"Spurring on the Lads," A Tottenham Hotspur Story

puzzled

Reaction score
RedknappTakes Charge of the Three Lions

Rumours have eventually been put to bed with the Footballing Association announcing Harry Redknapp as manager of England. Redknapp, former Tottenham Hotspur managerhas been odds on favourite for the job since it was announced Fabio Capelloresigned from the job. Redknapp enjoyed a great spell as Tottenham managerafter getting Tottenham to a champion’s league spot, by bringing in world classsignings. A press conference came at 4pmtoday with The F.A. board satting that they were “delighted to finally get Harryas manager of England and wish him all the best for hopefully a successfulstint in charge.” Redknapp then answered questions saying “I’m devastated toleave such a fantastic club behind me in Tottenham, but it’s a great honour tobe manager of England and it was an offer that I simply he could not refuse.” The whole deal of Redknapp being the Englandmanager became a whole lot easier after being acquitted of all chargesfollowing his trial accusing Redknapp of tax evasion earlier in the month.

567.jpg

In other news rumours are flying round White Hart Lane to see who their nextmanager will be. Currently, Chris Houghton of Birmingham City, Alan Pardew ofNewcastle and former manager of Spurs Martin Jol are all rumoured to be in themix for the vacant job. All managers are yet to comment about the position. The Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy said “Weare very sad to see Harry go, but we understand why. We wish him all the bestin the England Job.” However, when askedabout who they would like as a new manager, Levy failed to comment saying “You’lljust have to wait and see!”

Cole Announced As SpursManager

Former assistant manager to Jose Mourinho Matt Cole has been announced as TottenhamHotspur manager at 8pm today. This comes after former Spurs Manager Harry Redknapptook up the vacant England job. Cole comes after following Mourinho around fromChelsea, Inter Milan and Real Madrid. Cole has had plenty of time getting tipsfrom “The Special One” yet lots of fans are still questioning Cole as managerwith “no proven track record.” However, Daniel Levy put this aside. After beingquestioned this he said “Matt has great hunger to be successful and that’s whatwe were looking for. He may not have a great amount of experience as a managerbut he definitely knows how to run this club.” Cole also laughed off this andsaid “I’m determined to prove all doubters wrong, I know Tottenham can be successfulunder me.” Only time will tell if this is proved to be right and whether Colecan cope under pressure like no other as Tottenham Manager.

sport-graphics-2008_693958a.jpg

Levy confident overdecision to put Cole in as manager

On a side note: Thanksfor reading my story, the next update will be coming out fairly soon I just needto write it up. Comments are always appreciated if you have any constructive criticismI’m all ears and will take into account. However, if you just say “This is sh*tI will just ignore. No changes have been made to the game so Capello will stillbe England manager!

Last edited:
I threw the newspaper with David Levy's face onto the sofa.It had been three months since the day I was appointed as manager and it went like a blur. A lot had to been done to prepare for the new season ahead and ithas been more challenging than I ever had expected. Tactics, transfers,contracts and unhappy players are only some of the things I had to contend with. But apart from that I've loved my time so far at Tottenham.

I can still remember the day of my interview for the job sitting outside, I was a nervous wreck. The minutes seemed to be hours and I just wanted to get over and done with. Once Daniel invited me in I handed overmy C.V. and announced my ambitions for the club. "I know I can get this club to a top four finish. I may not be the most experienced in the world but I'm hungry for success. I've learnt a lot from Jose Mourinho and I know it's my time to shine instead of being outshined by Mourinho." Somehow this actually impressed the board and I got the job!

The first task was getting the ambitions and transfer budget of the club sorted and I straight away went for a top four finish. One of the reasons I got the job was for setting my goals high, but realistic enough to get Daniel Levy'sbacking. This meant going straight for a Champions League spot as well as a cup run in either the F.A or League Cup and then came the Europa League, I decided a quarter final finish was respectable.

Then came meeting the lads, a motivational speech was needed. "Lads, I know your sorry to see Harry go, but we need to look to the future. I know we can win this league you are top quality player and don't let anyone say otherwise. These fans here watch you week after week so if anything, play for them and the club. We can do this just believe in yourselves..."This seemed to go down well and I couldn't of been happier. The boys here have been so welcoming and I can't thank them enough. Later that night I met up with some of the lads outside of training to get to know them a bit better. I'm a firm believer of managers being your mate as well as the one who screams at you when performing badly. A connection with the lads is needed if you want to become successful.Gareth (Bale), Luka (Modric), Rafael (Van der Vaart) and Ledley (King) all came round for a couple of drinks. This broke the ice and got me to know them a bit better.

A good night was followed by the most toughest, boring and lengthy requirement so far. The tactics. Many nights were spent thinking whattactics would suit the boys the best and it eventually came down to two:

The Home Tactic:
A 4-3-2-1 was created with a focus on the two wingers. I decided a very attacking tactic with a poacher, two inside forwards, a box tobox midfielder and advanced playmaker. This created a high amounts of chances to hopefully provide high scoring games. As well as this, a Deep lying playmaker and a very defensive defence were created to make two sides to the team. Half attacking whilst a defensive part to keep clean sheets. This means the forwards did not need to come back as much giving us an overall more attacking feel. This is going to be played at home and against weaker oppositions.

The Away Tactic:
A 4-1-2-2-1 was also created to counter the opposition. This would be our more defensive tactic and provide a quick counter attack once we retained the ball. The wingers are also emphasised in this tactic as they would be the ones pushing quickly forward to get the ball in the box. An anchor man was put in place to keep it tighter at the back compared to the more attacking tactic.This will be used for most away games as well as the big games against topteams such as Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City and Man United.

Overall, the endless fretting over tactics had seemed to payoff with two very good tactics. I was pleased as it would fit perfectly with the squad with quick wingers, creative midfielders and a strong defence. I just knew it would be perfects for the lad’s way of play. This proved correct as I showed lads the new tactics as we started practicing it in training the seemed pleased and looked to be working perfectly.

TottenhamHotspurTactics_TeamInstructions.png

TottenhamHotspurTactics_TeamInstructions-2.png

Last edited:
The next update will be around 2pm, please can you comment if your following!

August

The first month of the season is one of the vital. It's thetime where the squad gel with their fellow players and the new tactics. It wasalso busy for me sorting out transfers and the pre-season friendlies. As fortransfers nothing came in our way, I decided our team looked strong as it wasand it meant I could save some cash in case some player came up in January. Theonly pieces of transfer were some of the youths going on loan. The key ones were Harry Kane going to Exeter,John Bostock was off to Milwall and Danny Rose went to Preston. There were afew more such as Oscar Jannson and Andros Townsend who went to Crewe and Huddersfieldrespectively. I was pleased with this as it meant the youth got first hand experiencein the football league and hopefully learn some vital skills for theirfootballing career.

After all the transfers it was time for the pre-seasonfriendlies. This was the time to scout each of the players and see how wellthey were fitting into the new tactics. It also meant getting back to fullfitness ready for the new season.

TottenhamHotspurFixtures_Fixtures.png

This was certainly a very challenging pre-season with a fewshocks on the way. A loss to Leyton Orient wasn't what I expected, we were allover them! Also, I was disappointed in the PSG result, even though they haveall the money in the world I knew we could best them. However, it does mean theplayers got to shake off their rustiness before the actual season starts.

With the season about to get underway I was confident enough with the squad to compete for the title. However, a tough match awaited us. A home tie against Chelsea would kick off the league, what a tough match to start! The month would then have game against Wolves and Blackburn which I will hope for three pointsin each game. Then there will be the two Europa league 4th round qualifiers against Jablonec a team in the Czech Republic. Overall a tough month with some fixtures I could trip up in; fingers cross for four wins out five will be mytarget!

Last edited:
September
A tough start to the season lay ahead of me with some hard matches. Here is how it went:

Spurs 1 Chelsea 0
Defoe

I'm delighted with the boys today. In an equal game we showed spirit to get a goal and then to hang on till the very end. This kicks off the league with a great result against a team that will rival us in the league title race.

Spurs 0 Jablonec 0

A slightly disappointing result, it would have been nice if we could have got an away goal but we’ve got the advantage of being at home next time. A tight match in fairness Jablonec could have got a result out of usbut we stood strong and the defenders can be happy with their performance.

Spurs 3 Wolves 1
Adebayor x2, Bale

A great match which we can take many posotives from. A strong performance attacking wise and we so could of kept a clean sheet.

Spurs 5 Jablonec 0
Adebayor x2, Dawson, Lennon, Modric

That's what I was talking about! All guns blazing we wentout there and killed off the game. No way were they going to win this one!

Spurs 2 Blackburn 0
Bale, Modric

And a final win against a bogey team normally! This continued my unbeaten run. What was most pleasing is we got the clean sheet!

Overall a fantastic month which I was not expecting. A winover Chelsea was always going to be the highlight of the month. Then a minorblip against Jablonec which was looked over after wins over Wolves, Blackburnand eventually a thrashing for them at White Hart Lane! An unbeaten run we'll hope to keep next month. However, it will be tough with games against Liverpool, QPR and Aston. We will also find out our opponents in the Europa League Group Stage.

Last edited:
Thanks for following guys, sorry it took a while but had picture trouble :L

Is there any improvments to the layout/writting at all guys?

October

I was sitting in the cornerof a café in central London, sipping on coffee recalling what had been a goodfirst month. I realised how fortunate I had been to actually be here in chargeof Tottenham and having the time of my live. Jose once said to me “Managersalways get sacked, make the most of while you’re there.” I’m certainly takinghis advice and I’m in a very happy mood. The next month was tough but I knew wecould prevail. We just had to hope for a good run of results!

The lads were coming into their own and credithas to go to them with their performances in the past month. After all, theyare the ones on the pitch achieving the win I can only tell them the tacticsand try and motivate them.

Before the next fixtures, Iwas invited to Holland to attend the Europa League group stages. I sat downnervous about who was going to come out the draw. In the end we got Athletic,Zurich and S.V. Ried. I was pleased with the draw, no disrespect to the teamswe were up against but there were much stronger sides in the draw. The onlyreal worrie had to be Athletic with Fernando Llorente being their vocal point.But a happy man left Amsterdam with a decent draw the lads would relish.

Results:

Barclay’s Premier League:

Spurs 1Liverpool 2

Ledley King

My first competitive loss ofthe season, and a very disappointing one to. We were all over Liverpool muchthe better chances but nothing went our way. Then to lose it in the 90+4th​minute to Luis Suarez was just heart breaking. You could see it in the lad’sfaces that they were all disappointed to. I just told them to not beat themselvesup over it, these things happen in football.

Europa League Group Stage:

Spurs 3Athletic 4

Adebayor x2, Kranjcar

Another game which we couldof easily won. For a neutral it was an amazing game. However, for Spurs it wasvery disappointing. The defence was a shambles and they felt the full force ofwhat I had to say about it. The hair dryer treatment was needed to make themrealise what had happened. However, on the other end were the attackers,normally scoring 3 against a side would result in a win. However, this wasn’tthe case and we just have to keep battling on.

League Cup 3rd​Round:

Spurs 1 QPR 1(Spurs win 5-4 on penalties)

Adebayor

Domination evident to see, 60%possession and 26 shots for us. Yet, we could not get another past. Instead, ithad to go to penalties where eventually we won. It was good to get through tothe next round but we should have scored at least three.

Barclay’s Premier League:

Spurs 3 AstonVilla 1

Adebayor x2 Dawson

A match we were reallycomfortable in and never looked like losing. An assured performance from all thelads and apart from one lapse in concentration we looked the better side.

Europa League Group Stage:

Spurs 4 Zurich0

Adebayor x2, Lennon, Modric

Another assured performancefrom the lads. Zurich seemed a very weak team and we took advantage of. Anoverall team performance with a clean sheet and a good amount of goal!

A decent month for us with agood end to the month. Liverpool and Athletic were two very disappointing results.However, we got through to the 4th​ round of the league cup, lookedstrong in the league and still have a good amount of game in the Europa Leaguewhich I’m confident of getting through. Our next month looks quite straightforward with games against Stoke, S.V. Reid, Bristol City and Swansea. The onlytough game was that of Manchester United. Alex Ferguson has done such a greatjob there and it would be a very tough match!

Last edited:
Sorry for the lack of updates guys. I have been really busy in the past few days and went to the Forest match yesterday. Thanks for following!

If anyone could tell me how to put/move screenshots on here it would be appreciated. Photobucket seems to keep taking them down cheers!