Some thoughts and advice needed.......

BalesLeftFoot

Reaction score

Hi Guys

First post on the forum, hoping this thread is in the correct place.

Firstly i'd just like to let you know my experiences of the new game. After receiving it a couple of weeks ago i have now had the time to 'put a few hours in' and have started careers with 3-4 different teams. I myself, generally prefer being a lower league side and try to get them up the leagues on these managerial games, So i have tried managing Grismby (BSP), Burton Albion (L2), Yeovil (L1) and Southampton (CH) all with great difficulty. So i am basically trying to work out, is this game really hard?! or am i just rubbish.... :'(

At the moment i cannot work out where i am going wrong, as i am losing the majority of my games with all of these sides. I dont play overly attacking formations, i take the advice given by assistants and in all cases i have signed good quality players to add to each squad. So should i really be doing that bad?

I would be very grateful if any experts on here could give me some tips. I have noticed on here that you can download tactics? personally i would rather not do this and would much prefer to find some of my own but at the moment i am struggling so any ideas of formations for sides looking to avoid relegation/mid table finishes would be great. And the shouts/in-game tactics to go with them

Plus some names of decent strikers for lower league as i am yet to find one ;)

All help and thoughts appreciated :D

Getting a little bit annoyed with this now :(

Currently Yeovil - Lost my last 11 games. Played around with tactics and players and absolutely nothing works. Players i have signed: Lee Hendrie, Oscar Janssen (Spurs GK), Tom Carroll (Spurs MF), Tom Cruise (Ex Arsenal LB) So for decent first team additions. My striker Jonathan Obika hasnt scored 1 goal in 11 league starts. Anybody help me out before i'm sacked????

Just remember it's not all about formations,but also which role each player has in it.
You should atleast have 3 players dedicated to defensive roles in my opinion and then build from there.
I have had success with a lower side with a 4231 formation,which seem to have a nice balance to it.
And also remember to reduce the amount of creative freedom for your side,if the players are rather poor.
I recommend going with a rigid or very rigid setup for a lower side team,with perhaps counter attacking as main offense.

Just remember it's not all about formations,but also which role each player has in it.
You should atleast have 3 players dedicated to defensive roles in my opinion and then build from there.
I have had success with a lower side with a 4231 formation,which seem to have a nice balance to it.
And also remember to reduce the amount of creative freedom for your side,if the players are rather poor.
I recommend going with a rigid or very rigid setup for a lower side team,with perhaps counter attacking as main offense.

Much appreciated. With my Southampton i player a 4231 formation however with Yeovil i lack and decent wide players. I have just changed to a 41212 (one of the formations my assistant recommended at the start) which compensates for the lack of natural wide players in my team, i won my first game, but will play a few more game and see how that fares......

41212 is a nice tactic to dominate the midfield,especially if your fullbacks have high stamina ratings.
Just remember to not switch tactic too often,since that will most likely just make things worse.
Stick to one of two and have faith in what you are doing :)

If you want an idea of successful tactics, i have done my interpretation of the Invincibles and Fergies United treble winning tactics, take a look, I play as Staines and these work a treat... The only thing I would recommend is use your assistant managers reports to get an idea of playing style, eg. Target Man Support or Poacher etc. as these recommendations are often very useful when selecting a tactic

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...les-uniteds-treble-team-tactic-explained.html

Does anyone else find this game ridiculously hard? i'm on the verge of being sacked again. I've always found manager games easy but this seems to take things abit far....

If you want an idea of successful tactics, i have done my interpretation of the Invincibles and Fergies United treble winning tactics, take a look, I play as Staines and these work a treat... The only thing I would recommend is use your assistant managers reports to get an idea of playing style, eg. Target Man Support or Poacher etc. as these recommendations are often very useful when selecting a tactic

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...les-uniteds-treble-team-tactic-explained.html

Right, going to try this now...

2 games with the arsenal tactics - a 0-0 and a 2-0 loss :/

is there a way of changing the difficulty? :P

2 games with the arsenal tactics - a 0-0 and a 2-0 loss :/

is there a way of changing the difficulty? :P

What kind of background did you set for your manager profile?
If you chose sunday league footballer,then it will be alot harder.

3rd game - 2-0 cup win
4th - 2-2 draw
5th- 1-1 draw against lower league opposition

= SACKED!

on a serious note. Has anyone else found it this tough?

What kind of background did you set for your manager profile?
If you chose sunday league footballer,then it will be alot harder.

Ahh just checked and mine is set as that... didnt know it made a difference

what do most other people play using?

Ahh just checked and mine is set as that... didnt know it made a difference

what do most other people play using?

I always start a new save on Automatic, then get my experience from the lower leagues and take it from there

If you set it to automatic then it will adjust itself to the proper background for the league you are managing in as far as I know.
But if you are finding things hard,then I suggest professional footballer.
That way you'll get proper respect as a manager without making it too over the top.

If you set it to automatic then it will adjust itself to the proper background for the league you are managing in as far as I know.
But if you are finding things hard,then I suggest professional footballer.
That way you'll get proper respect as a manager without making it too over the top.

Just checked the manual and that sounds right. Says gives you more leeway with the board depending on which option you set it at. Wonder if it makes results easier to come by :D

Just checked the manual and that sounds right. Says gives you more leeway with the board depending on which option you set it at. Wonder if it makes results easier to come by :D

It will make it easier for sure. You really have to prove yourself if you start with a low background setting and the players will have a harder time to motivate themselves playing for you.
So a better background should make the game more enjoyable for you :)

I have started a new game with Yeovil - and have my playing career level set to automatic. What does this mean? that i have a decent reputation around the lower leagues.... Should the game be easier than having it set at Sunday league footballer?

Back