Carine

Reaction score
I’m trying to emulate (as best I can) Tottenham’s tactics, and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice to improve what I’ve currently got.​

I’m actually working on two versions -- the first has Modric out wide and Bale either at LB or on the bench, whereas the second has Modric in the middle and Bale playing wide midfield.​

Anyway, I'd like to concentrate on the first one to begin with, which is set-up like this...​

I realise that some of the instructions probably aren’t correct, but this is what I’ve got them set at atm…​

Corluka = Full Back & Automatic
Bale = Full Back & Support
Bassong = Limited Defender & Defend.
Gallas = Central Defender & Defend.
Modric = .Inside Forward & Support
Palacios = Box to Box & Support
Hudd = Deep Lying Palymaker & Defend
Lennon = Wide Midfielder & Attack
Van der Vaart = Trequartista & Attack
Defoe = Poacher & Attack​

Team Instructions...

Results…

I’ve only played a few matches (6 or 7) and they have been against strong teams in the main (Chelsea, Atletico Madrid x 2 and the like). I’m getting a lot of possession and shots against weaker teams, but not doing so well against the big-guns.​

So, does anyone know how to improve this and / or any extra insight into whether this formation etc is actually correct in comparison to real life?​

P.S. I’m not looking for possible transfer suggestions -- just tactical advice.

Thanks in advance of any help :)

*****​

If I was you mate I'd make Lennon a winger and move him up to attacking midfield right. Then set Bale as a wing back Auto/Attack and Corluka full back support or defend to balance it out. Also set palacios as a ball winner defend because you have enough attacking threat in midfield with VDV, Lennon, Modric etc..

Also maybe start drilling crosses because Defoe is small but his movement is quality so hes more likely to get on the end of drilled crosses from Bale and Lennon...

With your defense I'd just set Bassong to Cover (because of his pace) and Gallas to Stopper (because of his bravery etc).

If you make these changes let me know how it goes :)

Cheers for advice Mally :) I'm going to implement them now and see how the results fair. I'll post back after a few matches. One thing I've noticed so far is that VDV doesn't seem to perform at all in the current formation -- his average rating is sub 6 :( I'll leave him for the time being and see if the above changes help him out. Thanks.

Cheers for advice Mally :) I'm going to implement them now and see how the results fair. I'll post back after a few matches. One thing I've noticed so far is that VDV doesn't seem to perform at all in the current formation -- his average rating is sub 6 :( I'll leave him for the time being and see if the above changes help him out. Thanks.

Set him to Advanced Playmaker maybe, I've never tried the terq whatever haha. Also for future reference players like Lennon arent really suited to the wide midfielder role, its more for players like Beckham who have a bit more technical and mental ability instead of just always trying to beat the full back and get to the byline etc. Speedy dangerous wingers like Lennon should be set to the winger role in my opinion.

Few little suggestions Carine :
1) Put Modric in Attack role not support - you already have Hudd defending and covering for any of his mistakes.
2) Lennon is a very fast player. He must always hug the line so change him into a winger attack or change his wide play to "hug the line"
3) If you have Defoe as your primary striker set your crossing to "drill crosses" and also reduce the crossing from your wide players.
4) I have found out that defending too much against the Big Guns gets you nowhere. I'd suggest leave your strategy to balanced and since you have defoe as poacher and lennon as winger try a default passing style and counter attack.
5) Setting Lennon a step forward (the same line as Modric and Der Vaart) looks better in the eye :)).
Hope that helps. Good luck

Few little suggestions Carine :
1) Put Modric in Attack role not support - you already have Hudd defending and covering for any of his mistakes.
2) Lennon is a very fast player. He must always hug the line so change him into a winger attack or change his wide play to "hug the line"
3) If you have Defoe as your primary striker set your crossing to "drill crosses" and also reduce the crossing from your wide players.
4) I have found out that defending too much against the Big Guns gets you nowhere. I'd suggest leave your strategy to balanced and since you have defoe as poacher and lennon as winger try a default passing style and counter attack.
5) Setting Lennon a step forward (the same line as Modric and Der Vaart) looks better in the eye :)).
Hope that helps. Good luck

Bit late mate I already said 80% of those things lol..

Cheers for help guys J

This is what I’ve done so far…

Lennon is now Attacking Midfield with Instructions set to Winger & Support.
Bale is Wing Back & Automatic.
Corluka is Full Back & Defend.
Palacios is Ball Winner & Defend.
Bassong is Limited Defender & Cover.
Gallas is Central Defender & Stopper.
Modric is Inside Forward & Attack.
Crosses set to drill.

Results:

Granted, these results aren’t against any of the big-guns, but performances have greatly improved. Tbh, I’m not too bothered with the score-lines atm, it’s the actual play of the team I’m interested in. VDV (no changes from original) has played much better and Defoe has started scoring. Huddlestone, Lennon and Modric are all performing better than before atm and the defence appears more solid (in terms of shots against.)

I’ll play about ten more matches and then post up again tomorrow with progress (I gotta go get some sleep soon lol.)

Thanks again :)

Last update for tonight :)

Results:

View attachment 109147View attachment 109148View attachment 109149View attachment 109150

Note -- I didn't have a full strength side out against Leeds.

Ledley King (back from injury) has replaced Bassong. I've kept his instructions the same.

VDV's form dropped again as soon as I played against stronger teams. I've changed him to Adavanced Playmaker & Attack, though he was injured against Twente so I'll have to wait and see if he fairs any better when he returns.

So far, the tactic seems to be working. Good possession, shots etc... but Gomes gets called upon a fair bit against stronger teams. I'll run for a few more matches and then have a look at the advanced player settings.

Thanks for help so far :) and any more tips will be appreciated :)

The best performances i've had out of VDV is in the AMC position and with a Attacking Midfielder role with Attack.

Modric and Lennon arn't really goal scorers, especially not compared to VDV with his finishing and long shots. Hence rather than having him look to pass from a playmaker role deeper for others to score with only 1 true goal scorer infront of him I look for him to play more advanced and to shoot. I also don't give him a Free Role to keep him central, Move Into Channels give him enough movement IMO.

I use Palacios as a Box-To-Box midfielder, whilst his shooting and such arn't really that of a box-to-box he is good at heading and jumping so useful to get in there with Lennon crossing.

Last edited:
OK, so here’s the club’s record since the tactic has been edited on the advice given by the guys above…

W14 - D6 - L1 - GF40 - GA18

The above record includes Euro & domestic cup games too.

As you can see, it’s been pretty impressive so far. Wins against City (Away) & United (Away), and a 1-1 draw at the Emirates have shown that the tactic works against top-end teams too. The only defeat so far came against Fulham away -- a game in which we missed a penalty and had a goal disallowed.

Possession, even against big teams (except Arsenal) has been in our favour, which was one of the main things I wanted to achieve with this tactic.

Defoe has 15 goals in 18 appearances so far, and Modric tops the assists with 8.

Sandro has covered both Palacios and Huddlestone (when injured/suspended) and seems able to play either CM role well.

I’m now trying VDV in the AM role with his instructions set to Attacking Midfield & Attack, as advised in post above this one :) At the moment, he’s the only player who doesn’t ‘fit in’ with the tactic so hopefully this will work.

***​

It's hard to say why he isn't performing for you without seing it. Does he get the ball much? Where does he get the ball? What does he do with it when he has it, give it away, pass it simple, shoot?

For me with the Free Role and single striker he was drifting to the wings which meant no real final ball option with only a single Striker in the middle. I treat him as the deep forward of the two rather than advanced midfielder, the more attacking of the two MC should find the space around VDV. Fiddle with his forward runs and run with ball, I can't remember which I modified, I think it was Mixed for RWB and Often for Forward Runs to try and get him into scoring positions.

A few screenshots of his match stats and passing analysis might help.

Preston85 -- I've implemented the changes you suggested in your first post and VDV has begun to perform much better. By the looks of it, either he doesn't fit the other two roles that well or the previous roles didn't suit the rest of the team. Thanks for your help :)