Some advice with my tactic please

Thanks again for the feedback. I've tested this out with a flat 3x CM setup of CM(d), APM(s) and BWM(s). I've had mixed results over a few games where I seem to either smash it or struggle to a draw. I'm considering changing to an attacking triangle with an ACM-APM(s), CM(d) and a B2B(s) as I feel this will give better penetration.
As you noticed, the flat CM setup lacked penetration.

I'm curious, who will be doing the penetrating in the triangle setup?

Acting as the APM? I have Isco and Coric who both seem well suited. I'm Leicester in 2019.

Acting as the APM? I have Isco and Coric who both seem well suited. I'm Leicester in 2019.
An AP/S will offer zero penetration. That role just sits in the hole between midfield and attack. It's a Support duty, so will play a supporting role.

Sorry you are correct, that shoud have been set as an attacking role.

Sorry you are correct, that shoud have been set as an attacking role.
Then it'll depend on what you want from the role. I still wouldn't call an AP a role that offers penetration.

What does your setup look like now?

Then it'll depend on what you want from the role. I still wouldn't call an AP a role that offers penetration.

What does your setup look like now?

I'm at work atm so can't really post a screen shot but here is what I have now:

GK
LWB(s)
CB(d)
CB(d)
RWB(s)
LWG(a)
CM(d)
BWM(s)
AP(a)
RIF(a)
F9

What I intend to go with:

GK
LB(s)
CB(d)
CB(d)
RB(s)
LWG(a)
CM(d)
B2B(s)
ACM-AP(a)
RIF(a)
F9

Alternativly I could assign the ACM player to any role that gets the best attacking support.

So you intend to change to a 4-2-3-1 with a ML instead of an AML? The AP may work then, with the other wide roles all on Attack and a F9 who is also quite aggressive.

Tested this out a bit last night and it didn't seem to work very well. I had no issues scoring but i still leaked goals. One result was 3-3. Back to the drawing board on this after a few days rest I think.

Tested this out a bit last night and it didn't seem to work very well. I had no issues scoring but i still leaked goals. One result was 3-3. Back to the drawing board on this after a few days rest I think.

CMd, APa (or CMa) and BWMs should do the trick. The difference between APa and CMa is that APa is on the ball runner, meaning he will do dribbling, and he is also a creator, and CMa is off the ball runner, and is also a goalscorer. You probably want the BWMs between those two to connect them, as CMd will hold at centre, CMa or APa will go forward, and BWMs should connect the two.

Last edited:
In the end i created two tactics:

GK
LFB(s)
BPD
CB(c)
RFB(s)

BWM(s)
CM(d)
AM-APM(a)

IF
WG
TM(s)

In the second formation the mids change to:

BWM(s)
AM(d)
CM(a)

Started a new save with Leicester City and finished 5th in season 1, looking to finish 3rd in season 2. All in all I'm happy with the results.