Spain, another golden generation of superstars on the way?

Which nation in Fm2010 has the most promising youth (Under 20) coming through?

• Vote Spain

Votes: 30 39.0%
  • Vote Italy

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • Vote England

Votes: 14 18.2%
  • Vote Brazil

Votes: 8 10.4%
  • Vote Argentina

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Vote France

Votes: 4 5.2%
  • Vote Belgium

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Vote Other

Votes: 6 7.8%

• Total voters

yimrsg

Reaction score
Which nation in Fm2010 has the most promising youth (Under 20) coming through?

I think Spain have the best youth coming through who look most likely to succeed at international level. They have a good balance of various positions, and in Spain younger players are given more game time early in their careers at medium stature clubs with no one team holding a monopoly on talent, unlike in Italy where it is tougher for youngsters to break into the first team at bigger clubs (which seem to develop most promising youngsters) regularly.

Italy have some promising attackers but seem to lack more defensively minded players in development. England seem to be building a team of Jack's of all trades. Brazil have a conveyor belt of talent, likewise Argentina where youth team players get thrust into first team action at an early age. France would get the silver medal from me with players like Sissoko and Sakho in key positions to build a team around. Belgium would get my bronze with some promising youth in midfield belying their size in interational football.

Please Note:
For the purposes of this list I’ve excluded players who are 20 or older (Pato, Aguero et al) from the start of the game from this list although I have not been able to verify every players exact age. Also I am not considering regens. I haven’t managed in all the nations nor purchased the players listed below and have based some on other posters recommendations and personal experience in fm2010. Also, this list is nowhere complete or an attempt at all-encompassing review of young talent by country merely my musings on who could become key future internationals for their country.

I have excluded some younger players whose potential level within the game is still too far off to make estimates eg Alphonse Areola who could still fall through the cracks as they develop or get stuck behind a slightly older / better player stunting all their potential. Anyone remember Johnnier Montano?

Please forgive me if I have made any obvious errors, spelling mistakes and omissions or inclusions.

Spain
Sergio Asenjo, Javi Martinez, Iker Muniain, Sergio Canales, Ignacio Camacho, Marc Muniesa, Bojan, Yago, Daniel Parejo, David De Gea, Cesar Azpilicueta
Italy
Mario Balotelli, Alberto Paloschi, Davide Santon, Federico Macheda, Stephan El Sharaway, Marco Veratti,
England
JonJo Shelvey, Jack Wilshire, Jack Rodwell, Danny Welbeck, Fabian Delph, Jack Cork, Jose Baxter
Brazil
Neymar, Diego Renan, Rafael, Fabio, Giuliano, Breno, Douglas Costa, Rafael Toloi
Argentina
Daniel Villalva, Eduardo Salvio, German Pacheco
France
Mamadou Sakho, Moussa Sissoko, Sofiane Feghouli, Yaya Sanogo, Henri Saivet, Yannis Tafer, Armand Traore
Belgium
Edin Hazard, Mats Rits, Romelu Lukaku, Axel Witsel
Germany
Marko Marin, Mesut Ozil, Felix Kroos, Toni Kroos, Thomas Muller, Timo Gebhart

Misc
Thiago (Barcelona)– in some games he selects Spanish National Team and others Italian.
Bosnia & Herzegovina - Miralem Pjanic
Montenegro - Stefan Jovetic
Russia - Alan Dzagoev , Alan Gatagov
Wales - Aaron Ramsey
Austria – David Alaba
Denmark – Mathias Jorgensen
Senegal – Khouma Babacar
Mexico - Martin Galvin

Thanks to

Sean's Potential European Stars Shortlist
http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/f73/potential-european-stars-shortlist-t21811.html

Raikan007's Wonderkid List
http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/f73/raikan007s-wonderkid-shortlist-for-fm10-t24990.html

Los Wonderkids Potential Wonderkid Database
http://loswonderkids.com/database/potential-wonderkids

I can't remember where or who posted these links but were helpful also
http://www.truefootballmanager.com/2009/10/football-manager-2010-wonderkids-and.html
http://fmtool.blogspot.com/2010/02/wonderkids-list.html

Last edited:
I could add hatfuls of names for Argentina and Brazil.

Keirrison, Bounannotte, Piatti, Dodo, Breno, Douglas Costa etc

Also i thought Thiago was Brazilian?

Martin Galvan from Mexico deserves a mention in Misc

Last edited:
Performance wise, i've always found the youngsters starting to come through at razil are better than the spanish ones, and a lot are good enough already to play as backup to first team players.

Just like to add for brazil:
Dodo, Gerson, Cesar, Dalton, Allan, Rafael Toloi, Mario Fernandes, Maicon (ST), Cruz, Renan Riberio
(Just from the brazil team that all turn out just fab ;))

I could add hatfuls of names for Argentina and Brazil.

Keirrison, Bounannotte, Piatti, Dodo, Breno, Douglas Costa etc

Also i thought Thiago was Brazilian?

Martin Galvan from Mexico deserves a mention in others
i think thiago was born in italy but he's a brazilian, though im not quite sure.

Last edited:
Wiki said:
Thiago Alcántara do Nascimento (born 11 April 1991) is a Spanish-Brazilian footballer who currently plays for Segunda División B side FC Barcelona Atlètic.

Thiago Alcántara was born in Italy and grew up in Spain and Brazil.[3]He started at the lower levels of Flamengo and at the age of 5 he moved to Spain with his father Mazinho and started playing with Galician team Ureca in Nigrán. In 2004 he signed with FC Barcelona. Later his younger brother Rafael Alcántara do Nascimiento also moved to Barcelona.

so we are all right really

GERMANY. Seriously, I think they hold all the U-?? tournaments atm. You forgot a LOT of German starlets.

Andreas Beck, Benedikt Höwedes, Sandro Wagner, Gonzalo Castro, Thomas Müller, Timo Gebhart (assisted Stuttgart's goal vs. Barcelona last night), Daniel Schwaab...

GERMANY. Seriously, I think they hold all the U-?? tournaments atm

Ghana are current holders of the FIFA U20 World Cup
Germany are current U21 European Champions
Switzerland are current FIFA U17 World Cup Champions
Ukraine are current U19 European Champions
Brazil are current South American U20 champions (not that Germany can enter of course...)

I'm guessing this is based on FM?

Yep it is. On a side note is there a world outside FM2010?

I left out alot of the ones mentioned as they're 20+ at the start of the game so I didn't consider them for simplicity- Buonanotte, Keirisson, Schwab etc.

It would get to complex so I took the easy way out and decided to exclude anyone who wasn't a teenager at the game start.

Also I haven't managed in South America (have the leagues loaded) so I only get my paws on promising youngsters when they turn 18. Oh, and I haven't activated the Germany national team in my game yet so no doubt I forgot or i'm completely oblivious to some names there.

Ghana are current holders of the FIFA U20 World Cup
Germany are current U21 European Champions
Switzerland are current FIFA U17 World Cup Champions
Ukraine are current U19 European Champions
Brazil are current South American U20 champions (not that Germany can enter of course...)

I think Germany holds three European Champion Chips at the moment with the U21, U18 and U17 I think. But this isn't in fact a good indicator if the German players are the best it only says a lot about their team spirit and determination. Especially at that level of football team work and determination will go a long way and probably most of the time be the decisive factors in those competitions.

But at present I see a lot of good talents from many nations but actually none of the Messi/CR quality.

i couldnt find results for euro 18 and 17 champs.

did anyone really know about C Ronaldo/Messi before they appeared on the scene though? I can safely say i certainly didnt. No doubt the next superstar will emerge unexpectedly and take us all by surprsie

Yep it is. On a side note is there a world outside FM2010?

I left out alot of the ones mentioned as they're 20+ at the start of the game so I didn't consider them for simplicity- Buonanotte, Keirisson, Schwab etc.

It would get to complex so I took the easy way out and decided to exclude anyone who wasn't a teenager at the game start.

Also I haven't managed in South America (have the leagues loaded) so I only get my paws on promising youngsters when they turn 18. Oh, and I haven't activated the Germany national team in my game yet so no doubt I forgot or i'm completely oblivious to some names there.

You still missed a lot of players who turn out great, such as the oens i named above, all teenagers at the start ;) Your first post did seem a little bias towards spain :)

I am currently playing as toulouse so i would go with France, avoiding the obvious Saviet, Sakho, Traore, Kakuta here is my list of less known starlets

Yohan Mollo - Monaco
Sankhare - PSG
Gassama - Lyon
Situ - RC Lens
Areola - PSG
Barre - FC Nantes

You should add Danny Wilson to the misc list. Great player who was worth 13m after a few seasons. He's a scottish 17 year old left back/center defender

i couldnt find results for euro 18 and 17 champs.

did anyone really know about C Ronaldo/Messi before they appeared on the scene though? I can safely say i certainly didnt. No doubt the next superstar will emerge unexpectedly and take us all by surprsie
I just checked up on this:

They are the U-17 and U-21 champions, and the U-19 title has just been snatched from them last year. They held all three briefly, after they won the U-21 tournament in the summer, but then Ukraine won the U-19 tournament a month or so later.

Still :)

Wow.

You have made 1 massive mistake. You missed N'Gog of the French list. XD

I can't really decide which Nation has the best youngsters at the moment. I don't see enough of them play and therefore can't make a fair judgment. I guess we will find out in a good few years. :)

Belgium....
Defour, Witsel, Hazard, Alderweierld, Romelu, Rits, de mul, list is tooooooooo long to keep posting

Not to mention Thomas Vermaelen, Miralles, Fellaini

Last edited: