Something Odd - Rennes 2-3-5 ( Barca Emulate )

Yorkex

Reaction score
I want to recreate the 2-3-5 formation Barcelona used to defeat Gatefe 4-0.

History

In order to pass the ball better a new kind of formation was developed. One of the seven forwards was drawn back and the 2-2-6 was developed.

Soon however it became clear that the 2-2-6 wasn?t the optimal way to set up a side that was oriented around the pass. Another forward was drawn back and the forerunner of the modern center half was born in the 2-3-5 formation.
The 2-3-5 would go on to be the predominant system played in much of the world until the 1925 when further changes in the offside rule were made. This in turn led to the emergence of the ?W-M? formation (3-2-2-3).
Wilson deftly summarizes the history of the game after the dominance of the 2-3-5 as a process of he describes ?Inverting the Pyramid.? Managers became progressively more and more concerned about creating defensive solidity over the course of the 20th century. As such, they continued to drop forwards from the 2-3-5 back deeper to create additional defensive positions.

Full read on how Barca used this can be found at The Barcelona System: Re-Inverting the Pyramid vs. Getafe | Barcelona Football Blog

I will be updating how the season goes

Last edited:
1st Game

View attachment 411329
I used "drop deeper" as we play just 2 DC's and possession wise was good but when we lose the ball , they stretched us and caused trouble. Decent game.

Game 2 - Bought a new striker to play the Messi role as the 2 strikers on loan were more Targetman types.

View attachment 411328View attachment 411327
Excellent game , new man got a hattrick and midfield kept the ball the way I planned and dragged them out.
I changed to "Push Higher" to compress them back and it limited their CCC's to 0 :)

nice thread, i'm curious to see how it goes
Give a link for the tactic plz or give a lot more details !

nice thread, i'm curious to see how it goes
Give a link for the tactic plz or give a lot more details !

I added it to the OP , i'm still tweaking so its no final yet.
Hope you can add your input as well. Goodluck

This is a good challenge :) hope you can make it mate because combining possession and results in this FM it's getting very difficult to achieve... and the difficulty increases when you try that 2-3-5

Game 3 - Only counting league games and Cups

View attachment 411293
Overall excellent game , poor finishing from Strikers.
Pro : CCC's and Half Chances
Con: Near 75min plus , AI pushes their players forward and really stretch the defenc. Thats when they create trouble. As a smaller club , it might be bad when we play the big clubs. But if you use a big club like Barca then I dont think it will be an issue

This is a good challenge :) hope you can make it mate because combining possession and results in this FM it's getting very difficult to achieve... and the difficulty increases when you try that 2-3-5
Thanks ! This is how I enjoy the game , making real life formations , this engine is pretty ****** :p

I added it to the OP , i'm still tweaking so its no final yet.
Hope you can add your input as well. Goodluck
Thanks!
lets us know tweaks you make :)
I'm gonna give it a go, i keep you updated !

Thanks ! This is how I enjoy the game , making real life formations , this engine is pretty ****** :p

I know the article you have mentioned, but I think when they wrote about the 235 formation for Barcelona it was about achieving it with player roles, duties and movement and not a starting tactical set up.
Another example was from a 433 set up, achieving a 343 by using a HB and WBs.

Still, very curious about your work.

Game 4 - No finishers

View attachment 411257
- Completely outplayed Lille , they had 58% pass completion and 32% possession.
We couldnt finish any of the 5CCC's
Next up . Lyon , first big test for my team.

Game 5
View attachment 411236
Lyon pressed us harder than anything s far , but we still won the possession battle.
Could have been worse for them. Again they start causing trouble after 70min

Looks great.. Can you show some ss's?? Of the tactic and etc...
It's the tactic you posted?

absolutely briliant mate. going very well. thanks, cheers

Loving this thread.

Are you making any changes in the match or are you trying to keep it as Plug & Play as possible?

Loving this thread.

Are you making any changes in the match or are you trying to keep it as Plug & Play as possible?

Currently a plug and play , when I have time today I will try and tweak some more

I know the article you have mentioned, but I think when they wrote about the 235 formation for Barcelona it was about achieving it with player roles, duties and movement and not a starting tactical set up.
Another example was from a 433 set up, achieving a 343 by using a HB and WBs.

Still, very curious about your work.

Yes bro , I tried that route at first but it was very hard getting the advanced players to keep possesion , I figured I will experiment with this idea :p