St Mirren's new style

bravo21

Reaction score
Not sure if anyone has watched us this season but what a difference there is in our squad! We've transformed to 'lump it up to Michael Higdon' to pass the ball through the whole team and it has ultimately got us good results so far.

To be honest, the football we have been subjected to in the last 10 years or so has not been worth the money but we all stick by our team. This season, we've got a group of players with genuine quality and players who absolutely love to play football. We have guys like Jeroen Tesselaar and Nigel Hasselbaink who have had a great football schooling at AZ Alkmaar and Ajax and you can see the quality shining through them. We've also signed guys like Gary Teale & Steven Thompson who have a good few Scotland caps each and their experience is there to see and will help our young players coming through like Kenny McLean (Scotland U21s), Jon McShane, Dominic Kennedy and Aaron Mooy (who has been scoring loads for Australia's Olympics qualifying team).

The point I'm trying to set out, though, is why don't other SPL teams do this? I watch teams like Aberdeen, Hearts, Dundee Utd etc. and they just seem to punt the ball up the field. The stuff we're seeing from St Mirren just now is all about getting the ball on the deck and pass from goalkeepers to strikers. We play an extremely attack minded 4-3-3 and can tear teams apart when we want to. We will shock a lot of teams this season with this style and I think if more teams tried it, it would benefit the SPL as a whole. Our attendances are steadily rising due to Danny Lennon's attack minded, passing philosophy and the club is benefiting financially and for fans like me, we absolutely love it!

I haven't seen this kind of football since John Hughes (I think?) very short stint of good football when they were challenging at the top of the table, played 3 strikers at Ibrox and Parkhead and enter matches with no fear.

So, SPL fans, why isn't your club trying this?!

You may be genuinely impressed at the moment by St Mirren's football, but the harsh reality is unless there is a genuine improvement in consistency from Mirren then you are in for a season of struggle, as per usual.

Don't get me wrong, I admire St Mirren a lot having won the SPL with them on FM so they are my favoured team in the SPL at the moment. Kilmarnock played excellent football under Paatelainen and Jefferies has been working wonders with Hearts. It's only been 2 games played so far so in a few months time we'll see how consistent St Mirren's style of play has been.

That's what we're working on and that's what Danny sets the players to do in every training session, be confident on the ball and (equally as important) off the ball. If you watch us in training or the actual games, you'll see we are in complete control of the match, the other team is not allowed to touch the ball and if they do, it's high pressure, high up the pitch. Every time we have the ball, we play the 'Barcelona triangle' and the guy in possesion always has 2 players to pass to, no need to go long.

Consistency won't be too much of a problem if we keep working on the philosophy every day, infact, it's only going to get better!!!

(Not that we're getting ahead of ourselves :p)

I agree that St Mirren are improving as a team and Nigel Hasselbaink does look very impressive, However your only 2 games in and you drew 0-0 with Newly promoted side when you dominated the game for you to say Ultimately got you good results so far... You have had 1 good result at the weekend there but to say your draw against dunfermline was good belwilders me due to the amount of times you had them under pressure and had a penalty missed. It's good to see teams passing the ball about and actually playing football as it is so much better to watch, It will be interesting to see the progression but I wouldn't jump the gun yet.

I agree that St Mirren are improving as a team and Nigel Hasselbaink does look very impressive, However your only 2 games in and you drew 0-0 with Newly promoted side when you dominated the game for you to say Ultimately got you good results so far... You have had 1 good result at the weekend there but to say your draw against dunfermline was good belwilders me due to the amount of times you had them under pressure and had a penalty missed. It's good to see teams passing the ball about and actually playing football as it is so much better to watch, It will be interesting to see the progression but I wouldn't jump the gun yet.

Yep, our fans, from the first pre season game were saying that it was surely too good to be true and will be interesting to see whether it works in the SPL. Obviously early doors yet but there would have to be several major faults in order for us to lose a game against teams outside the OF.

A real test comes next week at Tannadice, if we win there, I'll be extremely excited about the season coming. A season without relegation worries would be nice for us and it looks like it's going that way so far... and more :)

They are a team I do really like and Hope they do well, I am a rangers fan myself but St Mirrens a team I always like to do well since they're just down the road really. I would like to see them pushing up the table maybe a 7th or 8th place would seem possible if they play well. Not sure if they quite have what it takes to break that top 6 mark yet but you never know.

Hasselbaink looks really good. Obviously lacking in the air, but looks fantastic when the ball's on the ground.

When I watched St. Mirren last season they played some ok stuff. So far so good this year but you don’t really have the quality to challenge for the top 6. You have played newly promoted Dunfermlane and a very poor Aberdeen side. Let’s see how you do against a bigger side like Hearts or Dundee United.

Your criticism is very harsh in my opinion. St Johnstone played some great, fast paced on the deck passing against Rangers & Hearts are certainly not a lump it side. Sides like Motherwell & Killie all play decent football.

I can see why you are buzzing though, anything higher than 11th will be an improvement for you.

St Mirren need to work on their finishing. Missed too many chances against Dunfermline and Aberdeen and that can cost you dearly in games. Although Nigel scored that was one out of 4 very good chances imo.

When I watched St. Mirren last season they played some ok stuff. So far so good this year but you don’t really have the quality to challenge for the top 6. You have played newly promoted Dunfermlane and a very poor Aberdeen side. Let’s see how you do against a bigger side like Hearts or Dundee United.

Your criticism is very harsh in my opinion. St Johnstone played some great, fast paced on the deck passing against Rangers & Hearts are certainly not a lump it side. Sides like Motherwell & Killie all play decent football.

I can see why you are buzzing though, anything higher than 11th will be an improvement for you.

Rangers can do it without even trying due to the quality already in their squad, same with Celtic. To be honest, I wouldn't swap our new squad for anyone else's in the SPL outside the Old Firm. Danny has gambled big time in creating a tiny squad with good quality rather than a quite big team of cloggers like Hearts & a few others have got. Every SPL club outside the Old Firm are small clubs and have similar quality.

Who dares, wins :D

Rangers can do it without even trying due to the quality already in their squad, same with Celtic. To be honest, I wouldn't swap our new squad for anyone else's in the SPL outside the Old Firm. Danny has gambled big time in creating a tiny squad with good quality rather than a quite big team of cloggers like Hearts & a few others have got. Every SPL club outside the Old Firm are small clubs and have similar quality.

Who dares, wins :D

Hearts actually have a rather minute squad size. As do most SPL sides (except Celtic)

I’d much rather have quality players that will have us challenging up the top half than guff like Nigel Hasselbaink or the ageing Gary Teale. To suggest you wouldn’t swap your squad after one victory & a draw is just silly. It’s like a Getafe fan saying they wouldn’t want Ronaldo or Ozil because they supposedly don’t play as good football as Getafe.

I'm Afraid I agree with Kris on this one, It's definately an improved St Mirren squad but think you are over reacting, After all your strike force isn't doing a good job at the moment. As I stated before, How many chances have you had and only 1 goal to show for it... Think you need to come back down to earth and wait till at least 7 or 8 games before you make any big judgements on the squad.

Hearts actually have a rather minute squad size. As do most SPL sides (except Celtic)

I’d much rather have quality players that will have us challenging up the top half than guff like Nigel Hasselbaink or the ageing Gary Teale. To suggest you wouldn’t swap your squad after one victory & a draw is just silly. It’s like a Getafe fan saying they wouldn’t want Ronaldo or Ozil because they supposedly don’t play as good football as Getafe.

I like Gary Teale and he'd do a good job for anyone outside the OF. Hasselbaink is a very good player and is certainly not guff... and don't Hearts actually have the biggest squad outside the Old Firm?

Plus what are your views on the Craig Thomson situation? I'd be absolutely outraged if our chairman stuck by a player and sent him to one of his other clubs.

I'm Afraid I agree with Kris on this one, It's definately an improved St Mirren squad but think you are over reacting, After all your strike force isn't doing a good job at the moment. As I stated before, How many chances have you had and only 1 goal to show for it... Think you need to come back down to earth and wait till at least 7 or 8 games before you make any big judgements on the squad.
I know a good team when I see one. Time will tell but I have reason to be excited in this minute in time.

I like Gary Teale and he'd do a good job for anyone outside the OF. Hasselbaink is a very good player and is certainly not guff... and don't Hearts actually have the biggest squad outside the Old Firm?

Plus what are your views on the Craig Thomson situation? I'd be absolutely outraged if our chairman stuck by a player and sent him to one of his other clubs.

It is out of order what Romanov is doing but the main thing is he isn't involved in the scottish game or with Hearts, People will need to realise this isn't hearts fault they're owner is a ****. In my view anyone who is charged with Rape or put on the *** offenders register shouldn't be allowed to play football again. Romanov obviously is different from me but hearts fans have no reason to be ashamed as they made sure he didn't play for their club and i'm pretty sure they don't care about Kaunas.

I know a good team when I see one. Time will tell but I have reason to be excited in this minute in time.

I'm sorry I never knew you were an expert ?, A good team doesn't draw 0-0 with a newly promoted team. A good team doesn't only beat a very poor Aberdeen side only 1-0. You have no reason to be excited at this moment because the season is only 2 games in and you believe that a 0-0 against dunfermline is acceptable I'm Afraid a team that doesn't want to fight for relegation this result is NOT acceptable, Granted the football you play looks good but that doesn't win you games.

If I was to make as rash a decision as you are making with Rangers them i'd be really worried because based on the first two games Rangers will be fighting to be in the top 6 and not for the title, But afterall it is only 2 games into the season and the teams don't usually shape and the league takes place around 10 games into the season.

As you said time will tell and I'm not saying St Mirren won't do well but you can't tell based on two games anything could happen.

I'm sorry I never knew you were an expert ?, A good team doesn't draw 0-0 with a newly promoted team. A good team doesn't only beat a very poor Aberdeen side only 1-0. You have no reason to be excited at this moment because the season is only 2 games in and you believe that a 0-0 against dunfermline is acceptable I'm Afraid a team that doesn't want to fight for relegation this result is NOT acceptable, Granted the football you play looks good but that doesn't win you games.
Oh, ok I will not be excited about my club anymore and return to the doom and gloom that surrounds Scottish football just now. Listen, I have had a season ticket at SMP since I was 5 years old & followed them home and away ever since. Since then, I have watched some real dross coming through with the odd shining light like Charlie Adam, Kirk Broadfoot, Simon Lappin, Stephen McGinn and Andy Dorman. Something that gloryhunters like you will not witness and comprehend how bad some of our teams were. Just now, we have a good team, for our standards. I don't care how bad it is compared to Rangers or Celtic and you do not have a right to judge us on having a poor squad seeing as you support Rangers.

So, I'd suggest you put your keyboard down and let a wee club like St Mirren enjoy their best team in years and good spell of football because we all know it isn't going to last for us. Not too many good things happen at St Mirren and for that reason, we'll enjoy it as long as it lasts.

---------- Post added at 04:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:24 PM ----------

And I wasn't asking for your view on Romanov, Rangers fans quite blatantly have no shame in their views towards paedophile situations with the treatment they give to the late Jock Stein even to this day.

---------- Post added at 04:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:28 PM ----------

LOL you really are a complete and utter moron.

How can you call me a glory hunter ?, You do not know me and just because I support a successful club I'm a glory hunter lol. Wisen up and stop being so childish. I've supported Rangers through thick and thin including the Paul Le guen era when we were doing horrible - I support Rangers when Celtic win the league - Therefore I am not a gloryhunter.

You act as if no dross comes through the ranks at Rangers Or Celtic, Infact due to Rangers top class training facility we should be producing outstanding players every season yet it's only been the past few years great players have actually came through.

You only read what you want to read about point's and take nothing into account.

You have stated boldly in your Immature and retarded reply that I have no right to judge you on having a poor squad - Where once did I mention anything about a poor squad ? and because I support Rangers, You have judged me without knowing me by calling me a glory hunter. I clearly stated St Mirren have played good football in the games but I also said that doesn't win you games which is a fact! your getting excited about Avoiding relegation based on your team playing "Good Football" If in 10 games time St Mirren are still pulling off results then yes you would have a reason to be Excited but not after only 2 games played.

And Whether or not you wanted my view on it I gave it anyway, Plus the fact you should have been staying on topic as this thread is not about hearts. But once again you have judged me because I'm a Rangers fan when I have clearly said Romanov is in the wrong. You are very narrow minded.

OH NOES! A terrible team under Le Guen, Rangers were only in the top three that year, lets jump on the internet to vent our frustration after sitting in my armchair watching the money come rolling in from Sky. That in itself is gloryhunting. You get upset when your team isn't winning the SPL. I am always content supporting St Mirren. I've been to Dundee, Brechin, Aberdeen and the like in Baltic conditions late at night to watch my team get humped 4-0 or to find out the game has been called off. I'd do it again and again and again. We're fine watching that but we absolutely love it when we score a goal or even win a match. We don't win a lot of games and I'm delighted with the way we've started and no Rangers fan is going to make us think otherwise.

Beaten, the defenceless bigot resorted to personal insults.

Something that gloryhunters like you will not witness and comprehend how bad some of our teams were.
- Please explain how I am a gloryhunter ? I support a Club near to me in which My family supported and have been brought up as a Rangers fan and support Rangers, Win Lose or Draw. You only support St Mirren because you were obviously brought up to support St Mirren. And I don't care how long you've had a season ticket for either.

I don't care how bad it is compared to Rangers or Celtic and you do not have a right to judge us on having a poor squad seeing as you support Rangers.
- Please point out where I was said St Mirren have a poor squad ? You are a very small minded person which you have proven throughout your rant based on what club I support - Don't make a thread about your club if you can't handle criticism and the truth because this is a forum and you discuss your opinions. I simply stated a fact that It's only two games into the season and your getting carried away - which is the truth whether you like it or not. And that St Mirren need to improve things like Finishing to be more successful, If you don't like it the **** off and delete your thread.

So, I'd suggest you put your keyboard down and let a wee club like St Mirren enjoy their best team in years and good spell of football because we all know it isn't going to last for us. Not too many good things happen at St Mirren and for that reason, we'll enjoy it as long as it lasts.
- Put my keyboard down lol Grow up mate. And Tbh I did say I liked St Mirren and always hoped for them to do well but tbh because the way you act I hope they do poorly and get Relegated just so you have to eat your own words because you have acted like a right arsehole.

And I wasn't asking for your view on Romanov, Rangers fans quite blatantly have no shame in their views towards paedophile situations with the treatment they give to the late Jock Stein even to this day.
- Again you have judged me based on which team I support. My view was fair and true again and if you don't want opinions then don't post. Are you saying if thompson was still at hearts and playing against St Mirren you wouldn't Boo/Heckle him ? You probably would so get of your high horse

---------- Post added at 05:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:01 PM ----------

OH NOES! A terrible team under Le Guen, Rangers were only in the top three that year, lets jump on the internet to vent our frustration after sitting in my armchair watching the money come rolling in from Sky. That in itself is gloryhunting. You get upset when your team isn't winning the SPL. I am always content supporting St Mirren. I've been to Dundee, Brechin, Aberdeen and the like in Baltic conditions late at night to watch my team get humped 4-0 or to find out the game has been called off. I'd do it again and again and again. We're fine watching that but we absolutely love it when we score a goal or even win a match. We don't win a lot of games and I'm delighted with the way we've started and no Rangers fan is going to make us think otherwise.

Beaten, the defenceless bigot resorted to personal insults.

Money rolling in from the sky ? Have you actually any clue about Scottish Football or Rangers ? Money Rolling in lol for years we have had no money and under the threat of Administration and Bankruptcy.

Gloryhunter is someone who supports a team who is winning and if another team began winning then would jump sides and support that team. I support Rangers no matter what, I can't help my team is successful.

And Bigot ? Please explain that one.

- Please explain how I am a gloryhunter ? I support a Club near to me in which My family supported and have been brought up as a Rangers fan and support Rangers, Win Lose or Draw. You only support St Mirren because you were obviously brought up to support St Mirren. And I don't care how long you've had a season ticket for either.

- Please point out where I was said St Mirren have a poor squad ? You are a very small minded person which you have proven throughout your rant based on what club I support - Don't make a thread about your club if you can't handle criticism and the truth because this is a forum and you discuss your opinions. I simply stated a fact that It's only two games into the season and your getting carried away - which is the truth whether you like it or not. And that St Mirren need to improve things like Finishing to be more successful, If you don't like it the **** off and delete your thread.

- Put my keyboard down lol Grow up mate. And Tbh I did say I liked St Mirren and always hoped for them to do well but tbh because the way you act I hope they do poorly and get Relegated just so you have to eat your own words because you have acted like a right arsehole.

- Again you have judged me based on which team I support. My view was fair and true again and if you don't want opinions then don't post. Are you saying if thompson was still at hearts and playing against St Mirren you wouldn't Boo/Heckle him ? You probably would so get of your high horse

So, you go against the general consensus of the Rangers support? Are you in the very small minority of the Rangers support and a good person? Judging by your attitude, anger and consistent hard man act, and failure to convey your points by nit-picking at nothing from mine, you aren't. I couldn't care less if you want us relegated or you actually like us. How about helping me get this back on topic and discuss what was discussed on the first page? Can you do that? Or are you going to continue throwing the toys out the pram and pretending Rangers are a nice football club?

So, you go against the general consensus of the Rangers support? Are you in the very small minority of the Rangers support and a good person? Judging by your attitude, anger and consistent hard man act, and failure to convey your points by nit-picking at nothing from mine, you aren't. I couldn't care less if you want us relegated or you actually like us. How about helping me get this back on topic and discuss what was discussed on the first page? Can you do that? Or are you going to continue throwing the toys out the pram and pretending Rangers are a nice football club?

When have I acted like a hard man ? Have I threatened you ? You are a judgemental person who took the thread off topic due to which club I support.

Failure to convey my points ? And you have no points really. -

You stated the style of football played was good - I agreed but said it won't win you games (example: Falkirk)
I claimed it was too early to get too excited as it's only two games in. - You told me I can't judge how "poor" your team are because I support Rangers. Great point there eh ?
You are making this thread about Rangers not me - I only provided a point of getting excited two games into the season was wrong which you also dismissed because of who I support.

Discussing what's on the first page was what I was doing until you began telling me I was wrong to judge because of What team I support when my points are the same as others Eg: Ravenie mentioned about the finishing would need to be improved.

I also made a point about the draw against Dunfermline being unacceptable. Do you think a draw against a Newly Promoted side after the amount of chances you great is a great or acceptable result ? Take into account the fact that your hoping your team will be very safe from relegation this season.

Must admit I haven't watched St Mirren this season, but I don't need to have watched them to know that you can't judge a side after so few games!

I admire your optimism though :)