St Mirren's new style

Must admit I haven't watched St Mirren this season, but I don't need to have watched them to know that you can't judge a side after so few games!

I admire your optimism though :)

As I said it's early doors but we're enjoying the optimism at St Mirren right now. No debt, fans takeover and some nice early signs on the pitch with a very talented young manager. The fans don't see this much so we get very excited :p

Even this kind of thing coming out of the press is much better to the stuff we usually get written about us :)

Saints flying high but boss is grounded - Evening Times | Sport | Editor's Picks

Bravo you are defiantly jumping the gun.
I think yous will do better than usual, maybe 9th.

Not hard to do better than 11th.

Err... yes it is.

Danny Lennon inherited a group of old journeymen with the mindset of 'avoid relegation', this was the reason Gus was sacked, for lacking ambition. When Dan was appointed, he was tasked with changing the mentality at the club to a winning one. It's taken a season of transition but it's paying off for us. Transforming a dull club into a more positive one is not easy to do.

---------- Post added at 09:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 PM ----------

Also, great game yesterday. Matched Dundee Utd at Tannadice in every department with 10 men. Had them on the ropes when we still had 11 but wee Nigel got a harsh red and that cost us big time.

A draw at Tannadice with 10 men is another great result for us. Bring on Motherwell next week :)

---------- Post added at 09:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 PM ----------

Bravo you are defiantly jumping the gun.
I think yous will do better than usual, maybe 9th.
That's your opinion mate, but as I said, I think we'll be round about 6th this season, at least.

Last edited:
That's your opinion mate, but as I said, I think we'll be round about 6th this season, at least.

Seriously think that 6th is a bit high of your ambitions. You think St Mirren over the full course of a season are good enough to match, Hearts, Hibs, Dundee Utd, Aberdeen (who looked good against Celtic), Motherwell ? I personally doubt it and think 7th is maybe a bit more realistic but I'd look more along the lines of 8th.

St Mirren have no chance of 6th. They've had a good start but it will die out, and by December I'm thinking they'll be in the thick of a relegation dogfight. Realism > Optimism.

Seriously think that 6th is a bit high of your ambitions. You think St Mirren over the full course of a season are good enough to match, Hearts, Hibs, Dundee Utd, Aberdeen (who looked good against Celtic), Motherwell ? I personally doubt it and think 7th is maybe a bit more realistic but I'd look more along the lines of 8th.
Yes, and of the teams you've mentioned, we've done well against them so far, beat Aberdeen extremely comfortably for a 1-0 and matched Dundee Utd 1-1 with 10 men away from home.

Either way, I'll keep this bumped and make all you anti football enthusiasts look silly at the end of the season :)

Yes, and of the teams you've mentioned, we've done well against them so far, beat Aberdeen extremely comfortably for a 1-0 and matched Dundee Utd 1-1 with 10 men away from home.

Either way, I'll keep this bumped and make all you anti football enthusiasts look silly at the end of the season :)

Listen to it. Honestly away and join the Pie & Bovril forum with the rest of the diluded mases from Paisley. St Mirren fans don't half talk ****

Utd had you on the ropes and if the game had of went on for another 10minutes you would have been mince.
You have played 3 games and gotten 5 points thats not spectacular, especially considering you have played the recently promoted team. (and failed to get 3points from them.)
You players are not good enough to play "barca" style football consistently and pick up results. Your squad really lakes decent depth and you will struggle when the fixtures build up.
I want St. Mirren to do well as they have a few ex. Celts and a good young manager in Danny Lennon but your arrogance is really turning me off them.

Listen to it. Honestly away and join the Pie & Bovril forum with the rest of the diluded mases from Paisley. St Mirren fans don't half talk ****
I'm already on P&B, and so are you.

What am I 'talking ****' about? I'm merely making a very bold prediction that St Mirren will finish in a higher league and raising the question of whether more SPL clubs should try out a better standard of football, although obviously you and the rest of the SPL bar Motherwell & Dundee Utd do not embrace change which is one of the main reason Scottish football is in this state.

---------- Post added at 06:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:57 PM ----------

Utd had you on the ropes and if the game had of went on for another 10minutes you would have been mince.
You have played 3 games and gotten 5 points thats not spectacular, especially considering you have played the recently promoted team. (and failed to get 3points from them.)
You players are not good enough to play "barca" style football consistently and pick up results. Your squad really lakes decent depth and you will struggle when the fixtures build up.
I want St. Mirren to do well as they have a few ex. Celts and a good young manager in Danny Lennon but your arrogance is really turning me off them.
  • Fair point but we had a harsh early red card but dominated them until deep into the second half, extremely unfortunate not to get another goal or two. We defended deep for the last 20 because we couldn't handle go forward with 10 and leaving an extremely impressive Scott Allan with time and pace. (OT note, this guy is class and can't see him being an SPL player for long)
  • Yes they are, not nearly as good as Barcelona but we have some good passers which allows us to use the Barcelona model in the SPL.
  • Apologies if it's coming off as arrogance but I'm arguing my point that more teams should try this style of play. Gowser is doing a terrific job at central midfield and we know for a fact that Carey is class but he's came back to us really fat but he's managed to shift a few pounds. Terrific wee player, I can see us getting money for them and apparently Celtic will be entitled to 75% of that!

I'm already on P&B, and so are you.

What am I 'talking ****' about? I'm merely making a very bold prediction that St Mirren will finish in a higher league and raising the question of whether more SPL clubs should try out a better standard of football, although obviously you and the rest of the SPL bar Motherwell & Dundee Utd do not embrace change which is one of the main reason Scottish football is in this state.

---------- Post added at 06:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:57 PM ----------

• Fair point but we had a harsh early red card but dominated them until deep into the second half, extremely unfortunate not to get another goal or two. We defended deep for the last 20 because we couldn't handle go forward with 10 and leaving an extremely impressive Scott Allan with time and pace. (OT note, this guy is class and can't see him being an SPL player for long)
  • Yes they are, not nearly as good as Barcelona but we have some good passers which allows us to use the Barcelona model in the SPL.
  • Apologies if it's coming off as arrogance but I'm arguing my point that more teams should try this style of play. Gowser is doing a terrific job at central midfield and we know for a fact that Carey is class but he's came back to us really fat but he's managed to shift a few pounds. Terrific wee player, I can see us getting money for them and apparently Celtic will be entitled to 75% of that!

P&B is full of moronic & simple minded fools who want nothing more than to troll or spout the same **** over and over again. Better off on here pal, we debate but we can accept when we are wrong, well most of us...infact, never mind ;)

You are coming across all high and mighty though & I think you are very wrong about 'everyone else' playing poor football. Celtic (and this pains me to say it considering how much I hate Neil Lennon) play great football at times. I watched Kilmarnock Vrs Motherwell and although it was a 0-0 it was very entertaining. Kilmarnock played some great football under Mixu & it's continuing with Shiels.

Hearts style of play under JJ might have been boring to some but it was **** effective before Kyle got injured. I enjoyed watching us last year, we knocked it about a fair bit and just because we played with a target man, doesn't mean it's boring. It was always 4-3-3 regardless of who we played. We had the likes of Driver,Templeton and Skacel to provide the fair.

St Mirren are playing decent football but it's only good until the final third then you seem to falter. Hamilton played that way too and look where they are now and look at Arsenal for all their good football.

Sometimes being direct is a good thing.

St Mirren are playing decent football but it's only good until the final third then you seem to falter. Hamilton played that way too and look where they are now.
Sometimes being direct is a good thing.
Time will tell whether it will pay off for us for as long as a season but early signs are extremely good. I think Hamilton flattered to deceive big time, every third or fourth match they'd play some good stuff but they often used a 3-5-2 which I don't think is ideal for a passing game. We used it under Gus and some of the stuff was horrid! Maybe I'm warming to our new style of play due to almost 10 years of uber-defensive stuff.

I agree that Motherwell are playing some good stuff and Kilmarnock were a revelation last season with their passing game and we seem to be doing the same. In the final third, I'd agree that we aren't clinical enough. Unfortunately, Hasselbaink isn't the most intelligent player when making decisions and Danny has highlighted this, if someone is in a better goalscoring position, pass and don't shoot is something he must learn and it has cost us a few potential goals already but big Thompson seems to know what he's doing.

On target men, I think that losing Higdon was a blessing in disguise, yes we've lost a 15 goal a season striker but we are now reluctant to send high balls up the park :)

1-0 victory is hardly comfortably, Look at the Community shield match, Man Utd were comfortably in control of the game and lost two goals at the blink of an eye. Games can be won and lost in a split second so 1-0 is not a comfortable result regardless of you dominating the game or not. And it's early on in the season teams are finding there feet, St Mirren have been lucky enough to strike it off straight away but the team is far from comfortable when it comes to winning games. 2 goals in 3 games and how many shots or chances ?

You need to remember that the nice football doesn't win you games. Yes I agree a lot more teams should try it, but that's the younger generation in football hence why Danny Lennon is trying to bring it into the game. I coach a kids football team and I try to do the same but sometimes it just doesn't work and you need to play the long ball. End of the day a goal is a goal, whether its a 2 yard tap in a 40 yard screamer or a 40 pass move it still counts for one thing. The only difference being is it's more memorable.

I'm not saying you won't finish there I just personally think at this moment in time your getting ahead of yourself and setting yourself up for a very big fall. You say you will make us look silly at the end of the season but what happens if you finish 8th or below ? Are you still going to come on here and admit you were wrong or are you going to defend your arguement ? As it has been mentioned look at where Hamilton and Arsenal and even Blackpool are now ? teams that try/do play nice football doesn't always get you 3 points and that is all everyone is saying were not saying Bla bla St Mirren are S***, but were being realistic as outsiders rather than you been biased based on 3 games.

I'm not saying you won't finish there I just personally think at this moment in time your getting ahead of yourself and setting yourself up for a very big fall. You say you will make us look silly at the end of the season but what happens if you finish 8th or below ?
I'd be ******* delighted if we finished around 8th while watching an attack minded style of football, I predict a little higher ie 'top of the bottom 6' but 8th would be fantastic. Even 11th will do as long as we finish low with dignity. I'd only be upset about this season if we get relegated which I don't think will happen.

As Aldo said, very few 1-0 victories could be described as comfortable, especially not the Dons game. Also, Dundee Utd are slightly over-rated imo.

Please tell me the last bit is a joke, because being skeptical of the announcement that St Mirren will finish sixth because they played decent football for the first 3 games is not 'anti-football enthusiasm'.

As Aldo said, very few 1-0 victories could be described as comfortable, especially not the Dons game. Also, Dundee Utd are slightly over-rated imo.
Did you watch our game against Aberdeen? As we have highlighted, clincal finishing in the final third is, without doubt, our biggest problem but once we scored against Aberdeen, we always knew the win was in the bag, Aberdeen couldn't get anywhere near us! It's the most comfortable 1-0 win I have ever been to/watched.

I didn't say we will finish 6th but I feel that we will be thereabouts this season. Anything above 11th would be relatively successful for us but I believe that we will finish a little higher and that our shape will get us better results than it did last season. We don't have a clogged squad like Celtic etc. but have a tight, good spirited group with a good youth setup to fall back on if injuries occur. That's one of Rangers main reasons of success under Walter Smith.

Did you watch our game against Aberdeen? As we have highlighted, clincal finishing in the final third is, without doubt, our biggest problem but once we scored against Aberdeen, we always knew the win was in the bag, Aberdeen couldn't get anywhere near us! It's the most comfortable 1-0 win I have ever been to/watched.

I didn't say we will finish 6th but I feel that we will be thereabouts this season. Anything above 11th would be relatively successful for us but I believe that we will finish a little higher and that our shape will get us better results than it did last season. We don't have a clogged squad like Celtic etc. but have a tight, good spirited group with a good youth setup to fall back on if injuries occur. That's one of Rangers main reasons of success under Walter Smith.

When you go into more depth about some of your points and so on the I begin to understand where your coming from and can take your point's on board. I really do think your setting your ambitions too highly but I do think St Mirren have the quality to finish higher than 11th anyway but some way of a top 6 squad as of yet because consistancy and tiredness have to be taken into account throughout the full season.

I did, and granted, it was a great performance from St Mirren, but I think you've over-stated the dominance slightly.

Also, I think you're getting too far ahead of yourself. You've only played two or three games, and suddenly the nearly-relegated St Mirren will finish 6th, there or thereabouts. Just remember, Blackpool were near the top of the EPL after three games last year.

When you go into more depth about some of your points and so on the I begin to understand where your coming from and can take your point's on board. I really do think your setting your ambitions too highly but I do think St Mirren have the quality to finish higher than 11th anyway but some way of a top 6 squad as of yet because consistancy and tiredness have to be taken into account throughout the full season.
We'll wait and see but all Saints fans are enjoying this season so far (I think it's our best start ever to an SPL season). There's a rumour doing the rounds that Darren McGregor is out for 9 months, really hope that isn't true as he's a terrific player for us...