blekaut

Reaction score
Hi I've recently started using a 3-1-3-1-2 formation built around short passing and having possession. So far I've managed that and I always have quite a lot more possession than my opponent and usually twice as many shots as them. What I lack is finishing off those shots and it usually ends in a miserable 1-0 defeat. Any tips on how to adjust my front 3 or my whole team's roles to turn those shots into goals?

Attached is my formation.

The front 3 have too much license IMO, mate. You will need only one poacher if you are looking for a guy to always stay on the last defender. The other forward can be changed to a DLF or a False 9 so that he offers more support and helps the team. Moreover, I am guessing most of your shots are long rangers. That is why the finishing is less. The Trequartista can be also changed to a supporting role like an Advanced Playmaker. This guy can create many chances up front. He can spray passes to the wingers or play killer balls to the strikers. If the ball goes to the wingers, the strikers and the AP will come come to the box to finish off crosses. I am not going to argue with the defense you have got. Its good. But one major thing in this tactic is how you use the wingers. In this case, opponents can exploit your wings. Try changing them to Defensive wingers. These guys will contribute both to attack and defense(very important during the later stages of a game). They should have high stamina, pace and good crosses in them.

Wow, you were pretty much spot on, this tactic seems near perfect now. Possession is almost all mine and the goals are flowing in. Thanks a lot mate!

Hector since your advice helped me to perfect my tactic I was wondering if you have any tips for this one as well

Hector since your advice helped me to perfect my tactic I was wondering if you have any tips for this one as well

Hey buddy! Hope I can put my two cents in. I assume you're trying to play possession football because of the control mentality and the work ball into box team instruction. Firstly, I believe you have too many duties on attack. 60% of them. Try a few on support. This will be better for keeping possession and it will help movement between the lines etc. In my opinion I'd definitely change the TM (a) to a TM (s) to offer extra hold up play and support for the shadow striker. As a general rule, lots of FM players will make sure that if they are playing one up front. Then he will be on a support duty so he isn't left on his own up top. Next, I'd switch up the AP (A) to a DLP (s). At the moment, the advanced playmaker may be stealing the shadow striker's runs and moving into the same positions and this is a waste of space and movement. A deep lying playmaker will sit nicely in the centre of the pitch and help to support the play.

Next, I'd swap the WM (s) out for a W (a). The deep lying playmaker needs an outlet on the wing. On the right wing I'd change the duty from attack to support. This will be the guy putting in crosses for the target man. Then the left winger on an attack duty will be at the back post to scoop up the ball if he over hits it. Now, I'd swap the left full back from an attack duty to a support duty. This will allow him to creatively feed balls through to the more attacking minded left winger due to the support duty's extra creativity. Moreover, a left back with an attack duty will make too similar runs to the left winger. Again, another general rule is for a winger and a full back to have opposite duties [full back winger] (defend-support combo) or (support-attack combo).

Let me know how you get on! :)

Wow thanks a lot for all the pieces of advice mate! When it's written up and explained it all makes so much sense but when I'm trying to figure out a formation for myself I never put everything together right it seems :) I'll make the adjustments and post the results! Thanks again.

Mate, if I have to say I love someone in football, it has to be the guy who can initiate attacks and control the game from the deep. The regista or DLP is the first I include in my tactic. Who doesn't want a Xavi, Pirlo, Makelele or a Herrera, eh? This guy has to look for a pass and should have the ability to execute the pass(long/short). So a DLP is absolutely important in any tactic and he must be instructed to play more direct passes. The CM(D) must pass it short. He should win the ball and feed it to the DLP. The wingers you have employed play in the traditional line and are not high as they usually are(say as in a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-3-3). So they have to attack as Sambo had mentioned. Your DLP has 2 options along the wings. Hence u have to "exploit the flanks" for a good wing play. They are the ones who can cause a lot of damage in this tactic now. Now coming to the front 2. Well, in a possession tactic I am a little skeptical when it comes to using a Shadow striker. He is a decoy player who does not support and is the main goal scorer. So he is quite pointless if you use a striker with an attack duty up front. A DLP/False 9 along with a SS makes perfect sense. Although, I would avoid that in a possession tactic. The best bet is to use an AP instead of a SS with attack and use a TM upfront who supports. This will help the TM be involved more in the build up play. Also, while the wingers cross, the AP, TM and the other winger come inside the box to score goals. This is why United are successful. In spite of playing possession football, they tend to cross often. This will give something extra to your tactic.
Let me know if it helps, mate.

Last edited:
Poweriess, The formation is a solid one. But the team instructions need some changes. I want to know if you want to play possession football or attack in the counter.

@ blekaut I hope you dont mind me posting my tactic on here, @Hector & Sambo what do you think of this and how could i improve? View attachment 431259

Poweriess, The formation is a solid one. But the team instructions need some changes. I want to know if you want to play possession football or attack in the counter.

Formation looks good. But I'm with Hector. If the aim of your game is to keep the ball, then high tempo and pass into space team instructions may contradict this. Moreover, you arguably have three playmakers in your side. This is far too many in my opinion. One will suffice. Three is overkill. I see Martinez as a sturdy player with goals in him. For me, I don't think the best side to his game is his creative side. So I'd swap out his F9 (s) role for a less creative albeit more offensive CF (s) role. From there, I would definitely add some player instructions to tweak the role so it plays to his strengths. Apart from this I think that the back four are class, and the full back-winger roles complement each other excellently. I'd swap out the DLP (s) for a DM (d) who will be your ball winner in a destroyer-passer-creator midfield trio. As Porto are fairly sound at the back it would be a defensive midfielder role but if you have more than enough possession and a lack of defensive stability I'd swap it for an anchorman, half back or ball winner role. Next I'd swap out the AP (a) role from the left hand side to the right. This is because you have a complete wing back, an advanced playmaker and an inside forward all on the left wing (attacking roles). This would lead to the opposition scoring a lot of goals down that flank. Lastly, I'd swap the BWM (d) role from the right hand side to the left hand side and exchange it for a CM (s) role to help keep possession. This will leave one player as your creative outlet, as well as keeping the ball successfully.

Mate, Have to add "More expressive" does not go with "higher tempo". I learnt that from someone here. You need time to be creative and hence "Lower tempo" is advisable. Also, you have control mentality and you don't look like you want to play possession football.

Poacher and Traquista roles are designed for solo efforts, you might be better with DLF or Complete Forward, and a more teamworker in attack midfield since its possession tactic as you have said.

Hi mate any scrrenshot of your updated tactics including players and results as I'm at a loss with lfc cheers

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk