thomaspato

Reaction score
Never played in the South America league's on the game & wanting to try it out. but could anyone give me a little information as to what it's like to manage there & also what rules they have & how it's different from the the European leagues. Also, if anyone has any stories or anything to do with south america, please feel free to post

Much appreciated

It's not overly different. If comparable to anything in Europe I'd suggest not dissimilar to Italy - big squads, loads of players on loan. There's a couple of continental competitions to get stuck in to as well.

One of my main issues with S. America is the fact agents can buy percentages of players so you may not necessarily own a player outright.

I'd suggest trying out in the top division of Brazil to test the water, maybe Sao Paulo or Corinthians before delving into the lower divisions.

The Argentinian league is weird because relegation is based on a three season average meaning the team in the division after 3 years with the worst points total is relegated. Means newly promoted clubs are guaranteed 3 years in Primera but generally go back down again. It's also very corrupt irl and neigh on impossible to keep star players.

Very good article I've just read on Argentine football - Argentina Football World - Instability: The Curse of Argentina's Primera Division

Maybe help you pick a team like Lanus or Velez to manage :)

South American is different from Europe both on and off the field. The passion might be the same but it is demonstrated in different ways. If you ever watch a Copa Libertadores match, especially the final, the game usually is delayed about 10-15 minutes due to all the smoke and fireworks. People literally live at times within the club. Unlike a lot of teams in Europe all teams are actually social clubs that have many members who pay a fee to use the facilities for many different things. Some even go to school or university at the club. To give you an example in Buenos Aires there are 24 professional clubs. In Montevideo there are 20 professional clubs. This is why the passion and hatred for and between each club runs so deep.

The relegation system in Argentina is that was to favor the big clubs. It was established to keep Boca Juniors from the second division in 1984 and is in usage ever since. In South America, especially in Argentina, relegation is death to clubs and supporters. When River Plate, team I support since childhood, was relegated there were riots all around the city.

As far as league differences Uruguay and Argentina are similar. You have the Apertura, opening stage, and Clausura, closing stage. In Brazil there is the national league and the first half of the year you play the state leagues which are mostly lower league clubs. They also all have different ways to qualify for the Libertadores, Champions League, and Sudamericana, Europa League.

Teams I would suggest are
Argentina: River Plate, Racing Club, San Lorenzo, Boca Juniors. Apart from Independiente, currently in second division, these are the biggest clubs and have some of the best youth intakes and facilities. Other Argentine teams with good facilities and youth intake are Velez, Lanus, Newells, Estudiantes.

Uruguay: Nacional and Pe?arol are the biggest clubs. Other interesting teams are Danubio and Defensor. Both are usually within the top of the league.

Brazil: Alot of big teams, however if its your first time I would go for: Sao Paulo, Corinthians, or Flamengo.

Teams I play with: River Plate and Nacional, Relative on board of directors.

The annoying part of Brazilian football (in my eyes) is the insane amount of matches played throughout a year.

They play in the region of 25 games for the big state tournaments (S?o Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, R. Grande do Sul...), plus 38 games from first division, 2 if you qualify for CWC and reach the final, and around 14 games for the Libertadores and Sudamericana (if you start from the group stages [Sudamericana], because you can skip to the knockout rounds just like teams from CL to EL, however it's not really in the same manner haha, so around 8 in that way). So around 80ish games for a "big" club.

But if you don't mind this, it's really fun. You can develop youngsters in those state tournaments and poach quality regens from a large number of clubs and make insane profits.

Sorry but I'm not very familiarized with the other leagues haha