmuck!!!! I cant blame injuries for this performance even though we picked up another! No this time I will blame the officials, Ba's goal was a yard offside and the less said about the penalty decision the better! Pardew offered me a glass of wine after the match, I took the bottle!!!

Summary
We are struggling as a team to convert chances, somehow we are still getting some decent results. The Champions League form is concerning, we cannot afford to go out in the group stage this year! The players need to realise this and accept my instructions. Wayne Rooney is not performing well at all, currently only holding a place in the side due to others' injuries.

View attachment 284731
Valencia
5 apps, 1 goal, 2 assist

Next time...November...United on brink of disaster!

I hope everyone is enjoying reading this as much as I'm enjoying the save...I've played through the season already so now its a case of finding the time to do the updates! Keep an eye out for December, March and May! Lots of twists and turns to come!

Good signings, great deal on Bale, definately a loss in tottenham's case! Don't rate santon much however 17 mil for Fletcher is amazing, Good story so far.

Keep it up!

November 2012

View attachment 284965

United on brink of disaster!!!

EPL
Saturday November 3rd (H) Reading 1-0
Hernandez (10)
Rooney injured (45+1)

We bounce back from the loss at Newcastle with a solid home win here, we still aren't firing on all cynlinders but I won't complain if we're picking up the points. The loss of Rooney is a blow, but in all honesty he hasn't been performing his best so perhaps the break is a blessing in disguise.

ECL Group D
Tuesday November 6th (A) Galatasary
0-4
Yilnaz (31) Elmander (33, 60) Inan (49)

Were we intimidated in the cauldron of hate that is provided by the home fans in Turkey? Whatever the reason, such a heavy loss in unacceptable and leaves us in a perilous position in the group, 3 points from 4 games, two tricky games to come and it seems that we will be crashing out of Europe...

EPL
Saturday November 10th (A) Swansea 1-2
P. Hernandez (17)
Bale (60)
Faurlin (p75)

MOM: P. Jones

The trip to Turkey certainly took it out of the squad, a much changed line-up couldn't contend with the tidy passing game of the Swans, Bale snatched an equaliser but another disputed penalty decision went against us and cost us dearly!

EPL
Saturday November 17th (A) Southampton 2-1
Wellington Nem (17, 19)
Rodriguez (49)
MOM: Wellington Nem

A good performance away at plucky Southampton, Wellington Nem was the difference, the youngster was faultless in his performance today! But we look ahead to Wednesday, I sit the team down for a meeting, we must get the 3 points against Benfica to have any chance at all of qualifying! Its crunch time!

ECL Group D
Wednesday November 21st (H) Benfica 5-2

Subotic (5) Vidic (22) Kagawa (39) Hernandez (62, 90)
Kara (19) Cardozo (55)
MOM: Wellington Nem

What a response from the boys! We played them off the park, Nem was outstanding, setting up 3 of our goals! We now need to better Benfica's result in the final game to stand a chance of qualifying in the runner's up spot...There's still hope...just...

EPL
Saturday November 24th (H) Wigan 3-0
Bale (26) Vidic (30, 53)

Summary
The month started terribly with defeats in Europe and away to the Swans, however we were able to pick ourselves up and bounce back in the second half of the month the record 3 impressive victories...

View attachment 284973
Wellington Nem
4 apps, 2 goals, 4 assists

Next time...December...Can United qualify! Derby Day drama, Utd hit 6 but suffer away days blues...

Last edited:
December 2012

View attachment 285054
Will United qualify! Derby Day drama, Utd hit 6 but suffer away days blues...

EPL
Saturday December 1st (A) Fulham 2-0
Wellington Nem (28) Van Persie (84)

Great start to what will be a tough month, 8 games in total including 2 against our title rivals and the all important Champions League tie against Gladbach...Galatasary are through, Benfica have 7 points, We have 6 and Gladbach have 5. We need a favour from the Turkish side and need to do well in Germany.

ECL Group D
Tuesday December 4th (A) Gladbach
1-1
Vidic (og 49)
Carrick (10)

We are through! I repeat we are through!!!! Galatasary destroyed 10-man Benfica 3-0 and we escaped from Germany with a hard earned point...We dominated the match and were unlucky not to win but we qualify for the knockout stages by the skin of our teeth thanks to Goal Difference or Head to Head, I'm not certain but then again I am new to all this!

EPL
Saturday December 8th (H) Everton 2-0
Kagawa (7) Bale (45)
Kagawa inj (74)
MOM: Kagawa

Strong performance here at home against a good Everton side, no Champions league hangover as celebrations were kept to a minimum, we have important matches upcoming...We face our bitter neighbours next...The team I have been tasked to defeat...Manchester City come to Old Trafford and I need the win against my nominated rivals!

EPL
Saturday December 15th (H) Manchester City 3-1
Y. Toure (o.g 5)
Van Persie (7)
Tevez (p22)
Bale (77)

MOM: Bale

We destroyed them! The lads were out of the blocks early and City couldn't cope with our pace down the flanks, Bale produced his best performance so far! The fans and players were delighted, the owners were pleased. We were on cloud 9...next up for us was Arsenal...RVP was itching to play against his former club!

EPL
Wednesday December 19th (H) Arsenal 6-2

Van Persie (9, 40, 51, 56)
Valencia (36)
Chamakh (77) Oxlade-Chamberlain (85)
Bale (89)

MOM: Van Persie (4 Goals, 1 Assist, 9.9 Rating!)

We were incredible! Wengers side had no answers to Van Persie's brilliance in front of goal! RVP was lethal today and the rest of the side played to their strengths to dominate their counterparts! We were riding high in December...But not for long! Faced with 3 games in 7 days, all of which away from home over the Christmas period, it was going to be tough! But I didn't expect the lows that soon followed:

Saturday 22nd December (A) West Brom 0-1
Odemwingie (17)

Wednesday 26th December (A) Sunderland 1-3
Sessegnon (12) Larsson (27) Fletcher (30)

Subotic (48)

Saturday 29th December (A) Norwich 0-1
Morison (80)

Summary
Bad things come in 3's!!! We were asked to do a lot of travelling this week and we couldn't pull of a result against any of these so-called lesser teams. But we proved that there are no easy games in the Premier League! December started amazingly but the three soft defeats meant it was very close at the top!

League Table
View attachment 285058

Manchester United Player of the Month:

Robin Van Persie
6 apps, 6 goals 2 assists

Next time...January...Do United make any moves in the transfer market? Away day blues continue...

Bad news guys, Suffered a hard disk failure late sunday night so that means the save is no longer there!!! Really annoyed as was just getting into it!

Once I'm up and running again I'll try another Utd save to get to grips with the game then I'll probably begin a lower league story with someone like Sheff Utd?

With Utd we went 10 games unbeaten at the end of the season but lost out on the league by 1 point to Chelsea and finished level with City. I'd just sold Rooney to spurs for 41 million and Valencia to Juve for 30 mill so I was really looking forward to spending that cash! I also got a wonderful regen in my youth ranks, shame I'll never get to see how he turns out :(

it was a great read, unfortunate about the failure though. Just one more thing though

LIVERPOOL.....LIVERPOOL.....LIVERPOOL.....LIVERPOOL

Yeah shame about the story i was really enjoying reading someone else story of Man Utd and how differently we played the game, one thing that was the same was Rooney being rubbish he went to Wolves for £13 million in my save at the end of the 3rd season.