Speed handed Wales reins

Matty

Reaction score
The Football Association of Wales has confirmed Gary Speed as their new manager.

The former international midfielder was given permission to discuss the role on Monday by Sheffield United, where he has been in charge since August.

Discussions progressed at pace over the next 24 hours and he was officially unveiled as Wales manager on Tuesday afternoon.

SkySports

BBC

Guardian

The Telegraph

Independent

Last edited:
Sheffield United haven't exactly been stellar recently, but I suppose he's a Welsh manager so...

Hope he knows what he's doing.
The first thing he needs to do is to call up Ryan Giggs to the national team. :p

Why does the Welsh FA insist on shooting themselves in the foot like this? He has barely 4 months as a manager and that was hardly convincing was it?

Perhaps a complete change was needed at Sheff United. No wonder they didn’t object though, they can now hire again and hope it works out and managed to pocket some money.

Why does the Welsh FA insist on shooting themselves in the foot like this? He has barely 4 months as a manager and that was hardly convincing was it?

Perhaps a complete change was needed at Sheff United. No wonder they didn’t object though, they can now hire again and hope it works out and managed to pocket some money.

Ye i agree it seems like an ideal situation for Sheffield United, they have been under performing, and have some how managed to gain money for getting rid of the manager that was seemingly not good enough for the role, and with the amount of out of work managers of significant quality at the moment, its hardly likely they will struggle to find a replacement.

Hope it works out, but I guess history says it won't. Being a toon fan though, I have big love for Gary so I hope he does well, with Ramsey etc coming through he might get lucky

Wales have loads of talent coming through but lets be realistic Speed isnt the guy to take us forward.
He only got the job because the Welsh FA have no money and couldnt afford a decent manager so they went with someone who will do it for the honour, i.e. a big name welshman who hasnt ruined his reputation as a manager, and frankly Speed is the only one who hasnt.