i smell a cheat!

well I am not cheating.. how do you think I am doing that ?

---------- Post added at 01:19 AM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 09:28 PM ----------

update tonight or tommorow guys :)

As the Southampton researcher for Football Manager, this thread was an interesting read. :)

Saints Struggle

I lost the write up of the games so the report will be a bit different this time sorry guys
Southampton stumble
resultsforfebruary.jpg

The worst month this season for the Saints Boss. Only two wins in six and one player forced to retire​

JulioCruz.jpg

Julio Cruz has quit​

Julio Cruz will retire at the end of the season after breaking his leg in a game against Yeovil. The former Argentina international as represented some big clubs in a successful career. He has represented clubs such as Benfica Inter and Lazio and scored goals whether he went. He joined Southampton to have one last go but has find it hard he only scored 4 goals in 13 (10) games for the club. It has left the manager Lewis looking for a new forward ahead of next season. The following strikers are said to be on his short list

Matty Fraytt
Katlego Mphela
Connor Wickham
James Beattie
Marko Livaja​

Norwichdefeat.jpg

Southampton sank in F.A cup clash. The home side were hopeful of recording a win against struggling championship side Norwich. The game was a poor one with both sides creating very little chances. The home side will be disappointed not to have taken the chances that did come their way though. They will be even more disappointed with the manner in which the late Norwich winner was scored.

Countywin.jpg

Notts County needed at least a point as the season comes to a close. They almost got it as they held out a number of Southampton attacks.
However the referee was soon at the centre of attention awarding Southampton a late penalty.
Lambert stepped up to convert the spot kick. The points were sealed in the 92nd minute
The referee awarding another penalty to the home side Lambert again stepped up to seal the win.

TABLE AFTER 35 GAMES

Tableafter35games.jpg

11 games to go 7 points clear ahead of second and 13 points from 3rd​

the remaining fixtures are​

Tranmere ( A )
Swindon ( H )
Huddersfield ( A )
MK Dons ( H )
Rochdale ( A )
Hartlepool ( H )
Peterborough ( H )
Sheffield Wednesday ( A )
Dag & Red ( A )
Brighton ( H )
Bristol Rover ( A )

Sorry it was so short

[COLOR=#00e0]---------- Post added at 09:47 PM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 05:36 AM ----------[/COLOR]

Tranmere 0 Southampton 0
MOTM Demerit 7.30
Disappointing another two point’s dropped need to hit some form again soon or I won’t win the league.
Southampton 1 Swindon 0
Demerit (24)

MOTM Demerit 8.40

Very poor performance players just cannot keep up the fitness. Still all you need at this stage of the season is results.

Huddersfield 0 Southampton 0

MOTM Davenport 7.30

Another two dropped points Plymouth won so they gained two points on my promotion chasing side. The away form is worrying me at the moment. The lack of goals I am conceding is a plus but they can’t hold out every game, My side has now secured a play-off spot.

Southampton 3 MK Dons 1
Scheniderlin (26) Davenport (48) Lambert (81) Chadwick (16)

MOTM Davenport 8.20

A good solid win don’t know where they got this performance from maybe a week off? My side went a goal down and I thought they might crumble. A equalizer before half time was key and we got one through and excellent chance. Davenport got us into the lead and Lambert sealed the win.

Rochdale 2 Southampton 4
Lambert (1) (6) (49) (89) Morals (17) (57)

MOTM Lambert 9.80

Lambert was a king in this game four goals two from outside the box best performance from a Southampton player. Very pleased I kept him in January despite him asking to leave and Wolves almost making a bid.

Table after 40 games
Tableafter40games.jpg

Southampton 2 Hartlepool 1
Lambert (59) Brown (28) (40

MOTM Brown 8.80

Davies has been in goal as Smethies has been on international duty I think it is fair to say I need a new back up keeper. He just is not up to scratch lucky for me Peterborough also lost.

Southampton 0 Peterbrough 2
MCccan (18) Smith (30)

MOTM MCccan 7.10

Devastating result now just two points separates my side from second place Peterborough back to back defeats for the first time as a manager. It is painful I must win my next game.

Sheffield Wednesday 1 Southampton 1
Davenport (30) Tudgay (87)

MOTM Davenport 8.10

A late Tudgay header sees my sides poor away form continue just one win in 5 away from home now. 3 games without a win and now second in the table on goal difference. My side can seal promotion by match Plymouths result in the next game but really I want to win the league.

Dag & Red 1 Southampton 0
Scott (18)

MOTM Scott 7.40

Thrown away the league title here 3 defeats in 4 has completely blown my title bid and just 4 points separate me from Plymouth following there win. A win in my next game will see my side promoted but I can’t see it happening, as it is against Brighton who has won their last 5 games. Brighton have also not lost in 14 games. Peterborough has now been promoted to the Championship.

Southampton 1 Brighton 0
Barnard (70)

MOTM Barnard 7.60

It looked for allthe world that I would not score. There keeper was a rock but Barnard scored the winner from 20 yards in off the post. A Leyton Oriant leveller in their game V Plymouth meant my side sealed promotion. The last three months have been a struggle and Peterborough claiming the side slows the downfall of my side in recent weeks.

Bristol Rover 1 Southampton 2
Lallana (5) Bernard (13) Hughes (29)

MOTM Lallana 8.10

Nice to end on a away win still disappointed with the way my side ended the season but still time to prepare for the CHAMPIONSHIP !

FINAL TABLE

Finalleaguetable.jpg

The seasons transfers
Saintsseasontransfers.jpg

Happy with my signings for the season would like Coleman back next year but will be hard. Julio Cruz was a bit of a flop :( I hope to do better on my free agents next season maybe I will go for young players.

League one team of the year
5playersinteamoftheyear.jpg

5 of my players in the team of the year good job they do not have a team of the year bonus in their contracts.

Fans player of the year

Saintsplayeroftheyear.jpg

Lambert is the player of the year 27 goals in the league in the end. That is not bad for a player who only scored one goal in seven at the start.

Saintsmakeloses.jpg

3.3 Million pound loses I stayed within the budget just shows how much I needed to get out of the league. The board have said they will back me in the transfer window to help a promotion bid next season.

Last edited:
that is devastating not winning the league, so many poor games at the end but i wish you luck in the championship

Excellent story - I am playing Southampton as well and love the team. Keep posting...this is great.

i did a southampton story check it out, i bought webo and emir bajrami on loan great signings as well as guthrie and mokoena

all change as Saints

It’s all change as Saints bring in youth to push for promotion.
Playersout.jpg

Manger Lewis let go an astonishing 14 players after the end of the season he clearly must have targets in mind. Most notably let go were David Connolly who was named in the fans team of the year. At 33 Lewis clearly felt he was too old to continue to play for the Saints.
Saints board ask for top half finish

Saintsbudget.jpg

Saints given fighting chance by bookies at 12-1 for a newly promoted side they clearly feel the Saints should not be under estimated this season.

Shane Duffy
Shane-Duffy-.jpg

Following a new link between Chelsea and Southampton Chelsea have loaned me Shane Duffy the centre will find 1st team places hard to come by. Getting past Fonte Demerit and Davenport will be hard but to have four good centre backs is great for the season.

Connor Wickham
Wickhamsigns.jpg

Amazing signing he clearly has a great future in football I am surprised he was not snapped up last season. He found first team places hard to come by and Ipswich clearly doesn’t rate him as highly as I do. I had to talk to my board about this one but a change in the budget helped the signing come through.

Mark Randall
MarkRandall.jpg

The young centre midfield player was released by Arsenal I needed a new midfield player to add to the squad. I released a lot of players I thought were past it or not good enough so young promising talent is vital.

Dan Gosling
DanGosling.jpg

This is only a loan from Newcastle I failed in a bid for Coleman so I have brought in Dan Gosling to play right back. He can also play in front of my back four if need be.

Adel Taarabt
Tarrabtsigns.jpg

The only other player to cost some money all be it a large amount of money. He fell out with QPR boss Neil Warnock. The attacking midfield player clearly has great dribbling skills flair and technique and was disappointed with his team mates as QPR finished 10th last year. The player hardly covered himself in glory only grabbing one goal so I have asked the board to change the budget to allow me to get the transfer through, and am willing to take a punt on the young talented player.

The Saints manager has urged fans to get behind the new players

great signings good luck you will need a solid defence in the championship and a striker to score for fun

great signings good luck you will need a solid defence in the championship and a striker to score for fun

Great signings, could u also post your formations and tactics ??

Peterborough 1 Southampton 4
Taarabt (26) Lambert (39 pen) Armstrong (63 og) Lallana (80) Mackial smith (44)

MOTM Lallana 8.10
Payback for beating me to the title Taarabt with a debut goal Wickham played well and set up Lallana late on when he should have scored himself. This was really a league one fixture but I hope this is a sign of things to come.
To the left is the side I will be playing to the right is my 1st team
Torquaychanges.jpg

Torquay 1 Southampton 2
Randall (10) Wickham (70) Kee (40)

MOTM Wickham 8.50

I kept Wickham in the side in the hope he would get his first goal for the club. The performance from my side was poor but I can take heart from a debut goal for Randall and Wickham’s first for the club.

Ricardo signs
Ricardo.jpg

Ricardo has been capped 81 times by his country and offers plenty of experience. He will be a back up keeper but a pretty good back up keeper to have. Real Betis let him go at the end of the season and I more then happily welcome him to the club

Southampton 3 Derby 1
Taarabt (16) Lallana (45+2) Fonte (63) Sernas (4)

MOTM Chamberlian 9.00

Still Wickham does not have a league goal only two games in though. Maybe he will do a lambert, to be fair to the striker he has set up 3 goals Taarabt on the other hand has two in two so far. Following the match it was confirmed Lambert will be out of action for 3 months. I may now try get a striker in on loan or push Taarabt upfront and put Randall in the centre.
Lambert out for 3 months !

Magnus Eikrem signs
Magnus-Eikremsigns.jpg

Another young player at the club released by Man United he will be back up but I am sure he can contribute when called upon.

West Ham 0 Southampton 2
Fonte (16) Wickham (67)

MOTM Fonte 8.3

A fantastic result West Ham have some great players but my young side are not push over’s Wickham started on the right side of attack with Taarabt partnering him. Lallana was moved into the centre Chamberlian was pushed out to the right and Tshbalala came in on the left hand side. I great performance from my keeper I am most pleased with how young the core of my side is.

Youngsaintssidebeatwestham.jpg

Man City 2 Southampton 0
Ruiz (43,45)

MOTM Ruiz 9.20

Never expected to win it only losing 2..0 is a bit of a compliment mind considering the quality of City
Lovenkrands comes in on loan

Lovenkrands.jpg

He may not be the prolific goal scorer needed but the key is I am not paying any wages.

Southampton 1 Barnsley 0
Wickham (5)

MOTM Gosling 7.30

So soon after the cup game I was not sure how they would cope. Barnsley were hit for 6 in their last game so I thought if my team played ok they would win. Wickham was gifted a goal after 5 minutes and it was keep ball from then on. At half time I had to chop and change a bit with Butterfield Randall and Eikrem coming on for Tshbalala Taarabt and Wickham. Lovenkrands made his debut but went off injured with 2 minutes remaining.

Cardiff 0 Southampton 1
Randall (57)

MOTM Demerit 7.60

Cardiff are currently in the relegation zone I guess I caught them at a good time. Lovenkrands had to come off at half time due to fitness so Taarabt was pushed upfront and Randall came on in the middle. The young midfielder came on and shrugged off three challenges and belted it into the top corner. Another clean sheet as well my back four is really something.

Table after 5 games
Tableafter5games.jpg

Last edited:
Managerofthemonthawardstartofchampionship.jpg

I started the month by claiming the manager of the month for the previous fixtures. It is down to my players really but it is nice the results get noticed.

Southampton 1 Norwich 1
Holt (55) Taarabt (70)

MOTM Hoolahan 8.20

First dropped points of the season lucky to get a draw Norwich hit the woodwork 4 times Taarabt and Chamberlian linked up well to grab a point for my side though.

Southampton 1 Leicester 2
Wickham (64) Rybus (4,82)

MOTM Rybus 8.80

Disappointed to lose at home but Wickham got on the score sheet and hopefully I can get a win in my next game to bounce back.

Preston 1 Southampton 2
Taarabt (7,75) O shea (18)

MOTM Taarabt 9.20

Should have been more comfortable then this Wickham could have had a hat trick. The players played well but if not for a great strike by Taarabt and a diving header I would have been disappointed. Still a win is a win.

Millwall 0 Southampton 2
Bernard(25) Lovenkrands (64,pen)

MOTM Demeritt 7.80

Possibly facing a striker crisis here Bernard came off injured Lovenkrands was limping at the end. Disappointed Taarabt did not take the penalty. I had to start with Lallana upfront with Bernard as Lovenkrands was not fit enough to start and Wickham was away on international duty.

Southampton 1 Nottingham Forest 0
Bernard (41)

MOTM Demeritt 7.70

A really scrappy game but Forest just could not get past my back four. I can’t say enough about my back four and goalkeeper. I remember saying when I signed Demerit it was a championship signing and he has proved so far he can do it.

LEAGUE TABLE AFTER 10 GAMES
leaguetableafter10games.jpg

[COLOR=#00e0]---------- Post added at 06:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 AM ----------[/COLOR]

Southampton 2 Plymouth 1
Taarabt (6,74) Wright Phillip (85)

MOTM Taarabt 9.30

Credit to Lallana who started his 3rd game playing upfront as he posed a real threat. Taarabt was again up for it and showed his quality with two great finishes. Plymouth have been struggling so far but they did not make it easy for my side. Disappointed to concede a goal at the end but my team held on for all three points.

Leeds 0 Southampton 1
Taarabt (77)

MOTM Taarabt 8.00

I would have taken a draw before the game but once Leeds Kellkenny was sent off just before half time I told my players to go for it. Wickham was back after international duty and partnered Bernard upfront. My side created a number of good chances in the second half but it looked like Leeds had held out. That was until Taarabt picked up the ball just inside the box and fired it past Schmeichel in the Leeds goal.

Southampton 1 QPR 0
Lovenkrands (20)

MOTM

Lovenkrands played upfront with Wickham for this one and he took the only real chance of the game on 20 minutes. Both sides passed the ball well but found it hard to create. Taarabt looked out of sorts against his former club but you can’t expect him to score every game.

Watford 0 Southampton 0

MOTM Gardner 7.50

I wanted three points from this Watford currently in the relegation zone and I had a 100% away record going into this. Watford to my surprised played very well and limited my sides chances. They could not find the break through either as it drizzled out for a draw.

Southampton 1 Swansea 1
Taarabt (72) Shitu (10)

MOTM Shitu

Had I not got something from this game I would have been speechless. Swansea scored from a corner which is never good but my side gave it a real go. They hit the woodwork three times in the second half and the Swansea keeper made some great saves. Once again though Taaabt proved too much to handle as he dribbled past a few players and drilled the ball home.

Table after 15 games
tableafter15games.jpg

Sheffield United 0 Southampton 0

Struggling for goals at the moment Lambert came on after recovering from injury but failed to impress. My next two games are Palace and Ipswich I hope they find there shooting boots for them games.

Southampton 0 Ipswich 0

MOTM Harding 7.20

4 draws in a row this championship is hard Wickham and Lovenkrands were out for this one. Lambert came into the starting 11 with Barnard and never troubled there keeper.

Crystal Palace 1 Southampton 4
Bernard (8,36) Lambert (42,71) Silva (44)

MOTM Lambert 9.20

The first game Lambert is fully fit and he puts in a performance like that. If I can get him and Wickham fit and to play together I should surely find it easier to find the net. There was also a welcome return for Tshbalala who has missed 3 months after getting injured while playing for South Africa.

Lamberthappywithmanager.jpg

Lambert was clearly pleased he was still part of my plans despite his long term injury.

Lambertsignsnewdeal.jpg

His deal was up at the end of the season so I got him for 5 more years. A long deal perhaps but increases his value and he could well be off in the summer. If Saints gain promotion to the top flight.

Southampton 0 Coventry 1
Carsley (15)

MOTM Carsley

One step forward followed by two steps back again failed to score a goal and went down from a goal conceded from a corner. Not a happy manager

Blackpool 3 Southampton 0
Corradi (13) Pandini (43) Torrodo (81)

MOTM Corradi 7.80

My lead at the top is now just three points lost 3..0 to a team who played 82 minutes with 10 men what has happened to my players?

Terrible month did not score in 4 of my 5 games

Table after 20 games
tableafter20games.jpg

Saints land Scunthorpe in F.A CUP 3rd round
FAcup3rdrounddraw-2.jpg

Asked about the draw the manager said "we do get some luck in the F.A cup draws" "it will give us a chance to rest some players"

Southampton 1 Hull 0
Wickham (16)

Wickham finally scored he has played over 9 hours without finding the net. The first team experience will do him good. Some will say now is not the time to hand out games but I still think he is the best partner for Lambert. Such was the dominate of my side that Hull only managed one shot all game.

Wigan 3 Southampton 2
McCarthy (31,85) Rodallega (73) Lambert (1) Wickham 28)

MOTM McCarthy 9.00

Just when I thought they had got over the little blip they chuck away a 2..0 lead. It is a young side but that simply should not happen. I expect a response from my players in the next game.

Southampton 0 Bristol City 1
Cisse (31)

MOTM 7.60 Cisse

Saints officially in meltdown just 2 wins in 10 games

Southampton 3 Peterborough 0
Fonte (31) Lambert (66) Bennet og (90+1

MOTM Fonte 8.40

I really hope this gets the confidence back into my side I need to put a good run together and pull away from the chasing pack. I do not want to be dragged into the play-offs as it is a lottery.

Derby 3 Southampton 3
Taarabt (22) Eikrem (68) Fonte (73) Commons (32) Doyle (66) Ziijiler (78)

MOTM Taarabt 8.20

What I would do for back to back wins right now. Taarabt scored his first for a while but it was quickly cancelled out. In the second half I brought on Lovenkrands Eikrem and Chamberlain to give us some freshness in midfield. Lovenkrands only lasted two minutes before he had to go off leaving me with 10 men on the field. Still they fought back into the lead but gave it away straight away. Great for the netrual a killer for me.

TABLE AFTER 25 GAMES
Tableafter25games.jpg

[COLOR=#00e0]---------- Post added at 04:54 AM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 06:05 AM ----------[/COLOR]

Barnsley 0 Southampton 1
Eikrem (86)

MOTM Demeritt 7.80

Chamberlian and Eikrem were given starts after impressing against derby. The first half was a poor one with both sides lacking confidence. Late on Connor Wickham was forced off with an injury Lovenkrands came on and with just four minutes left he set up Eikrem to get his second in two games.

Scunthorpe 1 Southampton 1
Laffety 81 Novak 16

MOTM Duffy 7.80

Laffety out for 3-4 weeks the striker earned my side a replay with his late goal but got injured during the last minute off the game. Having really bad luck with my strikers at the moment.

Scunthorpe or Southampton to play West Ham in cup
Scunthorpeorsouthamptontoplaywestham.jpg

Saints manager Lewis had this to say "it will be a hard game but we have to get past Scunthorpe first"

Southampton 3 West Ham 0
Lovenkrands (14) Taarabt (48) Fonte (61)

MOTM Taarabt 8.70

The players really benefited from the rest in midweek they walked West Ham all over the pitch Lovenkrands popped up with a tidy finish. Taarabt scored another great goal and Fonte bulleted in a header. A tricky visit Cardiff follows this but confidence is back in the side.

Southampton 0 Cardiff 0

MOTM Demeritt 7.60

Just could not break the door down in this one. Still a good point and another clean sheet the players will get a rest as my F.A cup game is next.

Laugh off wickham bid
Saintslaughofwickhambid.jpg

The club released a statement saying "none of the current squad is for sale; we have high hopes for our side. A team with hopes and ambitions for the future does not sell any of their current side"
The manager had this to say “it is an outrage we brought him for more than that in the summer, yet with more games under his belt and a few goals Man City think he is worth less"

Southampton 0 Scunthorpe 0 4-2 pens

A second string Saints side needed penalties to get past league one table toppers Scunthorpe. It was an even game but neither side could manage a break through even after 120 minutes. Saints keeper Ricardo has been the hero in much more nerve racking shoot outs before saved two Scunthorpe penalties as the home side progressed.

Norwich 2 Southampton 0
Holt (54) Jackson (65)

The rest did no good this time as Norwich stay in the promotion hunt. A poor performance from my side again saw them fail to find the net. I have lost count of how many times that has happened this season.

Saints reject Fonte bid
Saintsrejectfontebid.jpg

The manager had this to say “it was a good offer from a premier league club ,however I am pleased the board has backed me by rejecting this bid. Fonte has been a key player for us in the last few seasons and we hope he can continue to be"

Saints set to lose promising player
Saintslosepromoisingstar.jpg

The board released a statement saying “he have rejected a number of bids in the past for days for key players. This offer however was too good to turn down; of course we are disappointed to lose someone who came through our academy. We hope the fans will understand the financial reasons and on the basis of the current squad as to why the bid was accepted thank you"

Southampton 0 West Ham 0

MOTM Smithies 7.50

Southampton face a replay at Upon Park following a bore draw at home.

High hopes for keeper
Highhopesforsaintskeeper.jpg

After the game the manager said this "today was not his best game for us by a long way, but he did what he had to do" On report suggestion he was the next David Seaman he responded " Well he was my childhood hero as a young player at school and I hope our keeper and emulate that"

Everton to play Southampton or West Ham
Everton.jpg

The manager said this after the draw " we had to get a premiership club at some point we should be congratulated for getting this far"

So are you saying you cannot win "No did you hear me say that?"

Southampton 0 Millwall 1
Henry (70)

Dominated for large periods but again failed to find the net !

TABLE AFTER 30 GAMES
Tableafter30games.jpg

Last edited:
hey guys thanks for the feedback but because of lack of readers i will not be writing anymore up or any storys in future. I can tell you I got promoted through the play-offs in the end and finished 16th in the PL in my 1st season
sorry to let you down but was a waste of my time for nobody to read it
sorry guys.

if you want me to start it up from the second season in the prem I could but you will not see the first season because I do not have the write up. I could start a season with my hometown club Grimsby but I will not do it for two reads in a week :)
sorry guys

Last edited:
You should of signed Aliadiere on free..he always did amazing for me on my southampton one...i won league 1 and only lost 4 league games all season.

---------- Post added at 12:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 PM ----------

Your doing amazing!! it took me ages to get into the premiership!!!