joalbrito

Reaction score
I was wondering something since FM2009, because especially later in a save, I've seen created by the game players, who are good wingers (with very high crossing, dribbling, technique, creativity, stamina, ect) but who have pace and acceleration below 10. And here in my country I really can think of relatively good wingers who are slow. Worldwide... I think that Bernd Schneider wasn't very quick, but he was good, also the Bayern wingers from that amazing team from 99-2002. Also I think we've all seen Andrea Pirlo play as a winger, and he is also not very quick. So, in my opinion slow wingers can work in real football, but can they work well in FM 2010. I think that to use them, the passing should be set to short, the strategy to control, and I would use them as Advanced Playmakers (if they are creative and have good passing of course). The problem is that on FM2010 on the ML and MR slot there is no playmaker role... My idea is to use them as playmakers in a control strategy in order to deal with the lack of speed. What do u think? I am really interested if this would work or not but I've never had the opportunity to test it and see if it works.

om fm09 i had beckham at wigan but in fm10 i havent really came across wingers that are good anoth to sign, but i supoise if you play them as wide midfielders they will perfrom better if they dont have the pace, thats just my opinon rhough

Theo Walcott is a good argument for speed. Just based on my Arsenal save, he plays really well as an AMR winger despite his terrible technical and mental stats.

As for playmaker in the MR and ML positions, keep in mind that those roles are just preset slider settings. If you have a really creative winger, you could manually increase his creative freedom if you feel it's too low. Another important point is that the positions aren't so strict that you can't just move an MR up to AMR, which would be a logical move in my opinion if you would like an advanced playmaker on your wing.

Speed kills

You don't have to be technically proficient if you can run by everyone and go one on one. **** I could score one on one if given the opportunity.

I would have thought that if a player is good enough technicaly, it will make up for lack of pace. Steed Malbranque is a good real life example, slow but always beats his man.

a good lower league example is snodgrass at leeds. on fm his technical and mental stats are amazing at league 1 level, but i think his pace is about 9. not sure if many people know about him though...

setting their crossing to cross from deep helps, instead of cross from byline