South America...General Discussion

drezzy86

Reaction score
Hi guys.

I'm thinking of starting a save with a South American team. I don't know where to go yet, but that's in material. Has any one else played more then two season in South America? What'd you think of it?

Also, I understand there are two South American competitions, Similar to our Champions League and Europa League, and on FM2009, i played a season as River Plate, but i could never qualify for the Copa Libertordes (SPELLING LOLL). I always qualified for the lesser competition, even though i'd win the league. Does any one know if that's right or has that been sorted in FM2011?

I'd just like some general tips and information on South America, before i get my hands dirty.

Cheers

It doesn't need to be sorted. Qualification works on a complicated accumulation of things over a few seasons, as does relegation and promotion.

Things become even more complicated if the country you play in has an apertura and clausura.

Someone with more experience will explain more, but thats what i can remember from the top of my head.

Iv played a few seasons in South America. Well all depends what country you want as the continental Qualification differs.
In Chile you qualify for the copa sudamerica and copa libradores(sp) by winning either the opening or closing stage.Sudamericana begins in july and Libradores(sp) begins in january.
Have you waited till the following January for the Copa Libradores?

I highly reccomend playing there as you have access to some top notch regens.

If you have any other questions feel free to vm me.

Off topic i know but my 500th post.Yay

Iv played a few seasons in South America. Well all depends what country you want as the continental Qualification differs.
In Chile you qualify for the copa sudamerica and copa libradores(sp) by winning either the opening or closing stage.Sudamericana begins in july and Libradores(sp) begins in january.
Have you waited till the following January for the Copa Libradores?

I highly reccomend playing there as you have access to some top notch regens.

If you have any other questions feel free to vm me.

Off topic i know but my 500th post.Yay

Congrats on the milestone. lol

Wow, seems so different from what we're use to in Europe. i was thinking of Argentina or Brazil to be honest with you

In Brazil you will have a choice of starting in December 2009 or 10. This will start with you playing games in your state championship (basically a league compromising of all the teams in your local area/city). This is a full season in itself. During the State championships the Copa Libertadores games are played should you have qulified the seasin before. (South American Champions league).

But, after that the Brasilero serie a will start. This is the normal league where upon you will play the top teams from all over Brasil....... Basically football all year round :)

Also most of the competitions use a playoff system to win the league. Chile,Uruguay,Argentina and Mexico all use this. Id reccomend maybe Colo Colo in Chile, Boca or River in Argentina or Chivas in Mexico as they have the best reveue streams and scouting systems. And keep a scout roaming the Continent as there are amazing regens there...

As Dermilson said, in Brazil you will play the states leagues (minor leagues), the Brasileiro (major league), the Copa do Brasil and Copa Sulamericana. Works like this: In the Brasileiro, the best 4 teams qualifies to Copa Libertadores da América. the next 8 qualifies to Sulamericana. And the Winner of Copa do Brasil, and Sulamericana qualifies to Libertadores as well.
The Club the plays in Libertadores in determined year, don´t play in Sulamericana and Copa do Brasil.
I like play with Santos FC, but you will find most of the clubs in Série A good. The problems is the budget, small in most of them.

Last edited:
Ahhh wow, i'm gonna give this a try then, looks really good

The copa sudamericana is played between august and december (opening stage of argentina and uruguay) and the libertadores which is more reputable is played between january and may which is the opening stage of seasons in chile colombia peru etc the winners of the two play each other in the recopa i believe im not sure how the qualification for either is in different countries im sure if you win league etc you will have best chance of playing in both and i recommend nacional of uruguay thats who i am and i like the youthful side i believe its not too long before i shall conquer south america and with the super classico against penarol south americas side of the 20th century it provides a good challenge in a league with at least 6 derbies a week