So, is there a way to defend goals from the flanks? My wings are like highways...

Uygar89

Reaction score
It is quite unbelievable, how SI can never get a balanced ME. One year, hyper narrow tactics are favoured, just overload the center and it feels like cheating and this year seems like wing play is absolutely exaggerated. I tried everything, even a 451 with supporting wingers and very wide full backs, but they are regularly getting overrun by opposition wingers or acting passively so that the winger can take a cross from 40 yards which lands on the head or the foot of the opposition winger etc... is there a way how to defend your flanks in this game? without any exaggerations, but 9 from 10 goals I concede are from the flanks... I tried many formations... so pls do not ask for which formations I play, as I feel like its more a question of ME than my tactic... tried even fuss new 4123 tactic which got very good ratings and still the same problem :(

Yes it's obviously possible.

He didnt ask for advice, he flat out asked the question.

is there a way how to defend your flanks in this game? without any exaggerations, but 9 from 10 goals I concede are from the flanks... I tried many formations... so pls do not ask for which formations I play, as I feel like its more a question of ME than my tactic

Ok guys, no needs for arguments :) We all are here for the same passion :) So maybe, I have defined my question wrongly. If yes, what would you recommend? I thought about very wide play, but as soon as the opposition plays 2 strikers, I get ripped apart. Another option is very narrow and deep d-line so that my flanks dont get overrun and center backs being not caught of very far away from my goal when crosses come in... But seems like nothing helps... Only 5 Defender formations improve my defence, but then, I have difficulties to score... :(

It is quite unbelievable, how SI can never get a balanced ME. One year, hyper narrow tactics are favoured, just overload the center and it feels like cheating and this year seems like wing play is absolutely exaggerated. I tried everything, even a 451 with supporting wingers and very wide full backs, but they are regularly getting overrun by opposition wingers or acting passively so that the winger can take a cross from 40 yards which lands on the head or the foot of the opposition winger etc... is there a way how to defend your flanks in this game? without any exaggerations, but 9 from 10 goals I concede are from the flanks... I tried many formations... so pls do not ask for which formations I play, as I feel like its more a question of ME than my tactic... tried even fuss new 4123 tactic which got very good ratings and still the same problem :(

Hi! You can test this: http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/shar...-kill-me-no-more-goals-crossing-conceded.html

Ok guys, no needs for arguments :) We all are here for the same passion :) So maybe, I have defined my question wrongly. If yes, what would you recommend? I thought about very wide play, but as soon as the opposition plays 2 strikers, I get ripped apart. Another option is very narrow and deep d-line so that my flanks dont get overrun and center backs being not caught of very far away from my goal when crosses come in... But seems like nothing helps... Only 5 Defender formations improve my defence, but then, I have difficulties to score... :(
The one tactic mentioned is extremely aggressive down the flanks and also open down them. Of course a) you're going to score a lot down the flanks and b) concede a lot there. You can make it narrower or wider, but firstly that only affects your team directly when you're in possession and secondly, it's not the problem.

You've identified the problem already?? Centrebacks are getting caught being very wide and far from goal. Ask yourself : why are they there? Where are the fullbacks? Where are defensive minded midfielders? OR.... if the centreback is wide, do you have 2 or 3 players defending the middle/box still?