SPL biggest transfer fee?

• Thread starter Blynd1
  • Start date
  • Replies 38
  • Views 5K
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jumped on you a bit over nothing, my bad!

I agree for long distances his pace is average but over 10yards his pace is frightening tbh. He can hold the ball up well. I didnt think he would be able to put at times when we have played him up top on his own he has been great holding the ball up waiting on the support to arrive. He is surprisingly strong.

He has already proven he can be a top Championship striker even when with a bottom team like Scunthorpe. Why would he go back to that. Prem teams where after him when we signed him so surly proving himself in another league as well is in Europe cn only increase the premiership demand for him. Swansea payed near 4mil for Graham who isnt as qualified as Hooper and is older.

My bad again with the assists but as you said it is still a good record.

This season Hooper has had 19shots and 12 goal.
Last season he had 25shots and 20 goals.

Scottish Premier League Scores, News, Stats, Fixtures and Tables - ESPN Soccernet

It’s alright, no harm done.

That ratio is ridiculously good though. Earlier in the season, my friend was calling him fat,lazy,not a worker etc etc (Celtic fan) but that's what I mean, he isn't really that kind of player.

Do you think he would do well in the premiership? I think it’s very hard to tell. He has a remarkable record up here and when he gets chances he is putting them away but he is playing for Celtic. If he moves to Southampton for example and they get promoted, will he get the same opportunities playing against far better players with a lesser team etc?

4M for Hooper is a fair offer for a limited forward like Hooper.

In your opinion. In mine it's not.

If Jelavic was supposedly worth this £10m that's being bandied about then Hooper would be worth more because he is a better overall striker. We all (or anyone with an ounce of common sense) know that Jelavic is NOT worth anywhere near £10m, and nor is Hooper (yet :p) though, and MAYBE only just about £5M but even still with Hooper being better than Jelavic he would be worth more.

Now for anyone thinking I'm saying he's better than Jelavic just because "I'm a Celtic supporter" is nonsense. Jelavic is a decent striker but OVERALL (and that's taking into account shot for goal ratio for just one aspect) I think Hooper is better. They are different types of strikers though.

Hooper may not be a COMPLETE striker as in got the lot but his work rate is good, he is surprisingly strong at holding up the ball (seen him a good few times playing with his back to goal to hold up the ball for other players to come up) and his acceleration is very quick. He is anything but fat and lazy.

Do you think he would do well in the premiership? I think it’s very hard to tell. He has a remarkable record up here and when he gets chances he is putting them away but he is playing for Celtic. If he moves to Southampton for example and they get promoted, will he get the same opportunities playing against far better players with a lesser team etc?

To be honest it's hard to tell who would do well anywhere after they move clubs. You just have to look at players that are already playing in the EPL and have moved clubs (not just strikers either) ie Carroll, Torres, Crouch (although I think he's been rubbish no matter where he's went). Even players like Barry, Ireland and
Downing who all had excellent scoring records for midfielders have struggled.

Hooper had an excellent record with Scunthorpe - 26 goals in all competitions in his first year (in League 1), 20 in all competitions in his second year (in the Championship). Came to the SPL (which is probably on a par with the Championship to be honest) and scored 22 goals in all competitions in his first year (and this is with him being injured for about 2-3 months) and this season he's got 16 goals in all competitions so far and still this is with him being out with an injury for about 3 or 4 weeks after the 5-1 win against Dundee Utd at the start of the season. And he's only 23.

I think he could cut it in the EPL better than some strikers who are already playing there.

Last edited:
I think hooper is an excellent striker who'd do really well in EPL. After seeing him play against Udinese (3rd in Serie A at the time of writing) and scoring away there, my opinion of him has grown a lot more. Just hope celtic don't sell him for peanuts, he's worth a lot more than 6 million (newest bid) and if he was playing in England, he'd go for much more money.

It’s alright, no harm done.

That ratio is ridiculously good though. Earlier in the season, my friend was calling him fat,lazy,not a worker etc etc (Celtic fan) but that's what I mean, he isn't really that kind of player.

There are times when he doesnt seem to track back and then there are other times he busts a gut to get back. I dont think it is down to being lazy, I think that is how he is asked to play sometimes. Against United at the weekend I remember him tracking back really well and winning the ball a few times.

I think he would be great in the Prem. A lot of clubs are looking for natural finishers and he is great at that. He is strong and has a quick burst of speed. He has proven he can score against top quality opposition as well as being a big game player.

There are times when he doesnt seem to track back and then there are other times he busts a gut to get back. I dont think it is down to being lazy, I think that is how he is asked to play sometimes. Against United at the weekend I remember him tracking back really well and winning the ball a few times.

I think he would be great in the Prem. A lot of clubs are looking for natural finishers and he is great at that. He is strong and has a quick burst of speed. He has proven he can score against top quality opposition as well as being a big game player.

This is true and never thought of that before.

It could all be what Lennon is wanting him to do in that match to be honest like you have mentioned. He could simply be told to stay up high against the so called "smaller" teams but with the bigger teams he could be told to come deeper to help out in closing down players. Different tactics for different situations.

I'm sure he'd do well in the EPL BUT with the £35m price tag I think he should be safe with us for a while yet :p

I'm pretty sure the highest transfer fee received was Aiden McGeady 9.5M

P.S. Lennon is a mug he would easily accept 6 Million for Hooper

Edit: Jelavic is a far more superior ST/Player than what Gary Hooper is IMO infact i would go as saying Stokes is a better player than Hooper is but to say Hooper is a better ST is absurd

Last edited:
Fail.

Thats why we have rejected 6mil and Lennon has said it would take closer to 35mil for him?

Disagree with the last bit but cba debating atm.

Fail.

Thats why we have rejected 6mil and Lennon has said it would take closer to 35mil for him?

Disagree with the last bit but cba debating atm.

have Southampton actually came out and say they have tabled a 6M offer? the last i read about it was Lennon laughed off a 4M offer but the daily record believed they were going to go back in with a 6M offer and see tbh Lennon might not even have a say in it if it makes good business sense then the board might accept it the same with Ally and McGregor/Davis/Jelavic

and to the Jelavic Hopper debate it's funny how Liverpool are leading the chase for him but only Southampton are intrested in Hooper

have Southampton actually came out and say they have tabled a 6M offer? the last i read about it was Lennon laughed off a 4M offer but the daily record believed they were going to go back in with a 6M offer and see tbh Lennon might not even have a say in it if it makes good business sense then the board might accept it the same with Ally and McGregor/Davis/Jelavic

and to the Jelavic Hopper debate it's funny how Liverpool are leading the chase for him but only Southampton are intrested in Hooper
So Lennon is a mug but know it would be the board that would accept it? The Adkins said he made a new bid (believed to be 6mil) and it has been rejected and he is leaving it now.

Liverpool are never going to sign him, leading the chase

I'm pretty sure the highest transfer fee received was Aiden McGeady 9.5M

Edit: Jelavic is a far more superior ST/Player than what Gary Hooper is IMO infact i would go as saying Stokes is a better player than Hooper is but to say Hooper is a better ST is absurd

Highest transfer fee was for £11.5m (including add-ons) for Hutton from Rangers to Tottenham. McGeady was £10.5m (including add-ons).

In my opinion, Jelavic is no WAY a more superior striker or player than Hooper. The shots per goal ratio alone tells you that Hooper is more prolific that Jelavic. This season across all Scottish competitions -

Hooper - Shots 21; Goals 14; Assists 5
Jelavic - Shots 56; Goals 16; Assists 5

Also NONE of the goals that Hooper has scored were from penalties (which is just as well because Celtic have struggled with penalties this season) - all were from open play so he hasn't relied on scoring penalties. 5 of Jelavic's goals were penalties, so 14 goals from open play from Hooper and only 11 from open play for Jelavic.

If Jelavic was worth £10m like Rangers and the press are hyping him up to be then Hooper would be worth double that.

Southampton to prepare third and final bid for Celtic

Southampton tabled a £6m bid (which was their third bid) for Hooper but Lennon never paid any interest to it because it's a pathetic bid. Lennon laughed off two bids of £4m which is when he came out with the £35m price tag remark (which is a polite way of saying to clubs "F**k off - he's not for sale. You want him then you will have to pay stupid money for him")

The board won't accept it because it will be Lennon's choice, Celtic aren't struggling for money and are only 500K in debt. Rangers would take a decent bid for the likes of Jelavic because they ARE seriously struggling for money and are hugely in debt to just about everyone and their dogs. Plus they still owe Rapid Vienna some of the transfer fee for Jelavic. £10m would go to helping pay off a little of their debt better than £6m would and that is why Rangers are wanting £10m for him even though he's worth nowhere NEAR that.

Anyone who thinks that IF Rangers got £10m for Jelavic and the money would be invested into getting players, they are seriously deluded.

Yeh - Liverpool (who have Suarez, Carroll, Kuyt and Bellamy up front) are leading the chase for Jelavic ahead of the likes of Chelsea
th_laughing-smiley-007.gif
He's only scored 16 goals in Scotland this season so what chance would he have with Liverpool in the EPL?!

Liverpool are leading the chase according to Jelavic's DAD (who was talking to a very reliable source, The Sun
2014_whistling_and_rolling_eyes.gif
). The only clubs that have shown any serious interest in Jelavic have been Championship-bound QPR and Championship side West Ham.

Last edited:
Highest transfer fee was for £11.5m (including add-ons) for Hutton from Rangers to Tottenham. McGeady was £10.5m (including add-ons).In my opinion, Jelavic is no WAY a more superior striker or player than Hooper. The shots per goal ratio alone tells you that Hooper is more prolific that Jelavic. This season across all Scottish competitions - Hooper - Shots 21; Goals 14; Assists 5Jelavic - Shots 56; Goals 16; Assists 5Also NONE of the goals that Hooper has scored were from penalties (which is just as well because Celtic have struggled with penalties this season) - all were from open play so he hasn't relied on scoring penalties. 5 of Jelavic's goals were penalties, so 14 goals from open play from Hooper and only 11 from open play for Jelavic.If Jelavic was worth £10m like Rangers and the press are hyping him up to be then Hooper would be worth double that.Southampton to prepare third and final bid for CelticSouthampton tabled a £6m bid (which was their third bid) for Hooper but Lennon never paid any interest to it because it's a pathetic bid. Lennon laughed off two bids of £4m which is when he came out with the £35m price tag remark (which is a polite way of saying to clubs "F**k off - he's not for sale. You want him then you will have to pay stupid money for him")The board won't accept it because it will be Lennon's choice, Celtic aren't struggling for money and are only 500K in debt. Rangers would take a decent bid for the likes of Jelavic because they ARE seriously struggling for money and are hugely in debt to just about everyone and their dogs. Plus they still owe Rapid Vienna some of the transfer fee for Jelavic. £10m would go to helping pay off a little of their debt better than £6m would and that is why Rangers are wanting £10m for him even though he's worth nowhere NEAR that.Anyone who thinks that IF Rangers got £10m for Jelavic and the money would be invested into getting players, they are seriously deluded.Yeh - Liverpool (who have Suarez, Carroll, Kuyt and Bellamy up front) are leading the chase for Jelavic ahead of the likes of Chelsea
th_laughing-smiley-007.gif
He's only scored 16 goals in Scotland this season so what chance would he have with Liverpool in the EPL?!Liverpool are leading the chase according to Jelavic's DAD (who was talking to a very reliable source, The Sun
2014_whistling_and_rolling_eyes.gif
). The only clubs that have shown any serious interest in Jelavic have been Championship-bound QPR and Championship side West Ham.
So by your saying penalty's don't count as goals last i knew cup finals can be won on penalty's so off course penalty's count i mean look at Cristiano Ronaldo and how many penalty's he scores for Madrid does that make him any less of a goal scorer NO!!!!!The reason Jelavic has had so many shots this season is most probably because he knows the rest of the Rangers team aren't up to the task of scoring goals apart from Naismith but he has been out for a long time now so yeah Jelavic is a bad player because he goes for goal :/ Suarez i will give you is a cracking player Kuyt mostly starts on the wing as well as Bellamy and Carroll is absolutely terrible imo and who will know more about were Jelavic will go you or his OWN Father?I will be very surprised if QPR go down Mark Hughes is a very good manager and with a reported £40 Million war chest to keep them up i fully expect him toEDIT: P.S. I'm NOT comparing Jelavic to Ronaldo what so ever before someone jumps on that!!!!!

Yes penalties count most people can put them with ease. (Unless you play for Celtic)

Liverpool are looking for a goalscorer and Jelavic wont take penos there anyway.

If you take out the Pens, here is what the top scorer table looks like....

Hooper - Played - 23, Scored - 12
Daly - Played - 22, Scored - 11
Sandaza- Played - 17, Scored - 9
Naismith - Played - 11, Scored - 9
Stokes - Played - 22, Scored - 9
Jelavic - Played - 22, Scored - 9

Are a team really going to pay 10mil for a player that has scored as many goals as Sandaza (who they could pick up for free-500k) from play?

So by your saying penalty's don't count as goals last i knew cup finals can be won on penalty's so off course penalty's count i mean look at Cristiano Ronaldo and how many penalty's he scores for Madrid does that make him any less of a goal scorer NO!!!!!

What cup finals has Jelavic scored in from a penalty shoot-out? None.

Also, I'm not saying that penalties don't count as goals so try not to read between the lines please. Goals scored from open play are harder to score than from a dead ball situation from 12 yards out with no one in front of you apart from the 'keeper. That's what I'm saying.

Ronaldo has taken 121 shots and scored 23 goals this season in La Liga. So does that mean Jelavic (or Hooper) is better than Ronaldo because of the shots per goal ratio? I don't think so because Ronaldo has scored 23 in only the LA LIGA where Jelvavic has scored only 16 in ALL Scottish competitions.

Hooper has done BETTER playing in the same competitions than Jelavic.

The reason Jelavic has had so many shots this season is most probably because he knows the rest of the Rangers team aren't up to the task of scoring goals apart from Naismith but he has been out for a long time now so yeah Jelavic is a bad player because he goes for goal :/

Where did I say he was a bad player because he went for goal?
confused-smiley-17428.gif
I'm not dissing him for having so many shots either but what I AM saying is that his shots PER goal ratio is a lot worse than Hooper. He's only scored 16 times from 56 shots but yet he's classed by yourself as a far superior player than Hooper, who's scored 14 times out of 21 shots.

It's not the amount of shots you take - it's the end result that matters. Hooper has scored only two less goals than Jelavic with a LOT less shots taken. To me that is more prolific, which is a better striker/player.

I know above I mentioned Ronaldo's shot per goal ratio BUT, again, Ronaldo is playing for, arguably, the best team (or at least the second best team) in the world in, again arguably, the best league in the world. Jelavic (and Hooper) are in the SPL.

Suarez i will give you is a cracking player Kuyt mostly starts on the wing as well as Bellamy and Carroll is absolutely terrible imo and who will know more about were Jelavic will go you or his OWN Father?I will be very surprised if QPR go down Mark Hughes is a very good manager and with a reported £40 Million war chest to keep them up i fully expect him toEDIT: P.S. I'm NOT comparing Jelavic to Ronaldo what so ever before someone jumps on that!!!!!

I'll definitely give you Carroll because he is definitely not a £35m player. But Bellamy and Kuyt get used as strikers as well and both of these players are far better than Jelavic so would he even get a nod before these two? VERY doubtful. Suarez is only suspended for 8 games so he will be back not before too long, so, again, Jelavic won't get ahead of him. In my opinion there is no way Jelavic will go to Liverpool.

So because his father says that Jelavic is most likely to go to Liverpool means that he's on his way there does it? You don't actually think that his dad is acting like an agent and is basically touting Jelavic? Deluded if you don't think this to be honest because that is all his dad is doing - getting publicity for his son by saying that he'll end up with Liverpool.

He wishes. Oh, and Liverpool have denied that they are interested in Jelavic. I know a lot of clubs say things like that all the time but I'd take the word of Kenny Dalglish over Jelavic's dad.

Mark Hughes is a good manager, granted, but we are talking about a team that has won only 3 matches in their last 15 league games. Hughes may keep them up but it will be a huge ask and there's a huge difference between playing for Liverpool and playing for QPR and it's QPR that has made the inquiries into Jelavic - not Liverpool.

It's also looking more & more likely that he will be going to West Ham so kinda squashes his dad's story doesn't it.

Last edited:
Well Sandaza and Jelavic have scored the same and Sandaza is cheaper

So much ****. Jelavic is pure class and anyone can see it. After the second half of last season people were raving about Jela's goals but also his quality. When he get's Laff back and Naismith to support him you will see his skill and quality ooze out of him. All-round as a player he is better than Hooper. QPR have loads of money but i hope he goes to a bigger team like Liverpool or Newcastle. Jela plays for his national team; Hooper doesn't. Croatia also have quality like Olic, Eduardo and Kalinic upfront.

I think people who are un-biased would find it hard to pick between them but they would rather the tall striker who is good in the air and has bags of technique that guarantees goals.

When I've watched the last few old firm games, I usually feel Naismith is Rangers best player not Jelavic- so a bit perplexed why everyone thinks he's such a good player.

Anyway back to talk of transfers in general: still revelling in Rangers message to Celtic in the 90's that for every pound celtic spend, rangers will spend 10 more- I'm really loving the repercussions now :) HMRC= Ibrokes.

Well Sandaza and Jelavic have scored the same and Sandaza is cheaper

So much ****. Jelavic is pure class and anyone can see it. After the second half of last season people were raving about Jela's goals but also his quality. When he get's Laff back and Naismith to support him you will see his skill and quality ooze out of him. All-round as a player he is better than Hooper. QPR have loads of money but i hope he goes to a bigger team like Liverpool or Newcastle. Jela plays for his national team; Hooper doesn't. Croatia also have quality like Olic, Eduardo and Kalinic upfront.

I think people who are un-biased would find it hard to pick between them but they would rather the tall striker who is good in the air and has bags of technique that guarantees goals.

So much ****.

Jelavic is decent at best. If he was pure class then why aren't clubs tripping over themselves to get him? So far the only clubs that have shown any REAL interest in him are West Ham and QPR (who, even with their £40m budget STILL hasn't put a bid in for him). The Liverpool "interest" is just all media & his dad talking. I mentioned it in another post but WHY would Liverpool even entertain the idea of buying Jelavic when they have the likes of Bellamy, Kuyt, Suarez and Carroll? Easy answer is they wouldn't in my opinion (or King Kenny's seeing as he's dissmissed the rumours :D)

Who were all these people that were raving about him after the second half of last year? Oh, let me guess - "un-biased" Rangers fans :D Hooper's goal ratio is far superior to Jelavic's, his movement is better, his link up play is better, and he doesn't go down like a dying swan in the box either when things aren't going his way (unlike Jellylegs).

Jalavic plays for his national team yeh and he's playing so good that last season alone he played 7 Euro Qualifiers and 3 international friendlies - in 6 of the matches he came on as a sub in the second half, the other 4 matches he was subbed off in the second half yet still managed to score the great tally of ONE goal (which was in the friendly against Slovakia). This season he's played in 2 Euro Qualifiers and in both of those matches he was subbed ON in the 78th & 85th minutes scoring NONE.

If that is "class" then I'd hate to see what he would be like if he was just decent. Oh wait.....
sarcastic.gif

I can be "un-biased" too but I'd rather have the smaller, quicker striker, who can link up well with other players, hold the ball up for other players to allow them to come into play, doesn't rely on getting penalties to win a game and can stay on his feet for more than 10 minutes at a time.

When I've watched the last few old firm games, I usually feel Naismith is Rangers best player not Jelavic- so a bit perplexed why everyone thinks he's such a good player.

Anyway back to talk of transfers in general: still revelling in Rangers message to Celtic in the 90's that for every pound celtic spend, rangers will spend 10 more- I'm really loving the repercussions now :) HMRC= Ibrokes.

Yeh so much for Murray's philosophy
inc-giggle.gif

It brought him SO much success that he ends up selling the club to a "billionaire" crook for a mere £1
JC-ROFL.gif

Hooper has scored more in 4 years (whilst being in the same or a better division) than Jelavic has in his career!

Last season they both played in the same league for roughly even teams.
Hooper 36 games - 22 Goals
Jelavic 27 games - 19 goals.
So shut up about Hooper scoring far more... Jela also tops the goalscoring charts this season so give it a rest.

celtic and rangers off topic and slagging each other off. shocker

Status
Not open for further replies.