Vadermage

Reaction score
When someone reads those 3 words together first thing that would come to ones mind would be a total mad man strapped on a bed in some run down Asylum, well in truth its different, the sleeping giant part refers to once great football club now in ruins and still awaiting for its awakening, on other hand pinball is exactly what one might think, a pinball arcade.

View attachment 86574View attachment 86573

The formation is a 451 with withdrawn CF into AMC position, so in truth its 460, the reason for using AMC strata instead of ST one is role suitability, Shadow striker in mine opinion gets far more involved in build up play and is far more dangerous with his runs behind defence than any role in ST strata, he is always there for build up and he is always in front when teammates are looking for a runner.
The setup is based as a CB DM CB triangle being a defensive unit, while Def Mid has support role in truth he is your holding player, he is a back pass option so that your players don't make shots from 30 meters and instead have a passing outlet available at almost all times, the CB positions and roles are self explanatory, the left FB is there to provide width and a passing outlet and encourage the AP on attack and left IF to move further up and make impact in last third of the pitch, left IF has the same PI as one on the right and he has Get further forward upon all of it, the reason is I want him to make runs and pin the defence baack and allow AP to have the space and time he needs to receive the ball and try to make killer balls or to spread his influence on the game. Right FB is set on attacking duty, he is supposed to go further forward and try to cross the ball when your offense hits a wall, he will move forward when he sees there is space and when he sees that if he goes forward he won't risk his defensive duty, the main reason I opted for FB roles instead of WB ones is the defense part, the FB put defense and defensive stability first and then other dutyes. The BBM is your engine he is supposed to run around and looks for ball further up the pitch, him and DM have similar role, the difference is BBM has his own freedom to roam around and follow the ball while DM is supposed to stay behind and be a recycler. The final role is SS he is your marauding forward from AMC strata, the reason for his positioning is explained in first few lines, as for attacking movement he forms a diamond shape with AP BBM and DM and pulls and pins the defence depending on his movement off and on the ball.

So why is this called pinball?

The SS AP and BBM positions provide a roaming trio, thats a trio of players which will work in danger zone the players in FBs DM FBa L IF and R IF are the edges, or the players who will rarely roam and stay around their designated position, the idea is for the trio to roam while the rest stay around their area and by shitfting defence left and right make space for runners, both dual wide man pairings are runners and can use the space the rest of the team creates efficiently.

The IF are instructed to stay Wider so that the play is stretched and that defence has to cover more ground leaving their man to man space gaps bigger than usual, those gaps allow for multiple options, a player can move in between and try to make a run, he can pull defenders of position, if there is a gap a player can look to play a dangerous pass trough or from it, a player can try to switch the ball from one side to the other and find exposed weakness, in mine opinion the half shift and full shift are the best methods of finding pockets of space and utilizing them in modern football.

GK: best you can get, look from scouting report;
FBs: your usual LB, some passing, some def cappability, some crossing and pace and voila, I'm using Ristic in mine save to full extent, he isn't fast but he is a monster, I think Alex Grimaldo or Alaba sort of player would do amazing job, a pacey one to work from spot to spot, or a mid type of player to recycle the ball whenever he can;
CB: best you can get with some all rounded stats, I'm in firm opinion that Mustafi is one of the most complete CB in this years edition of FM, in mine save I;m using Dinga, Jovanovic and Stojanovic most of the time, tho Frimpong was awesome until money sniffed him out of mine hands.
FBa: All of the stuff I said for FBs plus pace, lots of pace, like millions of pace, Think of Clyne, Bellerin, a playr who has enough speed to make a quick run from deep and get the ball and cross it inside, even a player who doesn't have lots of pace can do it, but if he fails he needs to track back, bear that in mind. I'm using Lakicevic and PEtkovic in mine saves and they are both performing really good both offense and defense wise.
DMs: This one here is a safety pin, he is a tough role to perform and lots of responsibilitty is on his shoulders, in mine save in firse season Le Tallec and Djakaridja Kone performed here for me and did a good job, now I got Besic who is faster and technicaly more rounded than both of them. If you want perfection there are few players that can come to mine mind: Kante, Rabiot, Neves(if developed properly), Thiago Maia(same as Neves), Henderson, Hummels(if retrained) and last but not the least MATIC(A MONSTER IN DM STRATA!!!)
BBM: all rounded player who can def, score, assist, and make space, I'm using Grujic on a loan here and Poletanovic as backup for him, in first season it was Donald and Poletanovic, as for the best of the best it would be Vidal, Pogba, Jorginho, Allan...
APa: Your usual playmaker, make a run, dribble, pass, shoot if there is a chance, I'm using Kanga nad Maksimovic(mine fv player in this years FM), as for the best Alli, Ramsey, Wilshere(if injuries avoid him) its not all just technical stuff he needs some pace to be able to make a run and throw his marker of...
LEFT IF: the left IF as mentioned above is instructed to get further forward which means he will make forward runs more often, think of this guy as attacker instead of a winger, not Peter Crouch striker type, but Rossi, Totti(prime years) type of striker, I'm using Tana and Srnic so far and few of the best examples would be ALEXIS(MONSTER!!!!), Neymar, Hazard, don't look just for usual striker types of stats, look for some Teamwork, Workrate, aggression(up to 15, more of it makes it risky to get red and fast yellow cards), he needs to be able to help in defence;
RIGHT IF: this one here is pretty much the same as left side one but he needs to be more like Ozil type of guy, still he needs some speed, but he will act as secondary playmaker since he won't be pined in defensive lines but rather open up wide ready to make mazing runs or supply angled trough balls. I'm using Marquinos Cipriano and Tarta, as for best ones: use a regular IF you would use, Alexis sort, Lamela, Bernardo silva for those who want to experiment with creative force on top I would say go for: Silva, Mata(tho his pace isn't top stuff), Mykhitaryan those types of players....
SS: he is your complete forward type of striker or your F9 type of striker, but he still needs some pace, he needs to be able to make it to that trough ball or on the end of that cross, I would reccommend all rounded players or fast players, in first season I used Plavsic(he was amazing) and Hachelar, now I got myself Saponjic(retrained) and 2 regens, all are doing a fine job, as for World class players think of Messi, Dybala, Aguero, Morata possibly if retrained, Alexis(retrain aswell)....

Here are some scores and results for the end:

View attachment 86571View attachment 86570View attachment 86569View attachment 86568View attachment 86567View attachment 86566View attachment 86565View attachment 86564View attachment 86563View attachment 86562View attachment 86558View attachment 86557View attachment 86556View attachment 86555
Some of the games are from the second season, tho I still think that mine squad even in season 2 is way weaker than SLB and Lilpool sides....
The highlight of the season 1 for me would be 5:1 trashing of Real Madrid on Marakana(Rajko Mitic stadium) and the fact that FC Red Star Belgrade reached the ECC final in first season with players that aren't near Brighton team standard.
For tough away matches I set mentality to Standard, the game vs Real Madrid was played in Control mentality since it was a home fixture, there is no OI and Pre-season is standard Match tactics until fluid, during season att movement.

Tactics hasn't been tested anywhere except in mine Red Star save, I didn't start it as a test save I play CZV cos I like them!

View attachment 86560
GIANT HAS AWOKEN ONCE AGAIN!

Tactic link:View attachment 86559
EDIT:

New version of tactic is now availible, the new one is 442 blood diamond or you can call it 433 narrow:
Tactical lookout: https://ibb.co/hNuAu5
Team Instructions:https://ibb.co/nAPM1k
Opposition Instructions:https://ibb.co/mZ9M1k

FM BASE wouldn't let me upload pics so I set them up on these external links that you can see above.
The change in tactics is IF roles are moved to ST strata, now instead of using AML and AMR slots tactic uses STCL and STCR slots, and these players are in F9 role.
The playstyle also went trough change, with IF you had wide players attacking central area and creating overload of numbers and making opposing Fullbacks track them inside leaving space for your Fullbacks, now you have F9 players who drop deep from higher up the pitch and draw defenders with them, the good thing is that opposing fullbacks can't cover anyone, they are useless vs this playstyle, they get cramed up in midle or they leave them selves out of position wide, either way they play suits you since if they don't get closer to CBs then your players always have 3-5 on 2-4 situations(not including formations with 3 CBs and 2 or more DMs) and if thy choose to get inside and help th ebattle on central then your fullbacks have license to maraud from out wide and space and time to provide deadly crosses.
F9 doesn't have "Roam from position" PI checked, reason for this is that I always want them to be central and ready to attack space if needed, the rest of offensive middle (BBM, AP, SS) are allowed to roam and create and preserve possession among themselves, but F9 are needed to stay in those positions so that they always draw out CBs and provide constant threat to goal with their runs from deep and their combining and movement of the ball.

OI can be used in original version(460)

F9 players should be something Dybala like and prefferably left footed for right striker and right footed for left. Other than Dybala I would say that players who are good in aspects of Teamwork, workrate, aggression, off the ball nd either baance or agility would be perfect match for the role, IMO Giroud could be one of the best players for the role especially because his strength can alow him to hold ball effectively for onrushing players and his workrate and teamwork will make him look for that open space and make him come to get the ball whenever he finds it suitable.

TACTIC LINK(Sleeping giant pinball 442 Blood diamond):
http://www.filedropper.com/sleepinggiantpinball442blooddiamonde553e4fa-159f-48ea-86d4-fc7c14d28376

Only game I had vs Strong opposition was vs Real Madrid and here are few creenshots form that game:
https://ibb.co/i4Pku5
https://ibb.co/cjv3gk
https://ibb.co/kP3Ogk
https://ibb.co/dEGLSQ
As its shown up here, mine team(Red Star Belgrade) had 5 CCCs and RM had 0, the squad is in its second season so not too many strong reinforcments, mine strongest player atm is Marcos Rojo...

EDIT2:
Red Star vs Barcelona in Champions cup game:

https://ibb.co/hTv6HQ
https://ibb.co/dZCxP5

Last edited:
Some of those results look amazing.

Going to try it with my Catania save. It's 2019 and I've taken them to Serie A.

who for the corners ?

LEFT IF : RIGHT FOOT AND RIGHT IF : LEFT FOOT ?

I enjoyed readin how your tac works.
Well thats the general idea, sometimes opposition will force you to use your wide players more and rely on crosses, mine team ranks as first in Passes completed %, passes completed number, AVG POSS, and cross %, so its easy to see what they do when they can't find that etra space between lines...
Red Star Belgrad. That's the name in their country

Exactly :)
Crvena Zvezda Beograd. Moram da probam ovu taktiku ;)
Znas kako, ako radi sa Zvezdom u Evropi radice sa Realom, Barsom, EPL timovima i na Marsu :D
is it for 17.3??
17.3. and all that came after it, its made on 17.3.1 but usually the last digit doesn't alter ME only some trivial stuff and transfers...
who for the corners ?

LEFT IF : RIGHT FOOT AND RIGHT IF : LEFT FOOT ?

For corners I usually put mine APa since he has best stats, but if you wanna go in details use one of the players that is set to be forward, as for IF yeah, usual way, Right foot on left and left foot on right, if not possible use someone that at least knows to use his weaker foot to some extent.

I na Marsu ako treba :) Neka posudi Miloje ovu taktiku za Krasnodar :D Reci mi kad menjas mentalitet sa "Standard" na "Control" i obrnuto? I dje si pronaso ove strance za pojacanja :)

I na Marsu ako treba :) Neka posudi Miloje ovu taktiku za Krasnodar :D Reci mi kad menjas mentalitet sa "Standard" na "Control" i obrnuto? I dje si pronaso ove strance za pojacanja :)

Mentalitet sam menjao kad sam igrao protiv Reala, Atletika, Arsenala, PSG i ostalih jacih u gostima, imao sam tu srecu da sam sve utakmice nokaut faze igrao prvo kuci pa onda u gostima, skoro sve, protiv Lyona je bilo prvo u gostima, fazon je da ih u prvoj utakmici uneredis jer ne ocekuju od tima koji je nisko rankiran da ih pritisne i nabije nazad na njihovih 16, tipa Zvezda-Slavia Prag pre nedelju 2, ovi nisu znali sta ih je snaslo, a sto se tice stranaca bolje ne pitaj, mislim da sam proveo minimum pola sata po pozicionom pojacanju pa sam isao sistemom nadjem 5-10 sto mi odgovaraju sa statovima pa skauting pa onda vidim da li neko hoce da dodje pa suzim izbor na 2-3 pa odlucim, onaj Tarta je bio dzaba, onaj Tana je bio na listi za transfere, Dingu sam otkupio jer mi je trebao neko sa nasim pasosem zbog lige, malo je nezgodno zbog pravila lige jer moras imati maksimum 6 stranaca u 18 igraca koje vodis na utakmicu, tako da sam tu dosta vremena izgubio dok sam nasao ko ce i sta ce.... Sad moram i na Engleskom da sve ispisem jer jelte ovo je uk sajt :D

I switched mentality when I faced big teams like RM, AM, Arsenal, PSG and others away from home, I had good fortune in draws and played most knockout games at home first, which meant we got em by surprise since no one would expect a underdog team pressing and pushing teams to their 16m box, something which Red Star did this year in EURO qual vs Sparta Praha.
As for players I spent around half an hour on each positional improvement and in depth signing, not too many players will join you since Red Star has poor finances and not high enough rep at start, but I usually find 5-10 players then I narrow mine options to 2-3 who are willing to sign and then I go for 1 of them, also I had to go for some Serbian passport players since Serbian Super League restricts you to 6 fgn players in team selection for domestic league, that means I have to take 12 palyers with SRB passport and I'm allowed to bring 6 foreigners at most.

Hvala buraz ;) Poceo sam taktiku da koristim sa Leverkuzenom i mogu ti reci da je, za sad, odlicno. I jbga izvini zbog tog pisanja na engleskom. Sve najbolje i još puno dobrih taktika ;)

Hvala buraz ;) Poceo sam taktiku da koristim sa Leverkuzenom i mogu ti reci da je, za sad, odlicno. I jbga izvini zbog tog pisanja na engleskom. Sve najbolje i još puno dobrih taktika ;)

Ma opusteno, ne bih ja pisao na Engleskom nego si dosta validnih i dobrih pitanja postavio, jer stvarno je nezgodno dovesti igrace u klub kao sto je CZV sada, a st se tice Leverkuzena, kontam Chicharito bi mogao da cveta na AMC poziciji ali onda bi se menjao stil fudbala koji igras, ovo je neki Arsenal Barsa pozicioni fudbal dok bi sa njim u napadu bio panj posed tipa Bayern kad je Gladiola bio tipa imas Milera koji samo izigrava panja i daje golove kad istrc i nadje prostor a ostali se tiki takisu :D Hvala i sa srecom :)

Dudes, this is an English speaking forum. It's hard to follow when i can't read the comments :D

Dudes, this is an English speaking forum. It's hard to follow when i can't read the comments :D

The first comment is where I replied to his question when to switch to standard mentality and how I got hold of the players I used in mine save, that reply is translated into English, the other one is in Serbian since its just some random friendly talk, ike he wished me goodluck in future tactics and I thanked him and told him what he can expect from his Bayer save if he plans to use Chicharito in SS role, so in second post there is nothing really important that concerns tactic in general :)

Some more results from season 2, again I got RM in Knocout phase in ECC, played first game away with Standard version and won 1:0...
View attachment 85913View attachment 85912View attachment 85911View attachment 85910View attachment 85909

Feel free to give it a go, I'm tempted to give it a go with Arsenal since I'm always inspired by the professor and I feel like Napoli has a squad that has good potential to mix it up with the likes of Mertens, Ghoulam, Insigne, Zielinski and imo 2 of the most unique DMs in game Jorginho and Allan, tho I would use mirrored version for Napoli so that Callejon is given the freedom to seek the forward run... Napoli and Arsenal are just examples of teams I feel wold fit in really nice, Barca, RM,PSG, Bayern etc those top teams aren't on mine list since I feel they can be made to fit almost any tactic and its easy to buy of players for those teams, Arsenal is also on the list of those teams, but Arsenal has a special place for me... Try it, Tweak it, Post it, the Tactic is out there for you guys ;)

New tactic added, for those who like having 2ST instead of wide players, OP has been updated with some screenshots and tactic download link, also new OIs have been added.