St Mirren's new style

Sorry but at what point did I claim Hearts played good football? In fact what relevance do Hearts have to this discussion? Nothing. My argument is that Celtic do not play attractive football. it has absolutely nothing to do with Hearts. What a very childish response. 'Better than Hearts'

I'd be a very brave man to try argue anything in our favour at the moment. #firesale

You have scored more goals than anyone but stats like that are deceptive. Motherwell have only scored 7 goals at home this season, Kilmarnock and Hearts have 18, yet Motherwell are 6 clear of us and have a game in hand. This over zealous Neanderthal from Paisley keeps talking about great football, yet they have only scored 11 goals at home and have conceded 10. So can we write off this St Mirren attractive football based on these stats?

Attractive football doesn't guarantee success. Look at Roma, try to play pretty football, yet they struggle. I think Celtic can have moments of magic but can struggle in the final third because (and I don't mean to repeat myself) you do play a lot of square passes. Look at the game at Tynecastle, you dominated possession, yet couldn't do anything in the final third and got caught out.

Another example would be St Johnstone at home.

Ah, how could I forget Sameras, one week you all love him the next he is ****. it's always been that way with Celtic fans with him. Won't be long before you all go back to hating the guy. He is playing well at the moment, I'll give you that.

Now that I remember, In the game against Inverness, all Celtic did was lump the ball up to Sameras. In what way is that attractive football?

I would expect nothing less from Celtic than to keep the ball better than Hearts etc. You are a much bigger club with much bigger budgets.

I'm not saying Celtic are boring but your style isn't what I'd call attractive football. In terms of quality of the league and what we see week in week out, it is one of the best. Pity our league is terrible.

Said it better than i could.

Seriously..Rangers fans have the cheek to tell any team there not entertaining? HA! Yer teams probs got the most least attractive/entertaining football in the league. Defend, Defend, Defend, hi ball! or Defend, Defend, Defend counter! ******* disgrace to call you champions. That's why us (killie) and also st mirren have beaten you this season! Proper football and you'se have had it! I've actually seen Celtic play (When the come to rugby park) way over ten times, ive been a season ticket holder at Kilmarnock, and WHEN THEY WANT TO, celtic can play amazing football, and sure you could call it best in the league, but i've gotta admit there not ALWAYS like it. But for Rangers fans to say to another team there footballs not entertaining/not attractive is just sour grapes, because Rangers play the worse in the SPL and its finally catching up! 12 points last month, to 1 point now? Tell me theres not something wrong with how you'se play?

Ofcourse compared to other leagues, all our football is terrible. But we're talking in the SPL!

Last edited:
Seriously..Rangers fans have the cheek to tell any team there not entertaining? HA! Yer teams probs got the most least attractive/entertaining football in the league. Defend, Defend, Defend, hi ball! or Defend, Defend, Defend counter! ******* disgrace to call you champions. That's why us (killie) and also st mirren have beaten you this season! Proper football and you'se have had it! I've actually seen Celtic play (When the come to rugby park) way over ten times, ive been a season ticket holder at Kilmarnock, and WHEN THEY WANT TO, celtic can play amazing football, and sure you could call it best in the league, but i've gotta admit there not ALWAYS like it. But for Rangers fans to say to another team there footballs not entertaining/not attractive is just sour grapes, because Rangers play the worse in the SPL and its finally catching up! 12 points last month, to 1 point now? Tell me theres not something wrong with how you'se play?

Ofcourse compared to other leagues, all our football is terrible. But we're talking in the SPL!

get a grip, stop being a troll. neither of us are rangers fans.

Sorry but at what point did I claim Hearts played good football? In fact what relevance do Hearts have to this discussion? Nothing. My argument is that Celtic do not play attractive football. it has absolutely nothing to do with Hearts. What a very childish response. 'Better than Hearts'

I'd be a very brave man to try argue anything in our favour at the moment. #firesale

I just though it funny that you laughed at our style of football when compared to yous we are Barcaesque.

You have scored more goals than anyone but stats like that are deceptive. Motherwell have only scored 7 goals at home this season, Kilmarnock and Hearts have 18, yet Motherwell are 6 clear of us and have a game in hand. This over zealous Neanderthal from Paisley keeps talking about great football, yet they have only scored 11 goals at home and have conceded 10. So can we write off this St Mirren attractive football based on these stats?
Obviously goals are not the be all and end all of attractive football but they are a factor in it. 9 times out of 10 people will prefer to watch a 4-0 win than a 1-0 win.
Any reason for the home goals only be counted?

Attractive football doesn't guarantee success. Look at Roma, try to play pretty football, yet they struggle. I think Celtic can have moments of magic but can struggle in the final third because (and I don't mean to repeat myself) you do play a lot of square passes. Look at the game at Tynecastle, you dominated possession, yet couldn't do anything in the final third and got caught out.

Another example would be St Johnstone at home.

Thats my point about it being harder for us. Other teams sit back against us so it is harder in the final 3rd to get an opening.

Ah, how could I forget Sameras, one week you all love him the next he is ****. it's always been that way with Celtic fans with him. Won't be long before you all go back to hating the guy. He is playing well at the moment, I'll give you that.

Now that I remember, In the game against Inverness, all Celtic did was lump the ball up to Sameras. In what way is that attractive football?

He is inconsistent but over the last two months he has been our most exciting player. He probably will be pish again this time next week but I expect that now. He is consistently inconsistent.

I would expect nothing less from Celtic than to keep the ball better than Hearts etc. You are a much bigger club with much bigger budgets.

I'm not saying Celtic are boring but your style isn't what I'd call attractive football. In terms of quality of the league and what we see week in week out, it is one of the best. Pity our league is terrible.

I never suggested we play like Barca etc. I said we are the most exciting in the league and you agree that we are one of the most exciting.

Forrest has very good timing with his movement. Find it funny you say we dont watch them because we disagree with you.
I asked when did you watch the SPL as I dont know how you get the time to watch football from every league. I very much doubt you watch Celtic even 3 times a year.

Being attacking =/= good style of football. Its still not a great style of football. The fact that you find it harder means you havent enough to play through these teams, being one of the better teams you should expect this and have the players and style for this already, which im not convinced you do
As I said to Kris, 9 times out of 10 people will prefer to watch a 4-0 win than a 1-0 win. It isnt the be all and end all but it is a factor of exciting football.

We find it harder because teams defend more against us. How does that effect our ability? We do by and large find away through. When teams defend against United, Chelsea, City etc. they usually get a goal or two past the defending team but sometimes struggle, does that mean their style and players are not good enough?

I just though it funny that you laughed at our style of football when compared to yous we are Barcaesque.

Obviously goals are not the be all and end all of attractive football but they are a factor in it. 9 times out of 10 people will prefer to watch a 4-0 win than a 1-0 win.

Thats my point about it being harder for us. Other teams sit back against us so it is harder in the final 3rd to get an opening.

He is inconsistent but over the last two months he has been our most exciting player. He probably will be pish again this time next week but I expect that now. He is consistently inconsistent.

I never suggested we play like Barca etc. I said we are the most exciting in the league and you agree that we are one of the most exciting.

I asked when did you watch the SPL as I dont know how you get the time to watch football from every league. I very much doubt you watch Celtic even 3 times a year.

As I said to Kris, 9 times out of 10 people will prefer to watch a 4-0 win than a 1-0 win. It isnt the be all and end all but it is a factor of exciting football.

We find it harder because teams defend more against us. How does that effect our ability? We do by and large find away through. When teams defend against United, Chelsea, City etc. they usually get a goal or two past the defending team but sometimes struggle, does that mean their style and players are not good enough?

You'd be wrong then, since ive seen them 4 times already this season. I dont always choose to watch United or even the premier league when football is on, i do my best to catch as much football from different sides as possible. Should bear that in mind before you dismiss my view because i dont agree with you. You play better than most in the league, but as Kris has already said, thats not really saying much

Goals dont always make the game, ive seen some cracking 1-0 games and some average 3-0 wins.

Last edited:
How the **** am I breing a troll?! Sorry for assuming you where rangers fans, but any ******* scottish person reading this would think the exact same. And my point is that Rangers, have the least attractive footballn in the league? How's that being a troll? It's true!

Im a Killie fan, even the st mirren fan agrees and the celtic (yet that may be obvious xD!). I've seen rangers play, there boring too watch, sure they get results! But this is about style of football, and by style of football rangers is far the worst to watch.

FACT!

How the **** am I breing a troll?! Sorry for assuming you where rangers fans, but any ******* scottish person reading this would think the exact same. And my point is that Rangers, have the least attractive footballn in the league? How's that being a troll? It's true!

Im a Killie fan, even the st mirren fan agrees and the celtic (yet that may be obvious xD!). I've seen rangers play, there boring too watch, sure they get results! But this is about style of football, and by style of football rangers is far the worst to watch.

FACT!

You're a troll for ranting at rangers, despite this not having anything to with rangers, claiming your opinions of rangers as fact (you should look up the definition of fact), and for dimissing someones opinion because you (wrongly) assume they are a rangers fan.

FACT!

I dont think anyone is disputing that Rangers football is the dogs bollocks mate.

You can check what teams people support by hovering over the shirts beside their names.

Mike I never said we where very exciting in the grand scale of things (altough Udi are meant to be a exciting side and we where better than them over two game) I was arguing that we are the most exciting in the SPL.

I dont think anyone is disputing that Rangers football is the dogs bollocks mate.

You can check what teams people support by hovering over the shirts beside their names.

Mike I never said we where very exciting in the grand scale of things (altough Udi are meant to be a exciting side and we where better than them over two game) I was arguing that we are the most exciting in the SPL.

thats fair enough Shay, i was talking in the general scheme of this, not just the SPL. Given the kind of football Celtic used to play in the days of Larsson, i guess i just expect more from the club

When you look at the players we could get then and the players we can get now their is little/no chance of that happening any time soon. Back then we could tempt people like Chris Sutton to leave good Premiership teams. Now we struggle to attract championship players. Izzy and Fraser Forster would be the only players from our current side that would have a chance of playing with Larsson and co.

Last edited:

Not really. I was just making a few examples.

But that was my point from before, just because you are winning comfortably doesn't mean you are playing attractive football. Man Utd win fairly comfortably most weeks but I don't consider their football attractive either.

The lad who started this thread is fuzzing over his sides attractive football and they have only scored 20 goals all season.

We have won our last two games 4-0 and 2-0, both fairly easily and nobody talks up the way we play. (rightly so)

I don't think I will change your opinion, you are entitled to it. It's hard to look at it objectively when you are winning games, I respect that and I can see where you are coming from in your points. I still have loads of counter points but we have gone waaayy off topic here. If you want to talk more about it send me a VM or a PM.

Last edited:
Sorry for assuming you where rangers fans, but any ******* scottish person reading this would think the exact same.

FACT!

What a moronic statement. You think we are Rangers fans simply because we are debating with Shay? What kind of moronic logic is that?

Oh and nobody is talking about Rangers, why would you bring Rangers into it? Because you are trying to bait what you assumed was Rangers fans (aka trolling)

What a moronic statement. You think we are Rangers fans simply because we are debating with Shay? What kind of moronic logic is that? Oh and nobody is talking about Rangers, why would you bring Rangers into it? Because you are trying to bait what you assumed was Rangers fans (aka trolling)

Because previously it was about Rangers, and when I saw you'se arguing back with shay (celtic fan) i automatically assumed you was Rangers fans, but I was wrong obviously, not that I was far from being right, because Hearts fans may aswell just be rangers fans with some of the way your fans act etc.

But yeah, I was wrong fair enough! Buut i've gotta ask you then, in the SPL who plays the most attractive football if you disagree it's Celtic? Because in my opinion the top three are Celtic, St Mirren, Killie (no order)

As a St Mirren fan I would agree that we have been on fine form this season. However McAusland is still a liability at the back and we still need to find a decent right back as Van Zanten hasnt been able to cut it this season. For those who say we will struggle...Its midway through the season and we are in a tidy 7th place, and a great deal away from the relegation zone!

SMTID

As a St Mirren fan I would agree that we have been on fine form this season. However McAusland is still a liability at the back and we still need to find a decent right back as Van Zanten hasnt been able to cut it this season. For those who say we will struggle...Its midway through the season and we are in a tidy 7th place, and a great deal away from the relegation zone!

SMTID
Give big Cheesy a bit of time. I think his confidence is slowly building up and he's starting to put in some really good performances. Darren McGregor is also back soon 8)

We're doing brilliantly and I wouldn't want to get rid of any of our players although I'd like to see a new striker coming in. I saw Farid El Alagui after the Dundee Utd game there. Danny is also keeping tabs on John Baird at Raith Rovers.

Watch this space!

Just you lot keep your grubby mits off Farid El Alagui :p

Can't say I've seen many games in Scotland, but from what you were like before DL came in, it is a massive improvement, and I hope you continue this and challenge for 3rd/4th soon.

I just hope as a St Johnstone fan - who play decent football - that other teams will stop employing dinosaurs and get the younger, progressive coaches (like Danny Lennon) in to produce attrative playing teams and put bums on seats whilst giving the younger players a chance.
Entertaining product - bums on seats. Youths in 1st team - More bums on seats. More bums on seats - better finances. Young players getting sold - better finances to invest in the youths again.
In summary, guys like Danny Lennon effect the future of Scottish Football more than dinosaurs like Craig Brown and the other 'safety first' coaches (and i use 'coach' very loosely).
Thanks St Mirren for punting Gus McPherson and ridding yourselves of the 'playing football gets you relegated' mentality.

Grievzie, a little like Steven "Elvis" Pressley @ Falkirk, with the youth team etc?

Really need to go and watch St. Mirren one day soon..

they're getting results while playing good football, second best team to watch in scotland