Sir Alex Ferguson talks to BBC! Manchester United boss ready for a peace summit with

• Thread starter Thread starter Adam 24
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 31
  • Views Views 3K

Adam 24

Reaction score
Sir Alex Ferguson talks to BBC! Manchester United boss ready for a peace summit with Corporation

Sir Alex Ferguson and BBC director-general Mark Thompson have agreed to a meeting to discuss the Manchester United manager’s six-year snub of the Corporation.

The summit has been brokered by Premier League chairman Sir Dave Richards in his attempt to get Ferguson talking to the BBC again and so avoid the need for the League to take action over Sir Alex’s continued breaching of their media regulations.

article-0-0B3F8F1800000578-599_634x355.jpg
Turning over a new leaf? Sir Alex Ferguson's ban of talking to the BBC could be coming to an end

The level of the fines for Ferguson was decided during a League board meeting last October, but Manchester United will not be informed until Richards has exhausted all avenues in ending Fergie’s silence — prompted by his massive displeasure over a BBC3 documentary in 2004 about his football agent son Jason.

Getting Ferguson and Thompson in the same room is a sign of progress, although a date for this notable occasion has yet to be fixed. The expectation is that it will take place near or at the end of the football season.

article-0-0B47D50800000578-483_634x425.jpg
Building bridges: BBC director-general Mark Thompson will meet with Ferguson at a yet-to-be-agreed date

Ferguson has maintained from the start of the marathon stand-off that he wants an apology from the director-general.

The BBC insist, equally strongly, that he won’t receive one. Certainly the much-criticised Richards deserves credit, for once, if an unlikely compromise can be reached.

article-0-0D91FF0F000005DC-925_634x357.jpg
Recent form: Ferguson chose to ignore his media requirements with the BBC following United's 3-1 defeat to Liverpool

The ridiculous five-month delay in breaking the news to Old Trafford about the size of the Ferguson fines has irritated rival clubs and reinforced the impression that there is one rule for United and another for the other 19 teams in the division.

The low-key BBC programme at the heart of the dispute concentrated on Jason’s dealings as an agent with United but revealed little that wasn’t in the public domain.

Ferguson has never taken legal action over the contents.

Last edited:
He's receiving a fine for not wanting to talk to a corporation that tried to make his son out to be a bad guy without any proof or evidence to suggest such a thing?
Well what the frocking ****.

Misleading title much?

Don't really expect it to happen tbh - Don't remember the documentary though I find it somewhat hard to believe their suggestions were based on no evidence whatsoever & so SAF is being pretty petty in holding a 6 year grudge - though most of the top managers are pretty stubborn and determined to have their way so that's nothing new...

The clubs recent losses are proberly down to these fines thats why lol.

Misleading title much?

Don't really expect it to happen tbh - Don't remember the documentary though I find it somewhat hard to believe their suggestions were based on no evidence whatsoever & so SAF is being pretty petty in holding a 6 year grudge - though most of the top managers are pretty stubborn and determined to have their way so that's nothing new...

Hardly petty. I'd like to see what you would do if someone made allegations like that about your son which were false.

Hardly petty. I'd like to see what you would do if someone made allegations like that about your son which were false.

You forget Joss, likes to call Sir Alex either Pathetic or Petty on every thread where his name is mentioned... It is like a pathetic/ petty fetish of his.

You forget Joss, likes to call Sir Alex either Pathetic or Petty on every thread where his name is mentioned... It is like a pathetic/ petty fetish of his.

This thing i beleive was not petty or pathetic but Wenger not buying a keeper is pathetic lol.

This thing i beleive was not petty or pathetic but Wenger not buying a keeper is pathetic lol.

Oh you only gone and done it now... Expect a lecture abou how arsenal have 3 quality keepers.

OK then... All I'm saying is that for someone to hold a grudge for 6 years seems a little extreme - you've made your point and all he's doing is inviting fines and criticism.

If Wenger did it, I'd call it pathetic - the idea of not talking to a whole organization, despite the PL media rules saying you have to because they accused his son, along with other people of taking bungs or whatever it was, is, to me a little petty.

Especially, as I said, since I doubt (but I can't remember the programme, so there may have been evidence since to say contrary) that the BBC made the entire thing up without having any reason/evidence for suspicion.

I've called him pathetic once for having a media blackout - refusing to talk to anyone, and making that decision PRIOR to the game because he felt hard done by when he questioned a referee's integrity & people criticised him for it. He refused to even speak to MUTV because they aired his comments instead of cutting them.

What the **** has that got to do with anything? Stop trolling - I thought you were past that.

---------- Post added at 07:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:59 PM ----------

Oh you only gone and done it now... Expect a lecture abou how arsenal have 3 quality keepers.

And I'm pathetic?

I cant stand Alex Ferguson but can totally understand why he wont talk to them. The BBC produced a documentary that was basically lies and if anyone is being stubborn its the BBC for not apologising sooner. More to the point we pay our liscence fee for them to make such bollox!

OK then... All I'm saying is that for someone to hold a grudge for 6 years seems a little extreme - you've made your point and all he's doing is inviting fines and criticism.

If Wenger did it, I'd call it pathetic - the idea of not talking to a whole organization, despite the PL media rules saying you have to because they accused his son, along with other people of taking bungs or whatever it was, is, to me a little petty.

Especially, as I said, since I doubt (but I can't remember the programme, so there may have been evidence since to say contrary) that the BBC made the entire thing up without having any reason/evidence for suspicion.

I've called him pathetic once for having a media blackout - refusing to talk to anyone, and making that decision PRIOR to the game because he felt hard done by when he questioned a referee's integrity & people criticised him for it. He refused to even speak to MUTV because they aired his comments instead of cutting them.

What the **** has that got to do with anything? Stop trolling - I thought you were past that.

---------- Post added at 07:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:59 PM ----------

And I'm pathetic?

It was a joke Joss otherwise i wouldnt have put "lol".

Hehe, Reeling him in now lads... Keep on biting,

And I'm pathetic?

Oh, Please If anyone writes anything about someones son, they have a reason to be ******... At least he has stuck to his words.

You called him pathetic on about 5 different threads in the space of 5 hours, but thats a different matter.

I never once called you pathetic, can you find the post where i did, i can see me calling it a pathetic fetish of yours, but not calling you pathetic.

And I'm pathetic?

If the BBC actually apologised to him for airing that program then he would probably talk. It's quite petty from the BBC for not apologising when the allegations made were proved to be false.

It was a joke Joss otherwise i wouldnt have put "lol".

I know, it was just completely unnecessary. (H)

Oh, Please If anyone writes anything about someones son, they have a reason to be ******... At least he has stuck to his words.

Obviously.. For 6 years, though? Just saying it seems a little extreme.

Hehe, Reeling him in now lads... Keep on biting,

You called him pathetic on about 5 different threads in the space of 5 hours, but thats a different matter.

I really don't think I did call him pathetic on 5 different threads in 5 hours, but I may be wrong.

I never once called you pathetic, can you find the post where i did, i can see me calling it a pathetic fetish of yours, but not calling you pathetic.

You know what I mean.

If the BBC actually apologised to him for airing that program then he would probably talk. It's quite petty from the BBC for not apologising when the allegations made were proved to be false.

Without wanting to suggest this is completely untrue, but simply because I'd be interested to see it:

Have you got a link to where it says the allegations were proved to be false?

If that's true, then the BBC should definitely apologise, and should've done their research properly. As I said, I wasn't sure whether they had been proved false but it seemed unlikely that the BBC just made it up.

Obviously.. For 6 years, though? Just saying it seems a little extreme.

I really don't think I did call him pathetic on 5 different threads in 5 hours, but I may be wrong.

You know what I mean.

Without wanting to suggest this is completely untrue, but simply because I'd be interested to see it:

Have you got a link to where it says the allegations were proved to be false?

If that's true, then the BBC should definitely apologise, and should've done their research properly. As I said, I wasn't sure whether they had been proved false but it seemed unlikely that the BBC just made it up.

I think it is extremem for the BBC not to say Sorry, and i wouldnt talk to them if they did.

I think i may have been exaggerated incase you didnt pick up on it.... BUt you did it a lot.

No i have no idea what you are talking about,

Well no charges came upon him.

I think it is extremem for the BBC not to say Sorry, and i wouldnt talk to them if they did.

I think i may have been exaggerated incase you didnt pick up on it.... BUt you did it a lot.

No i have no idea what you are talking about,

Basically this. He was took to court and was found innocent of all the charges he was accused of.

It is if they were proved wrong. They're both being pretty stubborn tbh.

That's different to actually being found to have no evidence/proved wrong, but fair enough.

---------- Post added at 07:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 PM ----------

Basically this. He was took to court and was found innocent of all the charges he was accused of.

Fair enough, but then shouldn't SAF/Jason Ferguson sue the BBC for libel? Instead of blanking them..

Back