MrStu01

Reaction score
In 1906 with the help of from cash from his grandad, Jose Alvalade began a legacy that would 110 year later create some of football's most memorable icons. CR7, Quaresma, Nani, Paulo Futre to name a few. They would go on to win 46 Portugese dmestic trophies and 1 European Cup Winners Cup.

"We want this club to be a great club, as great as the greatest in Europe."

The words echoed around the tunnel as the players lined up. This was it, their chance to add to the list of greats who had gone before them. A Marcha do Sporting began to blare over the tannoy and as they all took one more deep breath and looked around at their team mates, the walk began for one last time this season!

Many people will say that the Portugese league is not that much of a challenge. However there are many challenges i feel need to be completed here and that is my aim. Get to know the club, get to know the players and push them to their limits. With that in mind here is what i know

Club History
View attachment 92142
View attachment 92141
View attachment 92140 View attachment 92139
"A total of 42 trophies is by no means something to be ashamed of however there is a noticeable lack of European gold and also a recent lack of Liga NOS trophies which will have to be my number one goal at the club."

Top Players
View attachment 92138
View attachment 92137 View attachment 92136
"For me we have a solid spine and i think these players stand out. Rui is our club captain and a big influence between the sticks. It is important for us that we have good leadership who knows the league and can read the game as it develops. Silva is going to be a big creator for me and if he stays fit i hope he lives up to potential and finally Bas will bring the goals. If i know Dutch strikers they are always strong and have an eye for goal"

A trip to Italy awaits Sporting Lisbon as their pre season begins. Please join us there

Last edited:
View attachment 91876

Sporting Lisbon travelled to Italy and despite all the fun and frolicks there was business to take care of:
Sporting 1-0 Olympiakos
Sporting 3-1 Frosinone
Sporting 1-0 Udinese

Following the trip to Italy the team stopped off on the return home for a match vs Osasuna in Spain. Another 1-0 win was followed by some sunbathing and party night before jetting off for Lisbon the next day. The final pre season match saw a surprise 2-1 defeat to Lisbon B. Yes that's right the main team lost to the B team.

Meanwhile back at home...

-The board gave us some targets
View attachment 91881

- The pre season team report came in
View attachment 91880

-And there was a new arrival
View attachment 91878

Stay tuned for details of the transfer window and an opening day derby showdown vs Benfica
View attachment 91877

August 12th 2016
Estadio da Luz
6.30 pm

View attachment 1118415
So the moment of truth had arrived. The first competitive game in charge of Sporting Lisbon and it would be against an old adversary. A rival.
Walking into the stadium the atmosphere was near unbearable, heat, noise, the Estadio da Luz was ready. 5,906 Lisbon fans made the journey a great turnout for the opening day! As the sun shone reporters gathered to field some questions.
"Games like these add to the season, The fans always make these games more exciting and for my first game i can't think of a better challenge."

8.30 pm

View attachment 91838

View attachment 91837
9.02 pm
GOAL Benfica 0-1 Sporting (Semedo)

A corner whipped into the box by Silva is met by Lindelof, the ball drops to Jefferson who flicked near post and Semedo powers a header into the bottom corner.

10.03pm
GOAL Benfica 0-2 Sporting (Driussi)
A great sweeping move by Sporting which began with a Carvalho ball forward, Dost flicks a ball round the corner and Sporting are suddenly 3 0n 1. Alan Ruiz slips a pass back post for new signing and debutant Driussi to put this game to bed

10.05pm
GOAL Benfica 1-2 Sporting (Semedo OG)
Game on late doors as a cross into the box misses Jonas at the front post but Semedo can only flick it in off his head. Sporting fans are biting their nails now. 7 minutes to go.

10.09pm
GOAL Benfica 1-3 Sporting (Martins)

That seals it. 90th minute hits and another set piece put in by Silva is flicked by Semedo and Martins steals in on the half volley to finish the game. Some relief for Sporting who were very much under pressure

A great performance for the first match of the season for Sporting Lisbon not only to beat our rivals but to beat them away from home after a very good attacking performance. It could have all been so different. A great way to start a new season.

"Today i think Sporting Lisbon answered a few questions people had. Such a big game on Week 1 could have had huge knock on down the line when points become bigger. I am very proud of what we achieved and i think the fans are going home with important bragging rights"

View attachment 91834
Semedo praised on social media (except that one guy)

View attachment 91715

Previously mentined Sporting Lisbon signed a new player. Let's see what exactly i have been up to.

View attachment 91714
Despite his advancing years (he's only 31) Lassana Diarra was the first signing of the summer. He come in to fill a position we need work in and potentially frees up either Silva or Carvalho to play further forward.
Price: Free Transfer

Gino Peruzzi
is filling a rotation void we have in RB however it is widely believed the player will get a good amount of games this season.
Price: £3Mil

View attachment 91712
Sebastien Driussi
, similarly to Gino was raided from South America and has bags of potential. A goal in his last game represents some of the striker's ability and awareness as he could be a star of the future.
PRICE: £ LOAN

In Zurich...
The draw for the 2016/17 Champions League was about to begin. Sporting Lisbon were considered 3rd seeds and so would have to keep their fingers crossed for a favourable draw.
View attachment 91713
As it turned out crossing everything didn't work and Lisbon have been paired with two bit hitters in PSG and Atletico meaning the Celtic becomes more significant.

Following a win over Benfica wins over Tondela and Boavista followed sending Sporting Lisbon to the top of Liga NOS.
Sporting 1-0 Tondela
Boavista 0-3 Sporting

September

View attachment 91379

Sporting 1-0 Victoria
A 4th successive victory capped a superb start to the season albeit a tight affair. 5 shots apiece in this one with Adrien SIlva making the difference in the second half.

Sporting 1-2 PSG
For our first Champions League outing of the season we gave it a good go. Possession and chances were edged in our favour however a late Cavani goal saw the team fall to defeat.

Rio Ave 2-0 Sporting
A disappointing result off the back of a good perofmance saw us lose top spot. An angry post match conference followed.

Sporting 2-0 Belenenses
A much changed side on the back of the last result and fatigue put in a very positive performance. A debut match for Lass who got himself a MoM award.

Atletico 5-0 Sporting
Well a terrible second run out in Group H which started off with a disallowed goal for Bas Dost form there however it was all down hill as Saul and Greizmann pulled us apart.

October

View attachment 91378

Pacos de Ferreira 0-1 Sporting
A rather lifeless run out following the Atletico result the winning goal coming from the penalty spot.

Academica 1-2 Sporting
Round 3 of the Taca Portugal was rather convincing despite the close scoreline. A late consolation for Academica undid a clean sheet for Beto and was disappointing based on our domination of the game however in to the next round we go.

Celtic 2-1 Sporting
A huge disappointment as Celtic was the team i expected to battle for 3rd spot. The gameplan and tactics worked for the first half but two quick goals in the 52 & 55th minute saw Celtic race 2-0 ahead. A late goal from Bruno Cesar did nothing to lift a laclusture half leaving Sporting clinging to Champions League lifeline with 3 to go. Bottom of the group. (Celtic are somehow top)

Vitoria Setubal 0-0 Sporting
Another poor performance and a worryingly long time without a goal for Bas Dost. Managing only 2 so far this season. An injury to Carvalho was the only mentionable event from this game which saw Sporting drop points in the summit battle.

Sporting 1-0 Nacional
nother penalty giving us 3pts and a lead at the top of Liga NOS as our challengers slipped up. Perhaps this will give us the boost needed to push on.

Liga NOS
View attachment 91377

Adrien Silva is Top Scorer with 6 Goals
Adrien Silva is Top of the Assists with 5

View attachment 90601

November

View attachment 90600

Lisbon 3-0 Celtic
With backs against the wall a good result mean the clubs Champions League hopes were barely alive but a good result against PSG in Paris would leave us in a better position.

Lisbon 3-1 Chaves
A return to league action saw a comfortable win over a mid table Chaves side. Finally Bas Dost seems to be kicking on as he grabbed his second in two games and Driussi chipped in with a second before Coates secured a win late on.

Lisbon 3-1 Varzim
The cup was a nice distraction and a welcome change for some squd players. Despite falling behind Douglas headed in a corner before Lass and Driussi finished the job and Lisbon go marching on

PSG 5-0 Lisbon
With the first team back in action a good result was necessary. If Celtic lost (which they did) a point would be enough to keep hopes alive. Di Maria caused all sorts of problems and a 10 minute blitz in the second half saw them leap from 1-0 to 4-0. Sadly Lisbon crashed out of the Champions League with a very poor performance

Braga 0-5 Lisbon
Fresh off the European hurt the players seemed to have a sting in their tail and went to task dismantling Braga. At the time of the game Braga were 17th and struggling so early goals from Semedo and Dost left them backs against the wall. Second Half goals from Silva, B.Ruiz and Jefferson completed the rout.

Chaves 1-2 Lisbon
A minor competition on Lisbon's radar saw wholesale changes. As a result Lisbon struggled to a win in unconvincing fashion. Castignos and Lass rescued the 3 points.

Great too see my club getting a story! Shame about the Champions League though

Just one thing, Sporting isn't Sporting Lisbon, it's Sporting Clube de Portugal, Sporting CP or just Sporting.

Great too see my club getting a story! Shame about the Champions League though

Just one thing, Sporting isn't Sporting Lisbon, it's Sporting Clube de Portugal, Sporting CP or just Sporting.

Glad you are enjoying it. Yes it is a shame it was a tough group but i was hoping to get Europa League from it.
I'm glad you mentioned that as i found an image for my next post on here which says exactly the same. So i think i will go with Sporting from now on. (Silly english mistake calling them Sporting Lisbon)

View attachment 90369
As i have found out by doing this story it is very easy to slip into bad habits by referring to the team as Sporting Lisbon but that is wrong. Don't do it. Also if anybody wants to see this story told differently please tell me how. I am nearly at the end of the season and feel perhaps the story doesnt engage enough. Now without further ado let's get on with the March to the top...
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The year was drawing to a close and as December hit Sporting found themselves facing a busy fixture schedule.

View attachment 90368

Sporting 1-2 Moreirense
Not a great start to the month and this result has allowed Porto to close the gap at the top to just a couple points but there were positives, in particular a brilliant solo effort from Bas Dost.

Sporting 1-0 Atletico

This win really came too little too late and was a surprise to me as i rested all my starting XI. Sebastian Driussi popped up to score in this one and Lass hit the post late on but Atletico rarely threatened in fact 5 shots all game with 1 on target perhaps reflects the surprise of what happened.

Sporting 3-0 Maritimo

Back to league business and Porto played first and drew 1-1 with Benfica allowing us a huge opportunity here. Campbell, Dost and Oliviera all scored in the first half to make this game simple. A late penalty save from Rui Patricio really helpe the confidence however the game was marred by a red card for Schelotto.

Taca de Portugal 5th Round
Sporting vs SL Benfica

View attachment 90367 View attachment 90366
Big match reports are reserved for league games at the moment (and cup finals) butwhat a performance by the lads in a cup match. Before the match the team talk was based around channeling the energy from the first match and it seemed to work. That's 2 wins vs Benfica now and this was nothing short of dominant.
Carvalho (18) Jefferson (61) & Castaignos (83)

Arouca 1-1 Sporting
The league campaign was basck and rotation brought some faces back into the fold and saw others rested. A much needed second half goal from Adrien Silva saved what was an error prone performance.

Sporting 2-0 Rio Ave
The group stage of Taca de liga saw us move onto 6 from 6 with a comfotable win over Rio Ave. Peruzzi surprisingly opened the scoring with a free kick and that was followed soon after by Driussi. The competition isn't even close to a priority but the performances are leading us toward our first trophy of the season.

As we head to January we will face Porto in a hotly anticipated game and also the transfer window opens. SPorting have a lot of players loaned out and so the squad will need trimming before the summer but i expect to sell a few players in January as there have been A LOT of issues with playing time hence a lot of rotation. Some are happy others are still an issue. There is also one surprising departure based on reasons i will explain in the next post.

Last edited:
January

A long month with 8 games in all. Plus the transfer window which will be covered in a seperate post.

Sporting 0-1 Vitoria Guimaraes
The last group match of the Taca da Liga did not go to plan and it was very disappointing with the players involved. The effort was below par and so we moved swiftly on.

Estoril 1-5 Sporting
This match was a lot better. Silva, Lass, Dost & Driussi stepped up and put the cup match behind them and a message was sent to the rest of Liga NOS.

O Classico Derby
19.00pm

View attachment 90267 View attachment 90266
View attachment 90265

As this post is going to be long the detail won't be quite like the Benfica game however Porto took the lead but a second half strike from Paulo Oliveira rescued a point and it could have got better but WIlliam Carvalho hit the post with a late effort.​

View attachment 90264

Sporting 3-2 Feirense
End to end football which saw Schelotto sent off early on. A change in shape caused a few problems but some late heroics from Silva ensured we stayed top of the league.

Pacos Ferreira 1-2 Sporting

With a league game vs Benfica coming up (a tough month for league games) a lot of changes were made. Bruno Cesar shone as a MOTM performer and Castaignos found another goal as he finished from close range. The win put us into the next round and in a strong position to challenge for the cup.

View attachment 90263
Sporting 0-0 Benfica

There were very few chances to speak of in this game. Dost had an effort saved for a corner, Benfica had a goal ruled out for offside and there were 3 yellow cards. But a season unbeaten vs Benfica is something i am proud of.

Taca da Liga Semi Final
Sporting vs Fc Porto

View attachment 90262
Bas Dost (5) & Sebastian Coates (41)

A high pressure second meeting of the month with rivals Porto and a second derby in a few days. Thankfully this one went a lot better than both draws this month. 5 minutes in and Bas Dost connected with a ball from Gelson. A second opening shortly after for Lass Diarra forced a good block from the defence. Sebastien COates made it two from a corner before half time. Andre Silva scored shortly after half time but the result never looked in doubt.
SPORTING ARE IN THE FINAL

View attachment 90261

Coming up, the match report from the final and the transfer window

January 29th
Estadio Dragao
19.45 pm

Taca da Liga CTT Final

View attachment 90207
FC Arouca vs Sporting

The first cup final of this season comes against FC Arouca. It is a competition that i didn't realise was a part of the calendar and something the board have placed no importance on however it is a chance for silverware in a trophy i was surprised to find out Sporting had never won. So why not take this opportunity.
Arouca had done well to get this far, they had beaten Benfica amongst others to get where they were so no chances were being taken here. Our win against Porto 3 days earlier was not enough to give me 100% confidence we would win.

9.20 pm
GOAL
FC Arouca 0-1 Sporting- Dost (80)
It was a very long time coming. The game was not the most interesting and so as i was preparing subs for extra time a long ball forward from Semedo to Bryan Ruiz began a nice passing move which ended with a lovely chip over the back line from Alan Ruiz and Dost took a touch and smashed the ball in to the top corner.

9.34 pm
FINAL WHISTLE-
SPORTING WIN THE Taca da Liga for the 1st TIME

The game was not an exciting final. 3 shots on target a piece however we edged possession. The first trophy for the club is a huge moment for everyone and i'm glad we have got it so early into the season. The confidence will hopefully carry through into the rest of the season.
View attachment 90206 View attachment 90205 View attachment 90204

View attachment 90203
As promised the updates from January

View attachment 90202
A busy window for outgoings for Sporting. A lot of these were due to lack of playing time for people. I'm not big on the portugese league so it's possible i have made a mistake however i had my reasons for the transfers.
Podence and Esgaio were wingers who i knew would not play. Depth wise i am covered for wingers so the money i got for them was good for the club.

Now the most surprising move was Schelotto to Man City. He was my best full back and was a first team regular so you might wonder why he has gone? The simple answer is discipline. In December and January he got 4 red cards and i had enough of it. We got Peruzzi in the summer and he was good enough to play so i offloaded him with very few regrets.
DeAndre Yedlin came in on loan as cover for Peruzzi.

COMING SOON
View attachment 90199