Sir Bobby Robson got Bruce Sunderland job?

McGovern.

andymcg44 v.2
Reaction score
Interesting read...

Steve Bruce has revealed how Sir Bobby Robson helped land him the Sunderland job.

The Newcastle legend wrote to Black Cats chairman Niall Quinn to recommend Bruce. And Bruce had consulted Robson about the post shortly before his fellow Geordie died in July 2009.

“I spoke to Bobby at length when he was ill about coming to Sunderland,” said Bruce. “There were times during my time in management when I would ring him for advice.

“I know Sir Bobby wrote a fantastic letter to Niall, which I thank him for, and said I was the man for the job.

“I wasn’t aware of that until Niall told me.

“Occasions like Sunday’s game would have been great for him had he been around.’’

Link

Excellent north-east footballing man. One of the best moments of my life was being part of 2,000 Sunderland fans singing 'There's only one Bobby Robson' away at Celtic just a few days after he passed.

One of the best moments of my life was being part of 2,000 Sunderland fans singing 'There's only one Bobby Robson' away at Celtic just a few days after he passed.

And that's why I ******* love football.

He was a brilliant man. One of the best ever in football.

Never had a bad word about anyone. To be sacked for coming 5th was a joke. Now, we can only dream.

Just goes to show the heart and judgment of such a great man.

I read this article of my itouch last night, he was just an incredible man, without him there'd be no Mourinho, Bruce and many others

Great man and manager, hate the way Shepherd treated him. Thanks to the Sir Bobby Robson Foundation and the special cancer wing it added to the Freeman Hospital my Nana was able to live an extra year with cancer.

Great man and manager, hate the way Shepherd treated him. Thanks to the Sir Bobby Robson Foundation and the special cancer wing it added to the Freeman Hospital my Nana was able to live an extra year with cancer.

He truly is a great man. A real football fan - used to come to some Sunderland home games. When violence etc. insues on Sunday and the mass hatred - people should look at a great human like SBR.

That's heartwarming.

Such a great person who always had the best interests of people at heart, hate the way he was treated by Shepherd