Someone explain this to me (1-5-25) in last 31 matches

shalabi

Reaction score
I have tried everything, so now I'm just coming here:

I managed Oxford United. Season one I started out 17-3-1, with a 4-5-1 system (standard look as you see often on here with 4 defenders, a DM, 2CM, 2 wide AMs and a striker). Suddenly, I fell into a slump after being forced to trade one player due to finances and having 2 injuries (albeit big ones). So I pretty much lose half my matches from there, even turning to an exploit and learning that it doesnt make a difference (likely becuase my team isn't use to it, right?).

Anyway, so I edge into promotion thanks to my strong start. I do lots of friendlies so all my players are use to the system and the new guys I bring in. Blah blah. Expecting to have a low-table season for sure, but hoping to avoid relegation. But here's the thing, I don't beat anybody........ except Bolton in the FA Cup tie.

Meanwhile, my forwards can't find the goal, my midfielders cannot pass and my defneders are always off their mark and kick the ball out for corners, which they cannot defend. Before you ask, I have been using some training developed by other users that are proven to be effective. I've tried with and without exploits. I have tried just about every piece of advice I've seen on the forums. In fact, I even have created saves along the way to try out longer-versions of these tactics to make sure I'm just not switching too fast. In every single one I am not beating anybody outside of that Bolton match.

I had a match with the second-worst team in the league.... I had 18 shots on goal thanks to an exploit. 11 were on target. 0 went in. The opposition had 5 shot, 5 on goal, 4 goals.

Someone explain this game to me.

What players did you bring in? League 1 is a big step up from League 2 in my opinion. What have you been doing specifically tactically?

Don't use other people's tactics. The tactics have to fit the players, you can't expect the players to develop to be effective in the tactic. (So if you have slow defenders, you can't expect them to play a high line. If your team lacks no real passing ability you can't expect to play an intricate passing/possession game)

There's the club. As you can see, some injuries. I actually won a match against the only other team worst than me, Stevenage, who has yet to gain a single point in the season. Still, as you can see, too many mistakes on the defense. It doesn't help that two of my main scorers are now hurt.... but the problem is more a systemic ailment of my defense, and not my offense. In the first five matches, I outscored my opponents in the first-half of matches 6-0. They outscored me in the second half 0-9. I tried staying offensive until the 80th minute. I tried going straight to defensive after the half. I tried controlling the ball, wasting time, using counter.... nothing seemed to matter. So I'm now 2-6-25 in last 33 matches. I have noticed that each point I get, a key player is injured. No joke. I have 8 matches where I gain points, each of them have at least one injured key player in it.
View attachment 323480

Explain what? Exploit was a failure anyway, and it was used out of the sheer need for a win after a 10-match slide near the end of the first season. Like someone else said up-top (and what I knew anyway) is that other tactics don't work if you're a low-league team that can't utilize them like an Arsenal/Barca. Near-post etc... relies on someone being able to send the corner to the right spot, and someone else having positioning and heading capability. You don't really get that with Oxford.

It's an all or nothing situation now, i would suggest that you play attacking and gamble your luck, if you need the points to stay up, you can play defence just to get yourself draws, Create a very attacking tactic, or download one off here, if you get relegated, then thath's that, but the only way you could survive is by taking the team on. Use attacking movement and attack as the training and hopefully it pays off.

Explain what? Exploit was a failure anyway, and it was used out of the sheer need for a win after a 10-match slide near the end of the first season. Like someone else said up-top (and what I knew anyway) is that other tactics don't work if you're a low-league team that can't utilize them like an Arsenal/Barca. Near-post etc... relies on someone being able to send the corner to the right spot, and someone else having positioning and heading capability. You don't really get that with Oxford.

Are you talking about the 1st corner routine?