Solskjaer quits due to knee injury

Lee

Administrator
Reaction score
Manchester United favourite Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has retired due to a knee injury, according to Sky Sports News.

Solskjaer will be forever remembered in United folklore for scoring the dramatic winner in the UEFA Champions League final against Bayern Munich in 1999.

That goal was one of almost 130 he scored for The Red Devils after joining from Molde in a £1.5million transfer 11 years ago.

He made over 360 appearances for the club, but recent seasons have been blighted by injury.

The 34-year-old did maintain a level of fitness last season, scoring 11 goals as United won the title and reached the FA Cup final.

But he did not figure during the pre-season campaign after undergoing a knee operation over the summer.

This was expected to be his final season as a player at Old Trafford, but he has now decided to announce his retirement.

Solskjaer's decision to quit could prompt Sir Alex Ferguson to rethink his attacking options prior to the close of the transfer window.

Along with Wayne Rooney, Carlos Tevez and Louis Saha, Solskjaer was expected to form part of Ferguson's plans up front.

But the United manager may now require further reinforcements in attack, having been linked with Bolton Wanderers' forward Nicolas Anelka.

:eek:

gutted. baby face was a legend. guess he just had enough of all the ****.

One of my favourite players :( Guess it was best for him to retire with so many injuries.

I used to love solskjaer, he had a good career. Unlucky for him he had too many injuries.

Legend of a player, will be missed, understandable though, 4/5 knee injuries in 3 years approx. Could hardly run last season as it was. Hope he can be a good coach now

Absolute legend, I nearly cried when i saw this in the paper. Hopefully he gets a testemonial soon, its such a shame injury has ended and shortened (cos he missed two seasons) such a professional's career-he was one of the best finishers the world has ever seen, and I mean that. He will surely make a good coach and there is no-one better Utd's young strikers can learn from. He even socred 11 last season, and that just shows how good a goalscorer he really was. I think the fact that Ad (being a Leeds fan/Utd hater) liked him shows how adored and respected he was by footbal fans. Long live Ole.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fntt_dt9hAM"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fntt_dt9hAM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

am with ad..yeh were leeds fans and dont have many good words to say about man utd but solskjaer was a true legend and a great servant to man utd...supersub and was an asset to man utd. shame hes gone but i understand his reasons.
they may need to get a replacement in before friday though