Silverware for the Sammarinese [The Great San Marino Challenge]

Reaction score
Some say it's impossible, some say it's improbable. I agree. The Great San Marino Challenge is a scenario in which the participant must control both the Sammarinese national team and the Italian Serie C2 side 'San Marino'.
For further details read the thread, and good luck!

Pre-season, July 2011:

View attachment 248765

Transfers (in):
View attachment 248766

Davide Cesarini (DC) (Free) - A 16 year old defender. My first signing and it was extremely rushed. I was, at this point, focused on developing young Sammarinese talent. Maybe with time he will develop, which is why for now he remains in the U20's.

Alessandro Golinucci (M/AM R) (Free) - Another 16 year old who I may regret signing. No substantial harm to my budget though. Also dropped to U20's to develop.

Mattia Merlini (AMC) (Free) - Has a certain amount of teamwork, flair and determination. Quite high levels for such a young player. Currently in the U20's to gain experience.

Riccardo Aluigi (ST) (Free) - Another young Sammarinese player, who I aim to develop for my assault on the European powerhouses in later years. No notable stats, but I never know what might happen with my quality youth facilities...

Maximiliano Baizan (DM/M C) (Free) - A young defensive midfielder of whom I expect mediocrity. Nothing special, a definite impulse buy. In the U20's.

Mathieu Gomes (AM/M R) (£20k) - Finally, something interesting. A French winger who is nothing special but will do for Serie C2. None of his stats are jaw-dropping but these do not reflect his in game performances which have been, on the whole, pleasing.

Marco Piccinni (MC) (Free) - Probably one of my best captures. An out of favour midfielder at Bari, I managed to offer him a contract and he obliged. He is one of my key players so far.

Transfers (out):

None.

Fixtures:

Friendly: San Marino 4-0 San Marino Reserves (D'Antoni (2), Ingrosso (OG), Pieri)
A game that I was expected to win, and did so convincingly. D'Antoni bagged a brace and the 4-0 scoreline was helped by a deflected own goal and a stoppage time tap in.

Friendly: Grubbio 4-1 San Marino (Poletti)
Poletti grabbed the opener on the 8th minute, and I had high hopes. This was a team we should have comfortably beaten. But four separate scorers ensured my team was condemned rather harshly to defeat.

Friendly: Todi 0-3 San Marino (Gomes, Vitaioli, Pieri)
We set out by dominating this game from the kick-off. Sure enough, after 10 minutes the new boy Gomes had netted, and only 18 minutes later Vitaioli doubled our lead. I was sure of the victory by the 60th mintes so I made some changes to preserve fitness levels. One of the substitues, Pieri, grabbed a goal. He had come off the bench twice and scored twice very late on.

Summary:

A fairly mixed bag. It is clear that I made a handful of impulse buys, simply trying to grab some young Sammarinese players that could help me in the future. Gomes has turned out to be a big signing, and there are also a fair few names to be added to the list for August.
The month of August holds two more friendlies against stiff opposition, an International Friendly against Israel and some Serie C Cup games.

Last edited:
So, after my positive start in the pre-season I was hoping to continue momentum and possibly cause an upset on the international front, trying to achieve a result against Israel. I also added in a plethora of new players and haven't spent another penny in the transfer market!

Pre-season/
Serie C Cup, August 2011:
View attachment 248799

Transfers (
in):

Wellington (ST) (Free) - A very talented young striker. Unfortunately he will not be able to play a part in my national team as he is Brazilian. Despite this I am sure he will be able to play a big role in my club's glory.

Marco Spalazzi (ST) (Free) - I already regret signing Spalazzi and I haven’t even played him. He is a vastly underwhelming Italian striker that is 20 years of age. None of his stats dazzle anyone, albeit his 15 teamwork is notable. Impulse Buy

Salvatore Montella (ST) (Free) – A 17 year old forward who could be a hot prospect for the future. His pace and acceleration are what caused me to sign him, as he could well be a great converted winger or possibly a poacher.

Valerio Vittori (D/WB R) (Free) - I realised that I was lacking in the defensive department, and most of my signings had been attacking minded midfielders or strikers. So I signed a WBL and a WBR pair, both with the forename Valerio. I can sense a formidable partnership being made with 'The Valerio Twins', which is going to be built in Reserve/U20 matches.

Valerio Vincenzi (D/WB L) (Free) - The other 'Valerio Twin'. Vincenzi lags behind Vittori in terms of his ability to take the ball on and Vittori is a little bit more determined. But Vincenzi makes up for this with his agility and long shots. A good pair, and they are hotly tipped to become my wing backs later on.

Matteo Pivotto (D RC) (Free) - Often an old hand is needed to steady the ship, and San Marino is no exception. Pivotto is both physically and mentally strong, and possess the ability to be an aerial threat. His experience will be invaluable and he will no doubt keep the defence in line.

Giovanni De Giambattista (AM R) (Free) - This is another example of a signing more out of hope than anything. I realise that De Giambattista does not have any brilliant stats, but the fact that he is 18 compensates for this. I am hoping that he will progress enough to make me a tidy amount on a future sale.

Mohammed Gulraiz - (ST/AM LC) (Free) - This could be the season maker. Gulraiz is an extremely gifted 21 year old striker. He has netted in many games as you will see in the fixtures section.

Nicola Bergo (M R) (Free) - An extremely hot prospect. A 16 year old with exceptional technique and an ability to work with his team well. Quickly signed him to a full contract as many Serie B teams were becoming interested as soon as I signed him.

Tommaso Mansi (AM/M C) (Free) - A very aggressive youngster. With 17 aggression I am cautious when it comes to playing him as my team has a disciplinary problem already. If his temper can be calmed then he will no doubt have a fine career.

Mamadou Danfa (DM) (Free) - Danfa was purchased as my Scout highly recommended me to. As I had never taken the advice of my Scout at that point I thought it was time to test his ability. Time will tell if Danfa comes out big, or maybe he can make an immediate impact

Transfers (out):

None.

Fixtures:

Friendly: San Marino 0-0 Reggina
A game in which I felt we were unlucky not to upset the big team. We had 53% of the possession and 4 shots on target (to their 3). However I could not fault the team as we were expected to lose heavily. It gave them a massive morale boost and continued our mainly positive results.

Friendly: San Marino 3-3 Cesena (Gulraiz (2), Pelagatti)
Wow. A huge upset. My new signing Gulraiz making a huge impact. We took the lead in the 8th minute through Gulraiz and then Pelagatti made it 2-0 in the 15th minute! But three goals in twenty minutes from Cesena saw the game slip out of our grasp. From the kick-off, Gulraiz made a daring run towards the penalty area and was hacked down. He put away the penalty to make it 3-3, and that was how the match ended.
International Friendly: Israel 7-0 San Marino:
If I said I was surprised I would be lying. The simply fact is we were outplayed. Benayoun scored a magnificent free-kick in the first minute, and Itay Shechter grabbed four goals as we were slaughtered. After this game I began to dread the fixture against Holland. What would the likes of Robin Van Persie, Arjen Robben and Dirk Kuyt do to me?

Serie C Cup (Grp H): San Marino 3-0 Sambonifacese (Gulraiz (2), Poletti)
Finally, my first competitive match. I expected a narrow victory but two Gulraiz goals in five minutes soon changed my mind. We dominated the whole of the game and our reward came when Poletti scored deep into injury time.

Serie C Cup (Grp H): Rivini 1-2 San Marino (Poletti, Gulraiz)
Scoring started to become a habit for these two, but so did discipline. A yellow card for Gulraiz in this game and the following has earnt him a suspension for the final group game. I was disappointed with the margin of victory, but the three points was vital to keep going.

Serie C Cup (Grp H): San Marino 1-1 Renate (Gomes)
A thoroughly disappointing result. We had the chance to build up a big points lead, but we could not do it. Renate scored fairly quickly but my £20k signing Gomes was on hand to smartly bend the ball around the powerless keeper. For the rest of the match it seemed as though we were going to win it, even hitting the post in the 92nd minute!

Competitions:
Serie C Cup (Grp H): With the final game coming up, qualification is in our hands. As we are playing Santarcangelo, and are two points clear, we only require a draw to progress. My fingers are crossed that things don't do disastrously at the final hurdle!

(Played: 3)
Won: 2
Drawn: 1
Lost: 0

Summary:

A very pleasing month for the club. Some big results in friendlies which gave us spirit and momentum to plough through the opposition and record a first three games without defeat. However the same cannot be said for the International team, conceding 7 in one match. That is only two goals short of the amount the domestic side have conceded throughout their whole campaign!

September is a cruical month, with a Euro 2012 Qualifying game against Holland, the last of the group games in the Serie C Cup, and the beginning of the domestic season in Serie C2/A

Last edited:
So August was a fairly successful, friendlies were over and now I was down to the business end of things. The transfer window was shut, which meant I couldn't pay for any more players. I relished the thought of my challenges in the League, Cup and Euro qualifiers. So let's get into it.

Serie C2/Serie C Cup/International, September 2011:
View attachment 248866

Transfers (in):

None.

Transfers (out):

None.

Fixtures:

Euro Ch'ship Quals Grp E: Holland 6-0 San Marino
My fans were 'disappointed' with this result, which I cannot understand at all. I was expecting a loss in the double figures, and I was happy with my boys from stopping RVP grabbing the hat trick. I knew that I shouldn't expect anything and it would take a miracle to even score.

Serie C Cup (Grp H): Santarcangelo 2-2 San Marino (Poletti, Gomes)
In my last post I talked about hoping things don't do disastrously - and they very nearly did. Santarcangelo took the lead in the second minute and it was an uphill battle from there. Poletti equalised but as soon as the whistle blew for the second half to start, we were 2-1 down. My £20k signing Gomes came up big when it mattered and equalised and we ground out the draw to go through!

Serie C Cup 1st Round: San Marino vs. Casale - 5.10.2011

Euro Ch'ship Quals Grp E: San Marino 0-8 Sweden
Well I expected a loss, but not quite in this fashion. 7 goals from Ibrahimovic quickly silenced my players and they all seemed down and dejected. I now hope that I can pick myself and try and get a result from Moldova.

Serie C2/A
: Giacomense 0-4 San Marino (Gomes, Piccinni, Poletti, Fogacci)
My first Serie C2 game and it went brilliantly. Once again Gomes grabs a goal, and by this point I was convinced that the £20k was justified. Midfield Maestro Piccinni grabbed one and another couple of goals set me up for a good run.

Serie C2/A: San Marino 4-2 Mantova (Gulraiz (2), Ferrero, Villanova)
Another victory, albeit unconvincing. The scoreline does not reflect the game. Gulraiz chalked one up in the third minute and also slotted home a penalty, but our midfield was dominated. With the help of a deflection and a header we recorded a perfect start, with some big scorelines.

Serie C2/A: San Marino 3-0 Cuneo (Fogacci, Gulraiz, Pieri)
Once again a positive result, and by this point I was already considering a serious title challenge. After an impressive group stage in the Cup and three straight wins in the League things were looking good, and there was talk of a title push. Pieri once again got a rather irrelevant late goal after coming off the bench, but a goal is a goal.

Serie C2/A
: Poggibonsi 0-0 San Marino
Disappointed to say the least. This was a game which I was expected to win by a similar margin to the games that ran prior. Instead Poggibonsi sat tight at the back and a very lackluster Gulraiz failed to live up to the high standards he had set. Still better than a defeat

Serie C2/A: San Marino 3-0 Santarcangelo (Pivotto, Gulraiz, Di Benedetto)
After the very tight game which I almost lost in the Serie C Cup, I expected a hard-fought game and maybe my first defeat as Manager of San Marino. However Pivotto's header in the 26th minute changed the flow of the tide. Gulraiz netted a tidy finish and out of favour left back Di Benedetto hammered one home from 2 yards to score his first ever goal for San Marino.

Competitions:
Serie C Cup: After a strong finish to the group stages, we have been drawn against Casale for the first round of the Serie C Cup. It is a game I expect to win, however I am not sure how comfortable this will be.

Serie C2/A:
An almost flawless start, which sees us sitting pretty in first place. Some great forward play from Gulraiz and Co. and solid performances from the unsung hero, goalkeeper Andrea Russo. October promises to be a fruitful month if we continue this form.

Position: 1st
(Played: 5)
Won: 4
Lost: 0

Euro Ch'ship Quals Grp E:
Not much to mention here. We hadn't a hope in **** of getting out of there with any kind of respectable result, and these last two games have mathematically condemned us to mediocrity. Better luck next time.

Summary:

More of the same. Winning ways for the club, and shambolic displays from the country. My patience has not yet been tried as I have expected heavier loses, but a friendly against Kuwait has been scheduled for November.
October is another very big month. I play the last of my Euro 2012 Qualifying games against Moldova, however I am still not the bookies favourite. For the club, I carry on my season in the Serie C2/A and have my Serie C Cup 1st Round game, which will be very exciting. Also, a couple of new transfers arrive at the Titani.

Last edited:
No, playing on 12.0.2
Is there a big difference?
No it was just that on the patch you are using there is a Serie A level Brazilian playmaker called Eric who you can sign on a bosman around February to March time who is on loan at Karpaty in Ukraine's top division and is contracted to Metropolitano (SC) in Brazil who you may be able to sign at some point you may have to get promoted first though but if you keep trying you might get a class playmaker.

No it was just that on the patch you are using there is a Serie A level Brazilian playmaker called Eric who you can sign on a bosman around February to March time who is on loan at Karpaty in Ukraine's top division and is contracted to Metropolitano (SC) in Brazil who you may be able to sign at some point you may have to get promoted first though but if you keep trying you might get a class playmaker.

Ah okay well thanks for the heads up. :) I'll keep a lookout for him and see if I can get him. I hope you enjoy this, if you think there is any way I can improve it let me know.

Ah okay well thanks for the heads up. :) I'll keep a lookout for him and see if I can get him. I hope you enjoy this, if you think there is any way I can improve it let me know.
A bit of advise on transfer policy would be sign younger players who will boss your current division while developing or sign players who can make 2 or 3 divisions higher up. You will also need to to make your tactic really defensive when you reach Serie B so you just basically have it set to counter or defensive at the start and then move up to standard or even control when your players start getting comfortable at this level although if they are not doing brilliantly I wouldn't dare move up to standard away from home.

So, September went pretty well. An almost flawless start and a blitz through the group stage of the Cup. The internationals' did not go so well, but I do not expect anything from those at this early stage. I had high expectations for October and I wanted to continue my winning streak.

Serie C2/Serie C Cup/International, October 2011:
View attachment 249172

Transfers (in):

Giancarlo Salve (ST) (Free) - This month's signings were all young players who were sent to the U20's to develop. I am building up a stockpile of U20 players so that I can keep the best ones, and the less spectacular ones can be sold because I am guaranteed a profit. This young lad's first touch and dribbling caught my eye, and who knows what might happen.

Nicola Montrone (M R) (Free) - I was extremely impressed with the all-round stats of this young right midfielder. I do not have a right midfielder in my tactics so I have also sent him to the U20's. I will keep a close eye on him.

Silvio Scarpa (ST/AM RL) (Free) - A very pacy and nimble forward. Very versatile, considering he can slot into three positions on my Starting XI. I hope for him to become integral to the team as time goes on.

Gianluca Bottoni (AM C) (Free) -A few big stats but not much. I am aiming to train him a little then sell him on. He does not fit into my team so this is my attempt at wheeling and dealing, and setting up a West Ham-esque youth team, which I can profit from.

Transfers (out):

None.

Fixtures:

Serie C2/A: Valenzana 0-2 San Marino (Gulraiz (2))
A game which we dominated from the get-go. 60% of possession and clear quality throughout provided a rather comfortable victory. Gulraiz once again on form.

Serie C Cup (1st Round): San Marino 3-1 Casale (Ferrero, Mansi (2))
What. A. Game. Ferrero put us 1-0 up shortly after the break, but Casale swiftly equalised. Tommaso Mansi (who came on as a substitute) then came on strong with two absolutely cracking goals. Both were long range benders from outside the box, and this young lad is proving to be a super-sub already.

Serie C2/A: San Marino 1-0 Montichiari (Gulraiz)
Gulraiz once again scored in a very tight game in which we were forced to defend our lead vigorously. We conceded a penalty early on which our keeper smartly saved, showing he meant business. But I was beginning to get worried. My main bulk of goals are coming from Gulraiz, and if he were to suffer an injury could anyone fill his boots?

Euro Ch'ship Quals Grp E: Moldova 5-0 San Marino
I genuinely expected a little more from my team. Disappointing not to score but then what do you expect from this Sammarinese team? Oh well, better luck next time. There were some positives on the pitch, but same old story.

Serie C2/A: Virtus Entella 0-2 San Marino (Gulraiz, Gomes)
The usual scoreline was beginning to settle in. Win after win in the league and confidence in the team was sky-high. Gulraiz was netting every game and Gomes was beginning to find form that has justified that £20k fee. My two best signings so far.

Serie C2/A: San Marino 3-0 Savona (Polleti, Fennino (OG), Pigini)
The media tipped this as one of the closest games of the season. Well they were very wrong. Polleti scored in the 5th minute and we never looked back. With some help from a deflection and a great goal by Pigini we secured yet another victory. The San Marino powerhouse was in full flow.
This team is now my feeder club. Carlsberg don't do humiliation, but if they did...

Serie C2/A: Bellaria 0-1 San Marino (Ferrero)
Ferrero stepped up his performance for the big game, and boy did he deliver the goods. A headed goal in the 11th minute was all that seperated the Titani and our bitter rivals. Bragging rights go to us now!

Serie C Cup (2nd Round): Portosummaga 1-2 San Marino (Gulraiz (2))
Is there nothing that he cannot do? Gulraiz scored the opener and quickly grabbed the second after a speedy reply from Portosummaga. It is impossible to overestimate the influence and importance Gulraiz has had on my team. He has single handedly lead us to victory on numerous occasions.

Serie C2/A
: San Marino 2-3 Renate (Gulraiz (2))
All good things must come to an end. The scoreline flatters our shoddy performance. All 5 goals came in the second half. An unfortunate own goal from Piccini opened the floodgates.
Gulraiz grabbed a goal in the 83rd minute, and the 86th. This gave us a glimmer of hope, I set the team to Overload but to no avail. I have lost my first competitive match as San Marino manager.

Competitions:
Serie C Cup: An easy 1st round left us with difficult opposition in the 2nd round. However the big man Gulraiz came up and scored a brace which has put us through to the second group stages. The group is as follows:
I am not sure what to expect from this group, so I await the first fixture with eager anticipation

Serie C2/A:
A disappointing end to a rather positive month. That loss does not affect the positioning though, we still sit top of Serie C2/A and are good measure for it. I have been impressed with the team's performance and I hope to recover quickly in October and record a win.

(Played: 11)
Won: 9
Lost: 1

Euro Ch'ship Quals Grp E: Game officially over. We chalked up 0 points, and scored 0 goals. Good effort, but nothing to show for it.

Player of the month:
Without a shadow of a doubt, Mohammed Gulraiz. 8 goals in this month alone, and without him we would have lost the Serie C cup game, and drawn 2 of our league games. Also, he spared us an embarrassing 3-0 scoreline, and clawed us back some Goal Difference which could prove crucial! Below is an updated version of his stats.
Summary:

I cannot be disappointed with the effort that the team has put in. Despite the defeat, it has been an amazing month and we still sit top of the League! The national team is completely out of the Euro 2012 qualifiers, and this month there is a friendly against Kuwait. Also, the Serie C Cup 3rd Rnd Grp D starts. I look forward to posting again with news of more positive results.​

Last edited:
This is a good youth team tactic because as your reputation grows you start getting lucrative co-ownership offers for these players and then a year or two later they bid nothing so you keep him and then sell him as a full transfer and I've heard that is the main source of keeping afloat for people doing the San Marino Challenge.

The best thing about your team is your tight defense, you can always rely on Gulraiz to get a goal and when you have a good defense you only need 1 goal, also doing this challenge but on youtube.

The best thing about your team is your tight defense, you can always rely on Gulraiz to get a goal and when you have a good defense you only need 1 goal, also doing this challenge but on youtube.

I will check it out :) and yeah my defence has been solid this season. Even if they do concede then Gulraiz goes crazy and scores loads.

So October saw my first competitive defeat as San Marino Calcio manager. I was unhappy because we had had such an amazing run, but I had to look forward. An international friendly against Kuwait and some more Serie C Cup madness awaits!
Oh, and another transfer too.

Serie C2/
Serie C Cup/International, October 2011:
View attachment 249681

Transfers (
in):

Alessandro Zonzini (D RC) (Free)
- I am merely attempting to bring in some Sammarinese youths and improve their stats. Zonzini was recommended for the full San Marino squad (not sure why) and I decided I'd sign him after he won his first cap. A 17 year old with shoddy stats, but he's Sammarinese!

Transfers (out):

None.

Fixtures:

Serie C2/A: Treviso 1-2 San Marino (Fogacci, Poletti)
A game in which possession was pretty even, but we dominated shots. Treviso got one back in the 89th minute but it was too late and we came back with a win after being beaten in our last game.

Serie C2/A: San Marino 2-0 Lecco (Gulraiz (2))
Another game which we were lucky to win. Gulraiz scored two goals in 4 minutes but other than that we were hard pressed to keep our lead. They had a lot more possession than us but they had hardly any shots, which is probably why we won.

Serie C2/A: Pro Patria 1-2 San Marino (Mansi, Chiaretti)
A result that didn't really raise too many eyebrows. I would have liked to have won by a larger margin but three points is three points. Mansi scored from outside the box before Pro Patria levelled with a penalty. Chiaretti came on as a sub and after hitting the bar and falling over multiple times he stabbed a rebound in from 6 yards.

Serie C Cup (3rd Round Grp D): San Marino 4-1 Prato (Gomes, Pivotto, Giardina (OG), Poletti)
I think I died a little inside at this scoreline. We dominated throughout the whole of the match. Prato's only shot on target was their goal and they only had 41% of possession. We trounced a decent Serie C1 side and I was excited to face our next opponents.

International Friendly: Kuwait 2-0 San Marino
I did kind of expect more from my team. I thought we might have at least been able to score but I was pleased to finally see a regular scoreline. This is all progress on the way to San Marino's first ever win in a competitive match. However they did have 20 shots to our pathetic 3.

Serie C2/A: San Marino 3-0 Alessandria (Gulraiz (2), Gomes)
The formidable partnership was back. I was relieved to finally see Gulraiz and Gomes on the scoresheet together. Usually they are constantly setting each other up, and there was a period when they did not do so. But when their partnership strikes it strikes big. A positive result considering Alessandria were sitting in 2nd place.

Serie C Cup (3rd Round Grp D): Carpi 1-3 San Marino (Gomes (2), Fogacci)
Another game against Serie C1 opposition and we smashed it again. We were 2-0 up by half time and Fogacci added a neat little header to make it 3-0. They pulled back a goal and then put us against the ropes for a short amount of time, but we held it off and qualified for the semi-final!

Serie C2/A: Borgo a Buggiano 0-3 San Marino (Mansi, Pivotto, Chiaretti)
A very congested fixture list meant that I had to rest a lot of my key players, including Gulraiz and Gomes. However Chiaretti filled their boots with a good goal, and Mansi was beginning to make a name for himself as a goalscoring midfielder.

Serie C2/A: San Marino 1-0 Casale (Villanova)
I wanted to see a more positive result than this. Casale dominated us in the first half and could have scored on countless occasions however I was glad that the defence held firm. Villanova came on as a sub and then only a few minutes later he converted a Poletti cross to make it 1-0. We held that lead and won the final game of November.

Competitions:
Serie C Cup: We blitzed through our second group stage, taking no prisoners and recording some emphatic victories. I am hoping the semi-final draw will be kind to us, but coming this far and beating such good opposition I am optimistic whatever happens.

Serie C2/A: A brilliant season so far. I am not sure to what extent other managers share this success but I have managed an outstanding team. A 12 point lead at the end of November and a promotion 6-pointer against Rimini first game of December. I for one cannot wait!

(Played: 17)
Won: 15
Lost: 1
Player of the month:
This month an unlikely choice for the player of the month. I chose my goalkeeper, Andrea Russo. He kept 4 clean sheets this month and received a few Man Of The Match awards along the way. He has been crucial throughout my campaign this year but then so has every player.
From next month onward I will feature a particular highlight which swayed my opinion on player of the month.

Summary:

Overall, a very positive month.
No loss this month which surprised me as we went into many games and played a long period of time with out backs against the wall. I am happy to let my team park the bus if needs be, and to let them go out and attack. It all depends on the opposition.
Next month features a promotion 6-pointer against Rimini, a massively high scoring match and plenty of action.

I think you should only sign Sammarinese stars with at least 1 star of potential because players with less potential will not be good enough for the NT. That guy who you just signed is appalling though and shouldn't be played again.