Split Block and Mid Block

andyzinc

Reaction score
Ive searched the forums and cant find how to impliment the split block or medium block..
Im playing a 4-1-2-2-1 wide with Arsenal in my third season and a high press leaves me exposed and i want to do either a Mid or Split block.
So im just asking if someone can point me to a thread or show me how to set this up with TI's AND PI's please.

Attachments

• Arsenal.jpg
    Arsenal.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 766
A higher defensive line coupled with a lower line of engagement is compressing all of your players in the middle of the park, meaning that defenders and midfielders have all day to play balls over the top.

If you drop your defensive line to standard it would still be a mid block. And would achieve what I assume you want (space for your wide players to run into).

AFAIK a split block only refers to pressing intensity as only that and tackling can be specified by the player. So if you wanted your defenders to be more restrained with their pressing but specific players on high pressing you would leave TI on standard pressing urgency and set individual players PIs to close down more.

A higher defensive line coupled with a lower line of engagement is compressing all of your players in the middle of the park, meaning that defenders and midfielders have all day to play balls over the top.

If you drop your defensive line to standard it would still be a mid block. And would achieve what I assume you want (space for your wide players to run into).

AFAIK a split block only refers to pressing intensity as only that and tackling can be specified by the player. So if you wanted your defenders to be more restrained with their pressing but specific players on high pressing you would leave TI on standard pressing urgency and set individual players PIs to close down more.

Thank you for the reply. This makes sence . Cheers

Watch your game and you'll notice your fullbacks are probably getting doubles up against (either fullback&winger vs fb or winger&midfeilder vs fb). This is probably because your wingers are pressing high up and probably not tracking their runners. Reduce your full backs pressing intensity to low as there no real need for them to be that high up the pitch with a lot of tactics.

I don't use that particularly as I like my full backs high up the pitch when the opponent turns the ball over so I make one of my DM's a Half back or anchor man (depending on that game) - they split the centrebacks really well so centrebacks can cover wide areas whilst shape compacts again. obviously more room for error but I essentially transition into a back 3 with the ball.

Really depends on what you're aiming for.

I use this FYI (I feel the 3 strikers get into better positions than 2 IFs).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-06 at 5.14.25 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-06 at 5.14.25 pm.png
    140.3 KB · Views: 617