ossietheowl

Reaction score
I seriously do not know what to do anymore so this is my final plea for help before I ditch my copy of fm14.

so here's the thing, I'm playing with sk traeff in the Norwegian 3rd division, so a bit of classic LLM. In my first season, being favourites to go down, we were top of the league, 14 points clear with five games left. We needed 1 win. Somehow, we managed to lose all 5 games, while miraculously the 2nd placed team won all of their last games and got promoted.

Okay, so maybe I was unlucky - I strengthened the squad and kept with the same counter attacking 4-4-2 that was so successful in my first season. In other versions of fm, wise management and progressive imporovement normally bears results. Not in 14. We ended up narrowly avoiding relegation and I couldn't even come close to explaining why - every game was either "Traeff fall to late defeat" or "traeff unlucky in defeat", safe to say my patience was being tested.

however, I have heard that with this version sticking with a long save really pays off, so I headed into my 3rd season still in the Norwegian flipping 3rd division. This year, I have easily the best squad in the league, and a set of simple solid 442 tactics that have sometimes produced results for me -which is the best I can do as this year there is seemingly no tactic that will produce any kind of consistent form - surely now we should at least be able to challenge for promotion. But no, we are now losing ALL the time, even though we're playing well, and I've just been sacked.

what winds me up more than anything is that this fm seems deliberately cruel - for example my last game I absolutely dominated, something that rarely happens at this level, and was 1-0 up at home with 10 mins left. Finally, I thought to myself, I've stumbled upon a successful tactic. But, low and behold, the opposition get a corner (even though they hadn't even had a shot) and my centre half smashes in an own goal at the far post. THEN, in the 95th minute, their winger scores a volley from 35 yards to win it. A player in the Norwegian 3rd division with a goal Suarez would see as phenomenal. They had 1 shot and won 2-1. To make matters worse is had 7 ccc's.

so, what am I missing guys? I haver never played an fm where literally nothing works. Good players? I still lose. Tactics? None ever work, doesn't matter what philosophy. And to top it all off literally everything seems to work for the opposition, be it that shot on target is always a goal for them or a player with a dribbling stat of 2 can beat 4 of my defenders before delicately chipping it over my keeper - yes this happens in the 3rd tier of Norwegian football in fm14, except not for me.

So yes, I am frustrated and angry, but it does seem like there is no way to win in this years version - any constructive help on how to approach fm14 would help, but there's only so much I can take. All of the above applies to the other saves I've tried on fm 14, and there's only so much I can take

Better place than here, much more likely to get an answer, post your squad, your current tactic, your team instructions, and they'll have a look and suggest changes and tips, if non work maybe you suck.. lol.. Kidding.

Keep trying mate, but ask in the tactics section discussion, much more likely to find help..

There have been a lot of threads like this popping up, people saying they are going to give up on FM because they are having a hard time. But I am having the opposite time, I'm having success on like every save. Current Huddersfield save, getting promoted in first season after being predicted to finish 20th. Maribor save, made it to the Champions League final in only my 4th season with 200-1 odds.

Managing is what is doing it for me. I adjust how my team plays based on situation, opposition and how my team is performing. I don't think you can just plug in a tactic and play the same way every game and expect to get results (unless you have a really good team).

Also, I've noted that this FM likes to make the opposition counter really well and that playing possession football is normally not the best approach. A lot of the people who are complaining are playing possession football and finding themselves dominating the game with lots of possession and shots, but most from distance. The other team often just hits them on the break with a couple quick attacks which produce higher quality chances than their long range shots.

So yes, I am frustrated and angry, but it does seem like there is no way to win in this years version - any constructive help on how to approach fm14 would help, but there's only so much I can take. All of the above applies to the other saves I've tried on fm 14, and there's only so much I can take

It's frowned upon here, but if you're having no fun playing it and seem to be losing no matter what you do, just cheat and backup from saves when the game seems to have it in for you. There's no point in slogging through if you're just playing for yourself.