St Mirren's new style

Two wins in 6 isn't terrific to me...
Well.. it is to the 'relegation candidates', we obviously going to win the league, 2 in 6 is good for us but not for gloryhunters we are sitting in 5th playing quality football and I said at the start of the season, we won't be relegated or finish 11th as many predicted, we'll be higher, I'd be delighted with 8th but I can see us finishing in the top 6.

Yes there does seem to be something different about st mirren this season having seen a few games i think they are playing better football and surely will avoid the drop

Cheeky bump in as we near the midway point. If Rangers won today, we would've went 4th but I'm not complaining. 5th is good for 'diddies' like us.

Danny Lennon will sign a new contract next week too. Happy days, beautiful football. Highest league placeing/unbeaten run in 30 years (?). Results on the park, young players coming through, zero debt and the club being handed over to the fans :)

Bumpy time again.

Great to see St Mirren's footballing philosophy shining through again, we're back into that top 6 berth. 'Relegation fodder'? I don't think so.

Very sweet to defeat the 'Champions Elect' today, and it was nice watching thugs McCulloch and Jelavic getting thrown about the park by David Barron and Marc McAusalnd.

Bumpy time again.

Great to see St Mirren's footballing philosophy shining through again, we're back into that top 6 berth. 'Relegation fodder'? I don't think so.

Very sweet to defeat the 'Champions Elect' today, and it was nice watching thugs McCulloch and Jelavic getting thrown about the park by David Barron and Marc McAusalnd.

I'd hardly call it beautiful football. Better than hump it and lump it sure, I'll give you that. Very impressive win though.

I can see what he is trying to do though. Keny Shiels deserves praise too, Killie play decent football.

No doubt St Mirren tore us apart today, they played some pretty nice football and deserved the win, helped a lot though by McCulloch's red card, that created a lot more space for the players to get into, against 11 men the game would have been more difficult, nonetheless, a cracking win for you guys, which creates a pretty nice scenario going into the old firm game.

Well played St. Mirren. Seems like a few people, myself included, will be eating there words. I thought now was around the time you would begin to fall.

Rangers have been shocking for a while now and really struggle when teams try to play football against them. Great to see Elbows sent off, he is a thug and is laughable that Ally is considering appealing that decision. He tried to hit him twice with his elbow. Obviously pay back for Careys foul earlier. Saying that I hope they win the appeal as he is a terrible player.

Just noticed this thread, but as a Kilmarnock supporter it may sound biased, but it's my honest opinion. St Mirren and Killie play the most attractive football in the SPL (possibly could say Celtic aswell). Sure, we're not the best in the league but if your wanna go to a game to watch decent football, then a st mirren/killie game is where I would suggest or even better Killie vs St mirren!

But yeah, probs did sound biased - but just my opinion.

Well played St. Mirren. Seems like a few people, myself included, will be eating there words. I thought now was around the time you would begin to fall.

Rangers have been shocking for a while now and really struggle when teams try to play football against them. Great to see Elbows sent off, he is a thug and is laughable that Ally is considering appealing that decision. He tried to hit him twice with his elbow. Obviously pay back for Careys foul earlier. Saying that I hope they win the appeal as he is a terrible player.
It's quite ironic that it was Rangers fans who were upset by my points, the narrow minded ones, the ones not open to change and positive thinking, the ones who catch the highlights now and again but have never actually been to a game and claim to have some form of footballing knowledge. The knowledge that 'St Mirren are **** Rangers are good' type. The boy Kris isn't too bright either and probably belongs to either side of the Old Firm.

It makes me happy that we've seriously swayed the title race now and knocked these guys off their perch, I felt some sort of satisfaction that it was Carey and McGowan that played the key roles in Rangers' downfall yesterday.

Just noticed this thread, but as a Kilmarnock supporter it may sound biased, but it's my honest opinion. St Mirren and Killie play the most attractive football in the SPL (possibly could say Celtic aswell). Sure, we're not the best in the league but if your wanna go to a game to watch decent football, then a st mirren/killie game is where I would suggest or even better Killie vs St mirren!

But yeah, probs did sound biased - but just my opinion.
Completely agree. I've watched both sides lots of times this season, Shiels and Lennon know the way forward. I like Motherwell's style too, complete focus on attack and dribbling, less passing but still good to watch players like Nicky Law running rings around players.

I think Killie are in for a great season too, if they beat Ayr in the cup then there could be a trophy in the bag! And it would be completely deserved based on the football they're playing (H)

It's quite ironic that it was Rangers fans who were upset by my points, the narrow minded ones, the ones not open to change and positive thinking, the ones who catch the highlights now and again but have never actually been to a game and claim to have some form of footballing knowledge. The knowledge that 'St Mirren are **** Rangers are good' type. The boy Kris isn't too bright either and probably belongs to either side of the Old Firm.

It makes me happy that we've seriously swayed the title race now and knocked these guys off their perch, I felt some sort of satisfaction that it was Carey and McGowan that played the key roles in Rangers' downfall yesterday.

As a kilmarnock fan to a st mirren fan, something I just noticed! Rangers as both lost to us this season, 1-0 at rugby park then 2-1 at your ground. It seems attractive football is there weakness, i could have told you that years ago and which is why I always hate Rangers. They may win the league, but to watch them play, is horrible.

Completely agree. I've watched both sides lots of times this season, Shiels and Lennon know the way forward. I like Motherwell's style too, complete focus on attack and dribbling, less passing but still good to watch players like Nicky Law running rings around players.

I think Killie are in for a great season too, if they beat Ayr in the cup then there could be a trophy in the bag! And it would be completely deserved based on the football they're playing (H)

Yeah mate totally! Ayrshire derby at hampden! Cant wait mate, got my ticket! Wont be another derby between us both which will mean so much! Would love to see Falkirk beat Celtic aswell, gives us real chance of silverware, but if not then we will just take down celtic, eh? ;)

I agree that Killie are a good footballing side also. Shame Shiels is a complete **** though, good manager, but a ****.

In terms of entertaining football tough, I feel we are still head and shoulders above the rest of the league, but that is to be expected when you compare the players we can attract with the players Killie/St. Mirren can.

That boy Kris? How polite! Although, I wouldn't expect anything else from someone from Paisley.

Enlighten me as to why I am 'not so bright' Because I disagree with your opinion?

I'm actually a Hearts supporter by the way. Nice narrow minded view about people supporting the old firm. ****** me off when fans of small clubs get all high and mighty over this ****.

I agree that Killie are a good footballing side also. Shame Shiels is a complete **** though, good manager, but a ****.

In terms of entertaining football tough, I feel we are still head and shoulders above the rest of the league, but that is to be expected when you compare the players we can attract with the players Killie/St. Mirren can.

Celtic? Entertaining? Are you having a laugh? Aside from Forrest (AKA No neck) Who is a real talent, you play very boring football that very strongly resembles Neil Lennon as a player

square pass
square pass
square pass
square pass

Celtic? Entertaining? Are you having a laugh? Aside from Forrest (AKA No neck) Who is a real talent, you play very boring football that very strongly resembles Neil Lennon as a player

square pass
square pass
square pass
square pass

We have scored the most goals in the league (nearly twice as many as Hearts XD ) yet we only play square passes?

Its hard to do anything other than square pass when Hearts put 10 men behind the ball all game. It took a wonder strike from our then center half (who was just outside your box, when it wasnt even a corner) to get by a team that had no intention of trying to take anything more than a point. Yet you are laughing at us not being entertaining?

If you have watched Celtic at all over the last two months (not including against Hearts as that was a poor game where only one team intended to play football) you would have also mentioned Samaras a entertaining player. He picks the ball up and drives at the opposition every time. As you didnt mention him, im assuming you dont watch us at? (which is fair enough)

It is harder for us to play good football as teams usually try to park the bus against us, yet we still ball football considerably better than Hearts, etc. and imo we play the best football in the league. The standard of our football is only going to improve as well with one of the most exciting full backs in Europe on his way back.

Celtic's football is not entertaining. Also teams have every right to park the bus against Celtic, upto Celtic to have the guile to break them down. But their overall pattern of football isnt great, and often isnt clever enough, Forrest excepted

Celtic's football is not entertaining. Also teams have every right to park the bus against Celtic, upto Celtic to have the guile to break them down. But their overall pattern of football isnt great, and often isnt clever enough, Forrest excepted
Mike when do you watch Celtic? :p

I didnt say they dont have the right to park the bus against us, I just said it makes it harder for us to play nice football. You both strike me as people just posting opinions without actually watching Celtic play. Forrest isnt an overly clever footballer, he is more about his direct running and pace. Our cleverest footballer would be Hooper or Ledley by miles.

What is this boring pattern? Kris is convince we just play square passes, but a quick look at the stats would show we are the most attacking team in the league.

We have scored the most goals in the league (nearly twice as many as Hearts XD ) yet we only play square passes?

Its hard to do anything other than square pass when Hearts put 10 men behind the ball all game. It took a wonder strike from our then center half (who was just outside your box, when it wasnt even a corner) to get by a team that had no intention of trying to take anything more than a point. Yet you are laughing at us not being entertaining?

If you have watched Celtic at all over the last two months (not including against Hearts as that was a poor game where only one team intended to play football) you would have also mentioned Samaras a entertaining player. He picks the ball up and drives at the opposition every time. As you didnt mention him, im assuming you dont watch us at? (which is fair enough)

It is harder for us to play good football as teams usually try to park the bus against us, yet we still ball football considerably better than Hearts, etc. and imo we play the best football in the league. The standard of our football is only going to improve as well with one of the most exciting full backs in Europe on his way back.

Sorry but at what point did I claim Hearts played good football? In fact what relevance do Hearts have to this discussion? Nothing. My argument is that Celtic do not play attractive football. it has absolutely nothing to do with Hearts. What a very childish response. 'Better than Hearts'

I'd be a very brave man to try argue anything in our favour at the moment. #firesale

You have scored more goals than anyone but stats like that are deceptive. Motherwell have only scored 7 goals at home this season, Kilmarnock and Hearts have 18, yet Motherwell are 6 clear of us and have a game in hand. This over zealous Neanderthal from Paisley keeps talking about great football, yet they have only scored 11 goals at home and have conceded 10. So can we write off this St Mirren attractive football based on these stats?

Attractive football doesn't guarantee success. Look at Roma, try to play pretty football, yet they struggle. I think Celtic can have moments of magic but can struggle in the final third because (and I don't mean to repeat myself) you do play a lot of square passes. Look at the game at Tynecastle, you dominated possession, yet couldn't do anything in the final third and got caught out.

Another example would be St Johnstone at home.

Ah, how could I forget Sameras, one week you all love him the next he is ****. it's always been that way with Celtic fans with him. Won't be long before you all go back to hating the guy. He is playing well at the moment, I'll give you that.

Now that I remember, In the game against Inverness, all Celtic did was lump the ball up to Sameras. In what way is that attractive football?

I would expect nothing less from Celtic than to keep the ball better than Hearts etc. You are a much bigger club with much bigger budgets.

I apologise for the boring comment, it was a rash statement and said out of anger/hunger :( Celtic are not boring but your style isn't what I'd call attractive football. In terms of quality of the league and what we see week in week out, it is one of the best. Pity our league is terrible.

Last edited:
Mike when do you watch Celtic? :p

I didnt say they dont have the right to park the bus against us, I just said it makes it harder for us to play nice football. You both strike me as people just posting opinions without actually watching Celtic play. Forrest isnt an overly clever footballer, he is more about his direct running and pace. Our cleverest footballer would be Hooper or Ledley by miles.

What is this boring pattern? Kris is convince we just play square passes, but a quick look at the stats would show we are the most attacking team in the league.

Forrest has very good timing with his movement. Find it funny you say we dont watch them because we disagree with you. Being attacking =/= good style of football. Its still not a great style of football. The fact that you find it harder means you havent enough to play through these teams, being one of the better teams you should expect this and have the players and style for this already, which im not convinced you do