Icry

Reaction score
I am currently just over a year into a save with Southampton. I had been looking for a new challenge for a while now and knowing nothing about Southampton except they had a young side, I thought I would see if I could make Matt Le Tissier proud!

I will skip through the first season and then start posting regular updates for season 2 onwards.

Ambitions:

Well I don't know too much about Southampton really, apart from Rickie Lambert and Adam Lallana, Luke Shaw and Nathaniel Clyne. These 4 will be central to my plans in the first season and ideally for the long term vision of the club.
As the team has just been promoted twice, avoiding relegation will be the main plan. If we can make some good key signings then that means we could do better and push forward.

What Happened?!?!?!

A fantastic season clinging on to 7th place at the end after a tough run in. New signings certainly played their part too:

View attachment 333599

As you can see early on I got rid of a lot of fringe players and a couple of first team players. I didnt really have a clue who I was going to sign but my main transfer target was Danny Batth, CB at Wolves.

Asier Del Horno - brought in to act as cover in the eft back position behind Vegard Forren and Luke Shaw.
Danny Batth - my main transfer target and I was so pleased to sign him. On a previous save he became an England international in the 3rd season. A fantastic young centre back, wish I could get him to sign a 10 year contract!
Ben Amos - Backup keeper replacing Davis.
Simon Vukcevic - My 2nd free transfer and will add some cover to the midfield, particularly on the wing.
Scott Wootton - Another young centre back and DM, will get some game time this year against weaker teams.
Adam Le Fondre - I splashed out 5 million for Le Fondre plus small add ons. I felt that we needed more fire power up front as only had Lambert and Rodriguez. Hopefully he can help justify the price tag. He had a good season and banged in 185 goals in half the season!
Eggert Jonsson - The Iceland midfielder from Wolves is versatile as a right back, centre back and midfielder.
Sidney Sam - signed from Leverkusen for 5 million, hoped he could establish himself as our number 1 winger but it wasnt to be sadly.
David Ospina - 2.5 million for a goalkeeper who is recommended on here and has bags of potential, that'll do nicely.

So after a fantastic performance in the league, could we add anything more to this story in the domestic cups???

View attachment 333634

To win the FA Cup Final with a youthful team was remarkable, we needed replays over Notts Forest and Cardiff, a penalty shoot out against Stoke in the Semi Finals, and to beat Tottenham on penalties in the final was a fantastic moment.

Manager's Thoughts on the Season

Remarkable, there are a few areas which need improving but the back line has been great. The league performance was what it was all about but I kept playing a strong 11 and unbelievably we got the result. Gearing up to play in Europe will mean the squad needs to be strengthened.

I will do a more traditional format for season 2 with game by game commentary, stay tuned.