South Shields… From obscurity to European champions?

edwards9

Reaction score
South Shields… From obscurity to European champions?

Seeing my hometown club rooted bottom of the Northern League division one is not a good sight but… it did give me this idea. I have never done such a challenge before, despite being a massive fan of the championship manager and FM series. I have done the usual thing in getting my team Newcastle United dominating European football for years on end but now I think its time to get my hometown club back to the ‘glory days’(i use that term very loosely), which, if yous are interested and think its decent enough I will continue share it with you guys. Just please bare in mind I havnt done anything like this before!!

Before i begin......Here are a few facts about the club….

Name: South Shields FC
Nickname: The Mariners
Fascinating Fact: The biggest recorded home crowd was in 1926 when 24,348 turned out for an FA Cup quarter final with Swansea Town, and the Welsh underdogs from Division Three (South) spoiled the party.
League: NORTHERN LEAGUE DIVISION ONE.

History… South Shields Football Club History Page 2

Twitter - Shaunedwards9

The Journey Begins….

2) First day in the job…..

After ending my Sunday league footballer career early at the age of 27 to pursue a managerial role, I was greeted by the chairman Gary Crutwell at the gates of Filtrona Park, we had a good chat about the job. I was introduced to my assistant manager, that had stayed from the old regime, although we got on well, I will be bringing my own assistant in. So I told him he can leave with immediate effect.
The staff that were there wernt up to scratch so I let them go also.

I met with the players and to my surprise there was only 4!!! After a brief training session, I knew these players wernt up to the level that I have in mind to challenge the big boys of this division such as the recently relegated Darlington, multiple FA Vase winners Whitley Bay and the ‘man city’ of the Northern League Spennymoor, it was then I knew realised I had a lot of work to do to get a squad together before the season kicks off in just over a month!!! Needless to say I told them 4 players not to return to training the following day. Time to use my contacts and get my squad and staff sorted asap.

After hours of contacting players (searching the database) I must of put in over 70 offers for players that were unattached or at Northern League clubs that I was interested in, a lot of those players were being chased by other clubs too. With money not being the key in attracting players at this level (amateur contracts), I had to entice players with the plans for the future of the club and that I believed challenging for the Northern League title was realistic for this seasons aims. I want to build a First Team, Reserve Team and u18s Team so getting numbers in is vital at this stage, not just numbers but quality for my first team though. I had contacted an Assistant manager, Coach, Physio, Scout and Head of Youth Development also that I thought can come in and help me with my aims this season. Hopefully they will join me. Especially the coach which is a well known ex-footballer which would be some coup for the club!

I have arranged a press conference with the ‘South Shields Gazette’ tomorrow morning with chief sports editor Ross Gregory, who I know well from my playing days with Simonside SC, Harton and Westoe CW, The Boldon Shack and Brighams SFC. Hopefully he isn’t too harsh on me!!!