Edward_Chan

Reaction score
I use Chelsea and My defence is Zonal Marking + Non Tight Mark as same as Italy Style
But there are several problems...

I don't know why there are too many Goals score by AI by long shot and Corners :(
Also, my Midfielders seems not go in hard to the AI's Midfielders....

Moreover, I always lose 2-3 scores from Man Utd (My team is Chelsea)....

How is the defensive line set? Deep ou pushing up?

Mixed, near Deep if another team have fast ST
Push up if another team have powerful, But Slower ST

But AI can score by long shot from both of them.....especially they player not good in long shot (eg: long 7 or 9 .....)

Manually setup your corner defence. Bring big players back and set who marks a tall opponent and who marks a small. Always have 2 people on the posts. If you've already got that then maybe your team is just below average height/jumping so will have problems?

Conceeding long rang goals, either push line out a bit to give them less time (but more space behind you) or use the opponent instructions to tight mark those having the long shots. Whats your closing down settings like? Are your team just backing off?

oppositon intsructions always close down CM, tight mark AM and ST!
2ndly, use tight marking and zonal, have one of your CM drop deeper, no forward runs at all!
waht tactic u using? try using my one below this thread, its a good team tactic, uses 3 CM one dropping back to sweep up, but still is not too deep to score goals.

i have Defour, Fellaini and Ramires!
very good team players,. look at work rate, stamina and natural fitness!

give it a try, hope it helps

Manually setup your corner defence. Bring big players back and set who marks a tall opponent and who marks a small. Always have 2 people on the posts. If you've already got that then maybe your team is just below average height/jumping so will have problems?

Conceeding long rang goals, either push line out a bit to give them less time (but more space behind you) or use the opponent instructions to tight mark those having the long shots. Whats your closing down settings like? Are your team just backing off?

I usually use the style of defence you mentioned before: zonal marking without tight marking. But I also combine this with high closing down - so, maybe this is your problem, just as JM suggested. Another hypothesis is that your defense is too away from your midfield - a more compact setting could be the solution.

What Raikan said about a CM is also true - setting one of them without forward runs usually helps the defence a lot. If you still wants him to attack, and if he has the necessary ability, let him run with the ball - this way, he will stay helping the defence during attacks, but, if he gets the ball in a good position, he will try to set the attack up. This can work particularly well if you play someone in the DMC position.

I've found if I set my defense to deep even if there forwards are pretty average/poor I consistently get hammered by there forwards kinda asking to be attacked .
when I 1st started playing fm on ps2 I religiously used a deep defense & it rarely worked for me.
On another note have you tried "Contain" it retains overall structure of your formation whether or not you chose to have a high defense or deep.

A tactic that nearly always seems to work for me tight marking/closing down/hard tackle/show onto weaker foot for every single opposition player except there defense line (In player instructions) these days I average about 20+ shots to there 5+ shots.

that way your team is putting in 110% for nearly every defensive move & in turn decreasing the oppositions long shots. when I started I tried to just apply this to there strikers/fowards but nearly always it was one of there mid fielder's that scored all the goals:/.

Last edited: