Sporting Club de Portugal - Back to Their Best

leckuno

Reaction score
attachment.php

Sporting Club de Portugal

The goal is to restore Sporting to the top of Portuguese football and also to get the Portugal job and win them their first World Cup.

So at the end of last season Sporting had a horrendous time where a group of 50 fans turned up at the clubs training and assaulted the staff and players. This ended up with a number of players tearing up their contracts with the club and moving on for free while a number of other players were allowed to leave with transfer fee's being paid for them. The reason for this was because the club had lost out on the Champions League places on the final day of the season. They also went on to lose the cup final 5 days after the attack as well which was quite unsurprising really.

[FONT=&quot]The club is well known for their youth development with churning out players such as Cristiano Ronaldo, Nani, Luis Figo which I will be looking to get players like these coming back through the youth teams.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Sporting haven't won the league title since 2001 due to Porto and Benfica being so strong so we will be looking to take Portugal by storm.

The club even won the European Cup in 1964 and finished runners up in the UEFA cup in 2005 which was the last time they really challenged in a European Competition.

[/FONT]
attachment.php

[FONT=&quot]First thing that I will be looking to do at the club is get the Fans back onside with letting our performances on the pitch do the talking.

[/FONT]
I will be looking to sign Portuguese players where possible to rely on homegrown players and try and topple Benfica and Porto to first get Champions League football back to the club followed up by bringing the league title back to Sporting.

Preseason

attachment.php

[FONT=&quot]We had an amazing preseason where we've managed to go unbeaten with some very impressive victories against Real Betis and of course the massive win that was away to Barcelona so hopefully this sets us up well for the season ahead.

[/FONT]
Transfers

attachment.php

The players leaving the club were on high wages and were never going to be first team players so it made sense to let them go and reduce the size of the wage budget and also give us a bit more to spend towards transfers.

Coming in I only made 3 signings due to the large squad. We've signed two great Portuguese youth prospects in Valente and Xadas who will play back up to the first team this season with looking to break into it over time. We also signed Joveljic who I know isn't Portuguese but comes with great talent and is only 19 so will hopefully take on Portugal as a second nationality.

Expectations

attachment.php

[FONT=&quot]The hardest thing here to meet is going to be trying to finish in the top two of the league to bring Champions League football back to the club as it means beating Porto or Benfica but hopefully I won't get fired if I don't meet it during the first season. We also have a good bit of cash left to use during the season to bring in the right players if they come up and there are a couple I have my eye on.

[/FONT]
Debt

attachment.php
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I never realised how far in debt the club was when I took over so thats going to make the save even harder since we will paying out £2 million a month so I think all we can ask for is an early takeover or a restructuring of the debt as I don't want to have to sell players for the sake of keeping the club in the black.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

August

Sporting v Portimonense

attachment.php

We start off with an important 3 points but it was a tougher game that we were hoping for to start the season.

Vit Guimaraes v Sporting

attachment.php

Dost gets a brace here to show his worth to the club and prove why he will be the leading striker this season.

Sporting v Rio Ave

attachment.php

Again a much tougher game than we were expecting as we went 1-0 down but we rallied at half time to get back into the game and eventually take all 3 points.

Vit Setubal v Sporting

attachment.php

Finally a much more comfortable game as all 3 goals come from the wings.

League Table

attachment.php
Cup Draws

The Europa League draw looks like it could be kind and we will be aiming to make the tip 2 and progress in the competition.
attachment.php

The League Cup again should be pretty straight forward and will be looking to play some youth players in the competition

attachment.php

September

attachment.php

September

League Cup 3rd phase Group A
Sporting v Moreirense
attachment.php

We did extremely well here considering we changed 9 of our starting XI here to give fringe players and youth a chance.

Europa League Group B
CSKA Sofia v Sporting

attachment.php

We start our Europa League campaign with a great win away to Sofia but it would of been nice if we'd been able to keep a hold of a clean sheet for another minute or two.

Sporting v Santa Clara

attachment.php

We get a good win here with Mathieu getting a rare goal for the club.

Porto v Sporting

attachment.php

I felt we were still good for a drew here but going down to 10 men just proved to hard for us and we couldn't hold on to fall to our first defeat.

League Table

attachment.php

October

attachment.php

October

Europa League Group B
Sporting v Lazio

attachment.php

I'm disappointed with this result here as it could prove costly in getting out the group stages as we couldn't take advantage against 10 men.

Sporting v Maritimo

attachment.php

Battaglia broke his leg after the 3rd goal and it proved costly as we nearly threw it all away.

Taca de Portugl 3rd Round
Setanense v Sporting

attachment.php

A much better performance here even if it was against lower league opposition but it was a great win.

Europa League Group B
Frankfurt v Sporting

attachment.php

A poor defeat here as Frankfurt were just the much better team.

Sporting v Boavista

attachment.php

We bounce back with a win here with Dost finally getting back onto the score sheet.

League Table

attachment.php

November

attachment.php

Last edited:
November

Sporting v Aves

attachment.php

We seem to be making these matches much tougher than they should be as we scrape another 3 points.

Europa League Group B
Sporting v Frankfurt

attachment.php

An excellent first half from us here see's us back in contention to qualify from the group after the loss in the previous game.

Braga v Sporting

attachment.php

--

Taca de Portugl 4th Round
Sporting v Moreirense

attachment.php

A much better performance in the cup as Cabral gets us off to a great start before Fernandes rounds off the scoring after 68 minutes.

Europa League Group B
Sporting v CSKA Sofia

attachment.php

A tough game again here as a penalty puts the game to bed but at least we kept another clean sheet .

So that win leave us top of the league but we will require at least a draw away to Lazio or we'll go crashing out as I don't see Frankfurt dropping points against Sofia.

attachment.php

League Table

attachment.php

December

attachment.php

Good job on this one
I will start one myself and check if i can win a european title.

Good start, especially to currently top the Europa Group even after losing a game.

Going to be hard to beat Porto & Benfica!

December

Sporting v Moreirense

attachment.php

We rotate the squad here due to the amount of games and we get a good result with Valente getting his first goal for the club.

Tondela v Sporting

attachment.php

Another good win with Ristovski getting a great goal from the RB position after a bombing run down the flank and cutting in.

Belenenses SAD v Sporting

attachment.php

The first team comes back into play here and its a great all round performance that sets us up for the all important Europa League Match

Europa League Group B
Lazio v Sporting

attachment.php

Wendel comes to the rescue and scores the only goal of the game that see's us through the First Knockout rounds.

Sporting v Chaves

attachment.php

--

Taca de Portugl 5th Round
Sporting v Chaves

attachment.php

A much better game here but we still struggled but Dost gets us through into the next round.

Boavista v Sporting

attachment.php

Another clean sheet here see's us now keep 10 clean sheets in a row in the league which shows how well our defence is doing.

League Cup 3rd phase Group A
Feirense v Sporting

attachment.php

A standard win here with Raphinha getting two goals off the left wing to allow us to finish top of the group and see us into the semi final.

League Table

attachment.php

Europa League Draw

So the Europa League draw also happened and it looks like an interesting draw for us and there are a few big teams dropping down into the competition as well

attachment.php

January

attachment.php

January

So the usual start to my January update will see us start with the transfers

Transfers out

attachment.php

We get rid of fringe players again but the biggest person leaving the club was Dost as we get £20 million, he has been really struggling for goals this season so to get that amount is great for the club.

Transfers In

attachment.php

We spend big with the Dost money to bring in Brenner who is a lot younger and will fit into our formation a lot better hopefully. Eggestein also comes in to add a bit more depth up front. Lato and Trincao come in to add more depth as well at full back and Wing.

Sporting v Nacional da Madeira

attachment.php

A bit of a boring match here but we manage to scrape a 1-0 win to get the important 3 points
Benfica v Sporting

attachment.php

The first half we just got played totally of the park but at half time I tore through them and we performed a lot better but just couldn't get any goals.

Taca de Portugl 6th Round
Sporting v Vit Guimaraes

attachment.php

We bounce back with an important win to get us through to the semi final of the cup. It was again a tight game as we struggle to overcome Guimaraes at home.

Feirense v Sporting

attachment.php

Trincao comes to the rescue here with 7 minutes to go to get his first goal for the club

League Cup Semi Final
Sporting v Porto

attachment.php

We get our first win over one of the big two in Portugal to send us through to our first final

League Cup Final
Benfica v Sporting

attachment.php

We put up a much better fight here but Benfica are just too strong for us at the moment and lift the League Cup

Sporting v Portimonense

attachment.php

Again we bounce back from the defeat with Toni Lato getting a debut goal to win the match and earns a place in the fans hearts straight away.

League Table

attachment.php

February

attachment.php

Last edited:
February

Sporting v
Vit Guimaraes

attachment.php

A sore defeat here after taking the lead after 2 minutes but 2 quick goals in the final 6 minutes of the game kills us off and its even worse as we lose to 10 men.

Rio Ave v Sporting

attachment.php

Another great start to a game with 2 quick fire goals and this time we manage to hold on.

Europa League First Knockout Round 1st Leg
Atalanta v Sporting

attachment.php

What a game as we fall 2-0 behind but this time it ours turn to score 2 late goals to get the game back on level terms.

Sporting v Vit Setubal

attachment.php

Jeremy Mathieu comes to the rescue here as he gets a goal either side of half time to get us back in the lead after Pinto's own goal.

Europa League First Knockout Round 2nd Leg
Sporting v Atalanta

attachment.php

A bring draw here is enough to see us into the next round thanks to our two late goals in the first leg.

Santa Clara v Sporting

attachment.php

Another late goal comes to our rescue again to grant us the 3 points.

Europa League Draw

attachment.php

League Table

attachment.php

March

attachment.php

March

Sporting v Porto

attachment.php

A fantastic start to the month as we get our first league win over one of the big two which also increases our lead over them.

Europa League Second Knockout Round 1st Leg
Olympiakos v Sporting

attachment.php

A poor finish to a game again as we we struggle to see out another game with conceding the 2nd goal on the blow of the final whistle.

Maritimo v Sporting

attachment.php

We were lucky to hold on in this game as we got truly battered in the final 15 minutes as our players were tired.

Europa League Second Knockout Round 2nd Leg
Sporting v Olympiakos

attachment.php

We have a much better performance here as Raphinha gets two quick fire goals to send us into the quarter finals.

Taca de Portugl Semi Final 1st Leg
Belenenses SAD v Sporting

attachment.php

--

Aves v Sporting

attachment.php

Brenner finally gets his first league goal for the club so hopefully he can kick on from here.

League Table

attachment.php

Europa League Draw

attachment.php

Youth Intake

We have a positive youth intake with what looks like 4 players that should make the cut at the club in the future.
attachment.php

April

attachment.php

April

Sporting v Tondela

attachment.php

We throw a bit of rotation into the starting XI here and it shows in the first half as we only got one goal but what a final 20 minutes as we run away with the match.

Sporting v Braga

attachment.php

A much more comfortable match here as we get a goal right before half time that gave us a confidence boost before Fernandes finishes the game off.

Europa League Quarter Final 1st Leg
Sporting v Bayern Leverkusen

attachment.php

A great game where Luis gets the only goal of the game, he has been a revelation since he was given his chance in the centre of the park.

Moreirense v Sporting

attachment.php

We throw it all away in the final 15 minutes as we concede right at the death of the game.

Europa League Quarter Final 2nd Leg
Bayern Leverkusen v Sporting

attachment.php

We make sure there are no questions asked here as Brenner gives us a great advantage with 2 away goals which see's us through to the Semi Final.

Sporting v Belenenses SAD

attachment.php

A great game here which see's 18 year old local lad Sousa get his first goal for the club which will see him getting more game time with the run in of the season.

Taca de Portugal Semi Final 2nd Leg
Sporting v Belenenses SAD

attachment.php

We run riot again for the second game in a row with Joveljic finally getting a couple of goals again to see us through to the final against Braga.

Chaves v Sporting

attachment.php

A great first half here was enough to get us the three points.

Europa League Draw

attachment.php

Leaving it a bit late and I'm not going to lie I was starting to get a bit worried but I finally sign a new contract that see's me tied to the club until 2022.

attachment.php

May

attachment.php

May

Europa League Semi Final 1st Leg
RB Leipzig v Sporting

attachment.php

It might seem like a boring draw but to take a goalless draw back to in front of our home fans will be brilliant.

Sporting v Boavista

attachment.php

We have to rotate here with the game in between the two legs of the semi final but we manage to grab a deserved 3 points

Sporting v RB Leipzig

attachment.php

What a game we had, the fans really were the 12th man here as they pushed us on and our defenders put the game to bed in added time.

Nacional da Maderia Sporting
attachment.php

So soon after the Leipzig game we had a lot of rotation here but the players did well to get a point.

Sporting v Benfica

attachment.php

I don't even care than Benfica didn't field a strong first team since they had already won the league we absolutely pummelled them from the start with all 5 of our goals coming in the opening half hour. Just gutted the players started to let them off after that. This game also confirmed we had second place and would have Champions League football next season.

Sporting v Feirense

attachment.php

We could rotate here knowing we couldn't shift in the league and Joveljic took the plaudits with an excellent brace.

Europa League Final
Sporting v Chelsea

attachment.php

Safe to say I was a bit gutted with this result as we were the much better team in this game even though we went behind twice but this will drive the players forward and given a number of young players excellent experience.

Taca de Portugl Final
Sporting v Braga

attachment.php

We bounce back with an excellent result with Trincao coming back to haunt his old club and ensue we lift some silverware this season.

League Table

attachment.php

So with the amount of debt the club are in we've not been given much of a budget for next season and will look to rely on selling players coming back in from loans that won't make the first team.

attachment.php

Season Overview

attachment.php

We have managed to match or exceed the expectations that the board set at the start of the season. We did great in the league to pip Porto to second spot and get Champions League football again at the club. We lost to Benfica in the Portuguese League Cup final which was tough but we just didn't turn up. We followed that up with winning the other domestic competition the Taca de Portugal with an emphatic win over Braga to make sure we lifted some silverware this season. The tough one was losing to Chelsea in the Europa League Final on Penalties but on wards and upwards for next season.

attachment.php

Jovane Cabral picked up two awards this season and he was outstanding on the right wing all season chipping in with 17 goals and 12 assists. At only 21 he has a big future ahead of him at the club.

Lato was a bit of a strange one s he actually only played 9 games for the club over the second half of the season whereas Trincao has become an important player.

attachment.php

Commercially the club is very strong as we actually bring in the most sponsorship in the league so hopefully this can help us push on in future seasons if we can keep building on it then it should hopefully find its way into our transfer budget.

Next season we will be looking to push Benfica a bit more in the league so will be looking to bring in a few players. To be able to do this we will be looking to sell a large number of fringe players as when everybody out on loan returns we will have a massive squad so its important to trim all the dead wood.