Stan the Man! Kroenke's Gunner Glory

• Thread starter Thread starter Danneskjold
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 55
  • Views Views 8K
Ragnar Danneskjold, manager only. Listed in the conversation by "Me:"

I'll go "Name (Job):" for the first reference to other staff/characters in conversations before using just "First Name:" for the rest of the post.

I couldn't be the Chairman. Too much temptation to spend everything for the trophy. Also a strong chance I'd throw my toys out of the pram if I didn't win. I have to keep my job if I want to "play" with Arsenal.

No editor use after the initial database setup. FMRTE crashes my computer. No restarts to affect a result. It isn't any fun if you know how it will turn out. I've been told to win by the digital Mr. Kroenke when I honestly believe that third place is realistic. I didn't expect that when I set up the database and started this game. Called Kroenke's virtual doppelganger a few choice names. That's what makes it fun.

Competition for third will be tough. I am making up my own tactics and Chelsea, Tottenham and Liverpool are right there with us talent wise. No real idea what the good tactics are. I refuse to look at the Tactics area of this forum. I've been away from the game for a while. Previously addicted to CM 03/04 so my past tactics do me no good. I'm just wondering where my FR and FL positions went.

I really think I'm going to get sacked in the first or second season. If that happens I might just have to work back to the Premier League to twist the revenge knife.

The Gaitan injury same day with an Argentina friendly loss was just one of those crazy coincidences.

Now, back into character...

€hampion$ League: It’$ not about the trophy…

The draw. Other than penalty kicks, I don’t know if there is anything more nerve wracking. At least with penalties there is an element of skill.

If this were the FA Cup I wouldn’t be as nervous. Why? It all comes down to the money. The fans want the trophy. Don’t get me wrong, I want the trophies as badly as anyone, but I know that all the desire in the world won’t win the Premier League for Norwich or the Champions League for Shamrock. The desire has to be preceded by the proper expenditure of money to purchase talent or potential.

Short of Uncle Stanley cracking open his vault again, the Champions League represents the easiest way to earn some cash to continue building this team. We have to make the Group Stage and progress to the Knockout Rounds.

First out of the bowl…

Rubin (Russia)…

Benefica…

Bayern…

FC Vaslui (Romania)…

Arsenal…

Rubin would play… Lyon {OK}

Benefica gets… Udinese {whew}

Bayern versus… OB (Denmark) {darn}

Vaslui against… Villarreal {another whew}

Standard Liege from Belgium would be our opponent. A good draw. Nothing is guaranteed but we have an excellent chance of coasting through this pairing.

We’ll try to put it away at the Emirates on August 17th​ so that the return leg is a non-issue.

…and if anyone ever tries to tell you it’s not about the money, don’t trust them with your wallet or your team.

Ready... Switch!

Here is a rundown of a few major transfers that have taken place prior to the season. Any minor transfers I will address when we play each team.

Chelsea has signed Labyad Zakaria (MC, PSV, £2.8M). A very offensive minded central midfielder.

Everton snapped up Jaroslav Plasil (MC, Bordeaux, £5.75M) and Landon Donovan (ST, Los Angeles, £6.75M) with the money we sent them for Leighton Baines. They did lose Marouane Fellaini to Arsene Wenger’s project (PSG, £16.5M).

Man City purchased Darijo Srna (DR, Shakhtar, £15.75M), Robert Green (GK, West Ham, £6M) and Ricardo Quaresma (AML, Besiktas, £8.5M).

Tottenham acquired Kader Mangane (DC, Stade Rennais, £9.75M) and Liam Ridgewell (DL, Birmingham, £6.75M) while offloading Giovani dos Santos (Bayern, £2.9M) and Younes Kaboul (Napoli, £4.8M).

Two players who we had considered moved:

Jan Vertonghen (DC) from Ajax to Napoli for £8.75M. A bargain.

Milan Badelj (MC) from Dinamo (Croatia) to Athletico Madrid for £4.1M. Jack Collison edge him in our evaluation.

Out of curiosity I glanced at PSG’s list to see what Arsene was doing with his buckets of money.

Andrey Arshavin (AM, Arsenal, £10M)
Mohamed Diame (MC, Wigan, £4.2M)
Douglas Costa (AM, Shakhtar, £11.5M)
Marat Izmailov (MR, Sporting, £13.75M)
Alberto Gilardino (ST, Fiorentina, £13M)
Marouane Fellaini (DM, Everton, £16.5M)
Alexander Anyukov (DR, Zenit, £10.25M)
Gustavo Colman (MC, Trabzonspor, £8M)

I guess Arsene got tired of running out of midfielders here. And I thought my squad was getting big.

With almost three weeks to go until the transfer window slams shut there should be more action to come.

And so it begins...

13 August 2011 - St. James’ Park, Newcastle (Breezy, 14°)

These are the moments you dream about. My first EPL match.

If that wasn’t enough, when we had visited here in February our 4-0 lead became a 4-4 draw. We had fallen apart after Phil Dowd sent off Abou Diaby early in the second half. The referee today? Phil Dowd.

Our season had collapsed after this result with only 4 wins from our last 13 matches.

Newcastle

GK: Steve Harper
DR: Mikael Lustig (from Rosenborg, £1M)
DCR: Steven Taylor
DCL: Mike Williamson
DL: Olexiy Gai (from Shakhtar, £1.6M)
DMCR: Yohan Cabaye
DMCL: Cheik Tiote
AMR: El-Hadji Diouf (free)
AMC: Bressan (from BATE, £1.2M)
AML: Jonas Gutierrez
ST: Peter Lovenkrands

Subs: Tim Krul, Dan Gossling, Silvain Marveaux, Leon Best, Davide Santon, Gabriel Obertan, Andreas Bjelland (from FC Nordsjælland, £1.2M)

Arsenal

GK: Wojciech Szczesny
DR: Bacary Sagna
DCR: Johan Djourou
DCL: Thomas Vermaelen
DL: Leighton Baines
MCR: Javi Martinez
MCL: Fernandinho
AMR: Ivelin Popov
AML: Pavel Niakhaichyk
STR: Theo Walcott
STL: Edinson Cavani

Subs: Lukasz Fabianski, Kieran Gibbs, Laurent Koscielny, Alex Song, Jack Collison, Carlos Vela, Morouane Chamakh

7’ (Newcastle 0 – 1 Arsenal) – Cabaye tackles the ball from Pavel Niakhaichyk to set up a corner. Niakhaichyk’s corner drops in for Thomas Vermaelen to head home. First goal of the season to our captain.

22’ (Newcastle 1 – 1 Arsenal) – Djourou shoves Williamson in the box while defending a corner. Phil Dowd points to the spot. Cabaye confidently puts the ball left of Wojciech Szczesny to level.

24’ (Newcastle 1 – 2 Arsenal) – Just seconds after the restart Walcott skips past Williamson. As the keeper comes out to challenge, Theo confidently squares to Edinson Cavani who taps home.

25’ – Cabaye lofts the ball in and Gutierrez dives to meet it. Szczesny makes a very nice save.

31’ – Ivelin Popov plays Walcott into the box free of defenders. Theo’s drive is parried by Harper. Cabaye hoofs it clear.

41’ (Newcastle 1 – 3 Arsenal) – Fernandinho lofts the ball in front of a charging Niakhaichyk in the box. Lustig hooks him down. Dowd points to the spot. Fernandinho slams the ball low into the left corner. No chance for the keeper.

44’ (Newcastle 1 – 4 Arsenal) – Walcott cuts into the area from the right and slots the ball home through a gap.

This was an easy half-time speech.

Me: “Gentlemen. Well done. Last time many of you sat in this dressing room at half you were up by four. Finish this!”

55’ (Newcastle 1 – 5 Arsenal) – Popov races down the right and drives a cross through on the fly. Walcott meets the ball with a spectacular diving header into the near corner.

62’ (Newcastle 1 – 6 Arsenal) – Olexiy Gai telegraphs a back pass. Cavani charges onto the ball before Harper can reach it and hammers it home. Horrible error.

The game wound down with only three frustration yellow cards by the Newcastle players to note. We had dominated play with 56% possession and 9 of 16 shots on target. Szczesny produced 5 saves and clearly denied Gutierrez a goal. Our runners, Popov, Niakhaichyk and Walcott, were spectacular.

[My season plan had this game as a draw. We were +2 on our goal of 79 points and top of the league!]

On to the Champions League.

Last edited:
Cruisin'

17 August 2011 – Emirates (strong wind, 9°)

We had drawn well with Standard for our Champions League qualifier. The fans were in good voice anticipating an easy win. If we are to meet Mr. Kroenke’s expectations, we couldn’t let them down.

Arsenal

GK: Szczesny
DR: Sagna
DCR: Koscielny
DCL: Vermaelen
DL: Baines
DMC: Song
DMCR: Martinez
DMCL: Fernandinho
AMR: Walcott
AML: Niakhaichyk
ST: Cavani

Subs: Fabianski, Vrsaljko, Otamendi, Collison, Popov, Vela Chamakh

Standard

GK: Petit
DR: Goreux
DCR: Kanu
DCC: Fatallah
DCL: Fellipe
DL: Jelle van Damme
MCR: Urrutia
MCC: Seijas
MCL: Sanchez
STR: Nong
STL: Leye

Subs: Franzen, Dibi, Vainqueur, Berrier, Gohi Bi, Belhozine, Buzagio

Standard’s choice of a 5-3-2 was surprising. It was too narrow and if they attempted to play at all, our width and speed would rip them apart. Their only hope in this formation was packing the box and praying for a lucky result.

Me: “This is for the Group Stages, boys. There is no reason we shouldn’t dominate this match.”

2’ – Fernandinho tackled the ball from Urrutia cleanly. Urrutia landed awkwardly and would need to come off. A bad break for Standard to lose their best midfielder. Vainqueur on to replace him.

38’ – A long swerving shot by Fernandinho saved by Petit.

We produced multiple chances in the first half, but most were thwarted by the strong wind and the forest of bodies in the box. If we continued to dominate like this the result would surely come. Standard had showed no intention of playing football thus far.

46’ – Belhocine on for Nong as Standard seek a change.

57’ (Arsenal 1 – 0 Standard) – Finally a breakthrough. Walcott draws attention but drops a pass to Fernandinho centered just outside the box. The Brazilian make no error as he drives the ball high into the right corner with Petit rooted.

58’ – Gohi Bi on for Seijas.

68’ – Sanchez tackles the ball from Javi Martinez but it goes straight to Cavani who fires across Petit into the net. We celebrate but the flag is up. If that was offsides it was only marginally so.

74’ (Arsenal 2 – 0 Standard) – Niakhaichyk’s corner from the left finds Fernandinho on the right side of the six yard box. A superb volley from the former Shakhtar man doubles our lead and his tally.

82’ – Gohi Bi takes the ball on the break and runs 75 yards down the left. He slices into our box and lifts the ball over Szczesny but over the net. A nice individual effort.

82’ – Popov and Vrsaljko replace Niakhaichyk and Sagna.

84’ (Arsenal 3 – 0 Standard) – A Walcott cross to nobody is poorly controlled by Fatallah, dribbling toward Petit. The keeper pushes it away and scrambles for the ball but Cavani gets there first, driving the ball narrowly between Petit and the right hand post.

88’ (Arsenal 4 – 0 Standard) – Fernandinho lofts a corner in from the right. Van Damme abandons the near post and is out jumped by Vermaelen. With the keeper too far back it’s an easy goal.

89’ – Vela on for Walcott.

Time called with Arsenal holding a commanding lead going into the second leg.

As predicted, Walcott and Niakhaichyk dominated on the wings with 18 runs between them. We only got 6 of 20 shots on target but it was enough. Fernandinho was simply spectacular.

On A Bender

Our efforts to account for the injured Aaron Ramsey in midfield might just pay off. Juventus lodged a £1m loan bid for Denilson with £3m to make it permanent. Porto took this and popped in with an offer of £1.5m for a loan and a price of £4.5m down the road. This was more than I expected and we quickly agreed. Juventus matched Porto but Denilson preferred to do interviews in his native language and was on his way to wear the Azuis e Brancos.

Of note, Porto had indicated they were looking for another striker during our negotiations. This was an ambitious team. They had money to spend. We had added to that with our purchase of Otamendi. Hmm….

First things first. I wanted a player who could play both DM and MC to back up Javi Martinez if Alex Song went out. We could afford several class players, but Lars Bender of Leverkusen would come to Arsenal for £5.25m. This was less than we expected to realize from the Denilson deal and far cheaper than the alternatives. Bender, while not a finisher, was solid across the board, very physical and would eventually battle with Jack Collison and Ramsey for starting time.

I had noticed Bender on our transfer board during the summer. For the life of me I don’t know why he didn’t rate as high as Collison and Milan Badelj when we first looked.

I also decided to send Kyle Bartley, Carl Jenkinson and Damian Martinez out to our new affiliate Southampton for the season. These players need experience if they are to compete for slots as Gunners in the next few years.

My appetite was whetted. I enjoy the transfer game. I gathered the scouting staff and sent them off in search of a striker. I wouldn’t need a Nicklas Bendtner with two Nicolas’ (Gaitan and Otamendi) and a Bender (Lars) already on the roster. Bendtner was already starting to make noise about playing time just two matches in. Do I really need to hold on to the best striker in the world when he’s my fifth option at the position? I called Vitor Pereira, Porto’s manager.

Me: “Vitor? I think I have another player for you to look at.”

Last edited:
Villains!

20 August – 2011 Emirates (Dry, 17°)

Our home opener on a nice evening in London. Our goal of Champions League football is all but assured. We had avenged the draw that derailed our previous season. Spirits are high as we look to remain top of the league.

Arsenal
GK – Szczesny
DR – Vrsaljko
DCR – Koscielny
DCL – Vermaelen ©
DL – Baines
DMC – Song
MCR – Collison
MCL – Martinez
AMR – Popov
AML – Niakhaichyk
ST – Cavani

Subs – Fabianski, Sagna, Otamendi, Fernandinho, Walcott, Vela, Chamakh

Aston Villa
GK – Given
DR – Beye
DCR – Dunne
DCL – Clark
DL – Warnock
MCR – Petrov
MCL – Jenas
AMR – N’Zogbia
AMC – Ireland
ARL – Spas Delev (CSKA Sofia, £1.5m)
ST – Bent

Subs – Guzan, Williams, Lowry, Delph, Albrighton, Heskey, Adrian Aldrete (Morelia, £2m)

Too painful to go into much detail on this match.

3’ – Javi Martinez plays Cavani into the box. Cavani smashes it off the woodwork and the ball in scrambled clear.

7’ (Arsenal 0 – 1 Aston Villa) – Bent’s shot is saved by Szczesny. Song’s clearance picked up by Petrov who guides the ball to N’Zogbia. N’Zogbia cuts inside Baines and puts the ball to the left of Szczesny and into the net. Against the run of play would be an understatement.

18’ – Baines cross finds Cavani free at the back post. Edinson Cavani’s header goes well over the goal with the net gaping.

40’ (Arsenal 1 – 1 Aston Villa) – Niakhaichyk’s corner from the left comes to Koscielny at the far post. The header takes a slight deflection off Ciaran Clark and rolls past Given into the net.

45’ – Heskey on for Delev.

61’ – Petrov trips up Popov and sees Yellow.

65’ – A Niakhaichyk free kick hits the crossbar and edges over with the keeper beaten.

65’ – Niakhaichyk catches a follow-on clearance after Collison is tackled and makes space. His shot goes agonizingly right of goal with Given again beaten.

71’ – Walcott and Fernandinho on for Collison and a tiring Niakhaichyk. Despite many chances we need to try to change the game up and find a winner.

78’ – Popov runs up on Beye and earns a Yellow Card.

78’ – Albrighton on for Bent.

81’ – Jenas trips up Cavani for a Yellow.

88’ – Sagna on for Vrsaljko.

90’ – Warnock trips Cavani and sees Yellow. Aldrete on for Warnock as Villa waste time.

We end knotted at 1’s after 35 shots with 11 on target and 14 blocked. Aston Villa had 5 shots with 2 on target. They pulled into a very effective shell after a fortunate early goal. Hats off to the Villains for a fine defensive effort.

“We couldn’t find the winner but that doesn’t mean we weren’t effective. Unlucky boys.”

We fall to 4th​ as City go top. We’ve got 4 points from our first two matches but we should have won this.

Despite staying on target for 79 pts I’m dissatisfied that we didn’t win to stay two points ahead of schedule.

Last edited:
Victory my Liege

23 August 2011 – Stade Maurice Dufrasne (Dry, 10°)

A comfortable night in Belgium and we start with a four goal lead. It would take the riot police breaking five players legs to bring Standard into the match. I decide to sit back in the 4-5-1 as the extra stiker shouldn’t be necessary.

Standard
GK – Petit
DR – Fathallah
DCR – Kanu
DCL – Filipe
DL – van Damme
MR – Berrier
MCR – Leye
MCL – Sanchez
ML – Seijas
STR – Nacho Gonzalez
STL – Nong

Subs – Franzen, Belhocine, Dibi, Buzaglo, Gohi Bi, Vainqueur, Goreux

Arsenal
GK – Szczesny
DR – Sagna
DCR – Koscielny
DCL – Vermaelen ©
DL – Gibbs
DMC – Song
MCR – Collison
MCL – Fernandinho
AMR – Walcott
AML – Popov
ST – Cavani

Subs – Fabianski, Vrsaljko, Otamendi, Martinez, Niakhaichyk, Gaitan, Chamakh

5’ – Fernandinho takes the ball on the bounce and powers it towards Petit. Good save.

10’ – Another effort from Fernandinho goes just over.

20’ (Standard 0 – 1 Arsenal (0 – 5)) – Collison slides a nice ball in front of a charging Cavani who slots home.

31’ – Szczesny’s goal kick finds Cavani just past the center circle. Two good touches put Cavani through on goal and Petit is fortunate to save.

39’ – (Standard 0 – 2 Arsenal (0 – 6)) - Gibbs curls a nice ball into the area. Jack Collison works free to head across Petit from right to left.

45’ – Belhocine and Gohi Bi on for Nacho and Nong. We replace a nicked Gibbs with Otamendi going into the middle and Vermaelen sliding out left.

49’ – Sagna twists his ankle but stays on. Seijas caused it with a legal tackle.

52’ – Popov thunders one at Petit who makes a good save.

59’ – Goreux replaces Filipe.

76’ – Cavani and Collison make way for Martinez and Chamakh.

80’ – Popov pick up a Yellow for a trip on Kanu.

84’ (Standard 0 – 3 Arsenal (0 – 7)) – Sagna puts a short pass into Walcott who one-times it into the near corner.

We punch our ticket into the Group Stage with an easy win. Bacary Sagna is out for about two weeks with a twisted ankle. Job well done and we await the draw.

**** Bendt for Somewhere

I had asked Vitor Pereira at Porto to make me an offer for Nicklas Bendtner and he didn’t disappoint. £14.5m would let me start to rebuild the transfer kitty and add a few pieces. It was more than twice what I expected.

My scouts had unearthed a solid 5th​ striker, Kolbeinn Sigþorsson from Ajax at £4.2m. A good all around player who was not too ambitious to take a largely bench role.

With money still burning a hole in my pocket I lodged a bid of £2.3m for Yann Sommer from Basel. This would give me another choice at keeper and pave the way to let Lukasz Fabianski to leave the club as I think he will become disgruntled sitting behind his younger countryman.

Sanchez Watt (Preston), James Shea (Brentford) and Craig Eastmond (Cardiff) also head out on loan.

With the window closing we have £16.88m sitting available for the winter window.

Not my Friend!

27 August 2011 – Reebok Stadium, Bolton (Dry, 11°)

A nice night in Bolton and a winnable game. Victory will keep us on target for 79 pts. I don’t want to pressure the lads by telling them this is a must, but it is. We can’t drop points like we did to a solid Aston Villa team at home last weekend.

The Wanderers are led by former Arsenal youngster Fabrice Muamba and rumored Gunner target Gary Cahill. I am surprised that Cahill is still at Bolton as many teams have shown interest in him this window.

I opt again for the 4-5-1 as it is working well. Nicolas Gaitan is given the night off.

Bolton
GK – Jaaskelainen
DR – Reo-Coker
DCR – Cahill
DCL – Wheater
DL – Robinson
MR – Sanli
MCR – Muamba
MCL – Holden
ML – Petrov
STR – Davies
STL – N’Gog

Subs – Bogdan, Oliver Kapo (free), Gardner, Ricketts, Klasnik, Eagles, Alonso

Arsenal
GK – Szczesny
DR – Vrsaljko
DCR – Koscielny
DCL – Vermaelen
DL – Baines
DMC – Song
MCR – Martinez
MCL – Fernandinho
AMR – Popov
AML – Gaitan
STC – Walcott

Subs – Fabianski, Djourou, Gibbs, Collison, Bender, Niakhaichyk, Chamakh

5’ – Koscielny’s clearance is intercepted by Muamba who almost makes us pay.

14’ – Holden takes down Popov with a clean challenge. Ivelin can’t continue with an injured knee. Niakhaichyk comes on to replace him.

25’ – Walcott takes a nice pass but his hurried shot goes left of goal.

45 + 1’ – Alex Song one-times to Walcott who can only fire into the side netting.

Nico Gaitan limps off the pitch at the whistle. He doesn’t want to come off but he’s lost too much speed to continue. I’m not going to risk him.

46’ – Chamakh come on for Gaitan with Niakhaichyk sliding to the middle in a 4-1-2-1-2. Kapo on for Sanli.

51’ – Ricketts on for Holden.

60’ – (Red Card – Szczesny) Outrage at the Reebok. The most ludicrous decision I’ve ever seen! Reo-Coker puts a long ball towards the box. Wojciech Szczesny picks it up three yards inside the area and the whistle blows. Arsenal players, looking for a foul, are stunned as Kevin Friend summons Szczesny and produces a Red Card. Handball. Terry McDermott and several players have to hold me back as I think I personally out yelled the entire stadium.

“Handball my @$$! Punch yourself in the face and card yourself for being an idiot! He’s in the box and he’s the @%(&$ keeper you moron!”

61’ – Fabianski on for Fernandinho as we go 4-2-1-2. Bolton add Eagles for N’Gog.

63’ (Bolton 0 – 1 Arsenal) – Javi Martinez strips Ricketts and weaves down the left. He twists into the box and leaves the ball for Chamakh who just edges a recovering Ricketts to poke into the left corner.

“That’s called justice you #&%$ brained mule! Your decision would get you beat senseless in a bar league you blind hack!”

66’ – Niakhaichyk almost doubles the lead but Cahill just clears the ball off the line.

67’ – Chamakh drives a pass from Walcott at the goal and Jaaskelainen just tips it over the bar.

68’ – Song repeats the sequence after a nice Niakhaichyk pass and Jaaskelainen again tips over.

78’ – Cahill and Javi battle for a corner from Petrov. Cahill wins but can’t get the ball through to goal. A close shave.

89’ (Bolton 1 – 1 Arsenal) – No! Muamba and Reo-Coker combine to pull Koscielny out of position. Eagles ghosts in behind and Fabianski is helpless as the ball is slotted home. A mistake punished by an honestly nifty play.

90’ – Davies goes down near the right touchline midfield after the slightest touch from Vermaelen. Surely a dive! Friend produces the Yellow Card… for Vermaelen. A nice capper for the night.

Press: “What did you think of the decisions tonight?”

Me: “Well, to be honest, I don’t think Kevin Friend could find his corn hole with both hands and a flashlight! If he choked on his cards and put himself out of our misery I wouldn’t exactly cry.”

The FA remained silent and Friend’s next assignment would be Stevenage v. Dag & Red.

At 5 pts and in 8th​ place we are now tracking for 77 pts – 2 behind schedule… because some idiot sent off a keeper for handball.

Last edited:
Champions League Draw

Group A
Milan
Chelsea
Ajax
Otelul

Group B

R. Madrid
Lyon
Partizan
Kobenhavn

Group C

Arsenal
Leverkusen
CSKA Moscow
Udinese

Group D

FC Porto
Valencia
Lille
Trabzonspor

Group E

Bayern
Zenit
Rangers
Haifa

Group F

Inter
Olympiakos
Shakhtar
BATE

Group G

Barcelona
Marseille
Dortmund
Man City

Group H

Man Utd
Villarreal
Napoli
Basel

Welcome to the Champions League Manchester City. Group G is brutal. Group A is also interesting.

We avoided Udinese in the playoff but drew them in Group C. Leverkusen is also solid. CSKA Moscow is the real threat of the bunch and I feel they will go through with us. A tough but winnable group for the Gunners.

Everton

10 September 2011 – Emirates (Dry, 24°)

A warm sunny afternoon at the Emirates as we try to pick up our first home win. This is never an easy task against Everton and I have to admit I admire David Moyes and the sides he fashions year after year on a shoestring.

Today our task is made a bit easier with new signing Landon Donovan (ankle), Arsenal almost-man Mikel Arteta (shoulder) and Diniyar Bilyaletdinov (knee) all missing the match. The Merseysiders are also adjusting to life without Leighton Baines (Arsenal) and Marouane Fellaini (PSG).

Bacary Sagna just misses the match for us after twisting his ankle in the 2nd​ leg against Standard. Carlos Vela is recovering from a bruised rib on international duty. Ivelin Popov is also absent after straining his knee in our agonizing draw with Bolton. Woijciech Szczesny sits a one match suspension for his …ahem… handball sending off against the Wanderers.

My ambitious friend Vitor Periera from Porto is in the stands to scout Everton center-back John Heitinga.

Arsenal
GK – Fabianski
DR – Vrsaljko
DCR – Koscielny
DCL – Otamendi
DL – Baines
DMC – Martinez
MCR – Bender
MCL – Fernandinho
AMR – Walcott
AML – Gaitan
ST – Cavani

Subs – Sommer, Djourou, Gibbs, Song, Collison, Niakhaichyk, Chamakh

Everton

GK – Howard
DR – Hibbert
DCR – Heitinga
DCL – Jagielka
DL – Drentha
MR – Osman
MCR – Neville
MCL – Distin
ML – Jaroslav Plasil (Bordeaux, £5.75m)
AMC – Cahill
ST – Saha

Subs – Hahnemann, Coleman, Fredrik Bjorck (Tromso, £650k), Beram Kayal (Celtic, £5m), Stracqualursi, Duffy, Rodwell

11’ – Vrsaljko lays a nice ball off for Fernandinho who smashes it high and left of goal.

13’ – Baines skims the bar with a freekick after Cavani is felled.

19’ – Gaitan’s corner is met by the head of Fernandinho and the fans erupt. The ref has other ideas and disallows the goal for offsides. Replays show this to be a poor decision. Hopefully we will not suffer at the hands of the officials two matches in a row.

36’ – Gaitan strips Hibbert and looks to be free. Hibbert catches up and makes an excellent slide tackle to prevent a good chance.

39’ (Arsenal 1 – 0 Everton) – A Walcott pass sets Gaitan free down the left. He crosses to Cavani who has escaped Neville. The big Uruguayan makes no mistake at the far post.

45’ – We pepper the Everton goal with shots and threats. Tim Howard looks like Neo from The Matrix as he single handedly keeps Everton in the match.

46’ – Everton bring on Jack Rodwell for Silvain Distin.

54’ – A Rodwell pass from deep finds Plasil whose long shot goes narrowly across our goal.

56’ – Drenthe frees Saha in the area. Koscielny makes a beautiful slide tackle to break up the play. Saha flops but the challenge was clearly clean.

60’ – Kayal comes on for Drenthe.

68’ – Kayal nearly makes an impact but scoops his freekick over the bar.

74’ – Nico Gaitan answers with a wasted freekick.

76’ – Osman drives a header wide after a nice Plasil cross. Everton look better this half.

80’ – Cavani goes down after a Jagielka challenge and the fans hold their breath as our frontman is treated on the sidelines.

87’ – Collison replaces Bender. Niakhaichyk is on for Walcott.

90+1’ – Coleman on for Plasil. The game really opens up with Everton pushing for an equalizer and the Gunners rampaging on the counter. Thrilling football but neither team nets before the whistle blows.

This should have been 2 - 0 with Fernandinho's disallowed goal but I'll take it.

We crawl back up to 5th​ on 8 pts after the rest of the weekend's fixtures. Man Utd sit top with 9 pts. Tottenham and Stoke are both perfect with a game in hand in 2nd​ and 3rd​. Man City (9 pts) fall to 4th​ after a stunning 0 – 1 home loss to Norwich.

We are still 2 pts behind schedule but sit comfortably close to the leaders.

Aspirin, please.

13 September – BayArena, Leverkusen (Gusty, 12°)

Our Champions League campaign begins in earnest on a windy night in Germany.

Leverkusen are a solid side led by Simon Rolfes and Michael Ballack, an old adversary from Chelsea’s run a few years back.

We welcome Bacary Sagna back to the side but he is only fit enough for a substitute role.

Arsenal will play our 4-2-2-2 and hope to keep our German opponent on the back foot.

Leverkusen
GK – Leno
DR – Balitsch
DCR – Toprak
DCL – Reinartz
DL – Kadlec
DMCR – Stepanenko
DMCL – Rolfes
AMCR – Augusto
AMC – Ballack
AMCL – Schurrle
ST – Kieβling

Subs – Giefer, Castro, Bastians, Barnetta, Derdiyok, Gomaa, Friedrich

Arsenal
GK – Szczesny
DR – Vrsaljko
DCR – Koscielny
DLC – Vermaelen
DL – Baines
MCR – Song
MCL – Fernandinho
AMR – Gaitan
AML – Niakhaichyk
STCR – Walcott
STCL – Cavani

Subs – Fabianski, Sagna, Djourou, Martinez, Collison, Bender, Chamakh

4’ – Fernandinho finds Cavani near the top of the box left. Cavani tricks Stepanenko with a forward move but slides right. The ball is slammed against the post but ultimately hoofed clear. Close.

7’ (Leverkusen 1 – 0 Arsenal) – Vermaelen comes off Kieβling to challenge Ballack. The German rolls the ball right past him to a now open Kieβling and the striker slots into the right side of the net. A big tactical mistake that I own is responsible.

9’ – Niakhaichyk feeds Cavani from the left. Cavani fires right at the keeper with the near corner open. Missed chance.

23’ – Gaitan’s corner finds Koscielny with his marker beaten. Koscielny’s accurate header is cleared off the line by Balitsch.

38’ – A Gaitan cross is cleared to Fernandinho, top of the box. The Brazilian alertly pass left with the keeper wrong-footed. Niakhaichyk’s narrow shot from the left goes just wide of the right post.

41’ – Another Niakhaichyk shot from the left is just saved by Leno.

46’ – Cavani rounds his man on the left and fires left corner. A diving Leno just turns the ball around the post.

53’ – Toprak just dispossesses a rampaging Walcott at the top of the box. The ball rolls left and Niakhaichyk win a footrace with Leno but hits the ball out in an attempt to cross. Our all name team winger is nicked and has to leave the field.

55’ (Leverkusen 1 – 1 Arsenal) – A Gaitan corner is neatly met by Koscielny who heads home. This combination has become a real threat for us this year.

56’ – Bastians on for Toprak.

58’ (Leverkusen 2 – 1 Arsenal) – Kadlec’s out-swinging corner finds Reinartz who heads home. Our goal equally answered.

72’ – Barnetta on for Augusto.

73’ – Friedrich replaces Schurrle.

76’ – Sagna replaces Vrsaljko. An offense generating swap. Martinez comes on for a tiring Fernandinho.

78’ – Stepanenko pick up a Yellow Card after protesting Song’s robust but fair challenge on Ballack. The fragile Ballack comes away limping.

90’ – Cavani is played in and again Leno does brilliantly to turn it round the post.

90+3’ – Cavani has one last crack, bending a long range shot wide right.

We lost a game that we dominated. Bernd Leno was absolutely huge for Leverkusen.

Though this was an important game it was hard to be critical of our play. Vermaelen’s move toward Ballack, the error that produced Leverkusen’s first, was after I had told him to aggressively play the ball. He did what I had asked. With my 4-2-2-2 as an away tactic I have to consider having both my central defenders in a pure defend role instead of a “Stopper-Cover” arrangement.

Last edited:
Manchester Untied Us

17 September 2011 – Old Trafford, Manchester (Drizzle, 21°)

A grey afternoon in Manchester as the Gunners face the first test of the campaign.

We are missing Popov and long term injuries Wilshire and Ramsey. Manchester United won’t have the services of back two Vidic (ribs) and Ferdinand (shoulder) as well as Tom Cleverley (calf).

We start in our 4-2-2-2 and we hope to be aggressive early to keep the Red Devils from running away with the game. Our team is still not settled so this will be a major challenge. The Manchester’s, red and blue, have been targeted for draws in our plan but I will play for a win to get us back on track for the 79 point season goal.

Manchester Utd
GK – De Gea
DR – Rafael
DCR – Jones
DCL – Evans
DL – Evra
MR – Park
MCR – Carrick
MCL – Giggs
MCL – Nani
STCR – Rooney
STCL – Berbatov

Subs – Lindegaard, Welbeck, Anderson, Fabio, Young, Valencia, Smalling

Arsenal
GK – Szczesny
DR – Sagna
DCR – Koscielny
DCL – Vermaelen
DL – Baines
MCR – Martinez
MCL – Fernandinho
AMR – Gaitan
AML – Niakhaichyk
STCR – Walcott
STCL – Cavani

Subs – Sommer, Djourou, Otamendi, Song, Collison, Bender, Chamakh

5’ (Man Utd 1 – 0 Arsenal) – Jones nicks Walcott and passes to Giggs who one-times to Berbatov running on the left. Szczesny doesn’t have time to come over before Berbatov hammers it in. A breakaway goal and our plans are in immediate disarray.

12’ – Berbatov rounds Koscielny and just misses left of goal. Should have been 2-0.

14’ – Rooney, having drawn both center-backs, passes to Berbatov. Szczesny is there to tip over this time. Another fine chance. We look like an oyster being hammered by an otter out there.

16’ – Berbatov heads over from a Giggs corner.

19’ – Rooney receives the corner at his feet but fire right into Baines on the left post. Should have been another goal.

25’ – Sagna and Fernandinho play some one-two before the Brazilian fires at goal. De Gea pulls off an acrobatic tip over the bar to prevent a goal. Niakhaichyk almost finds Vermaelen on the corner but is slightly long and the ball is cleared.

26’ – Cavani turns on the two Manchester center-backs and fires but the slightly deflected shot finds its way to De Gea.

31’ – Fernandinho has a crack from outside the box but can’t get it on target. We are failing to get the ball into the box. All of our shots are from distance.

32’ (Man Utd 2 – 0 Arsenal) – Rooney beats Vermaelen on the break and fires across Szczesny into the top left corner. An admittedly fine shot. We are in serious trouble now.

34’ – Rooney strips Baines and Park is off to the races. After dribbling the length of the field he has a glorious chance with Szczesny coming out too early. Fortunately for us Park fires straight into the young Pole’s chest.

37’ – Walcott looks to cut into a channel on the right but Evans brings him down. A Yellow Card but not a bad one as Walcott may have been on his way.

44’ – Arsenal break four on two but Evra makes a nice sliding tackle to dispossess Gaitan on the right.

45+2’ – Fernandinho unleashes a stunning shot from 35 yards that beats De Gea but doesn’t fool the left post. It bounces back out but we can’t reach it. Javi Martinez slides in on Berbatov. He gets the ball but Berbatov lands awkwardly and will have to come off.

45+4’ – Welbeck on for Berbatov.

“Alright gents, that half looked nothing like the stuff you’ve showed me so far. We are better than what I just watched. Play your game and believe in yourselves. Get one back and we’ll see where it goes from there.”

46’ – Smalling on for Park. Welbeck cuts into the box but Vermaelen makes a beautiful last minute tackle.

53’ – Koscielny plays an amazing long pass to Niakhaichyk who is free on goal. De Gea makes a fantastic save to turn the ball wide left.

59’ – Welbeck cuts into space in the middle and shoots. Szczesny tips the ball over.

60’ – Welbeck fires another at Szczesny who saves. Szczesny rolls to Baines who misplaces a pass right back to Welbeck. The young Englishman’s lob just catches the top of the bar and rolls onto the top of the net.

66’ – Song comes on for Walcott. We try to add more bodies in the middle to force the ball through.

67’ – Rooney beats Sagna in the air rather roughly. The Frenchman goes down and needs to leave the field for treatment.

75’ – Giggs make a fine freekick which Evans heads towards goal. Szczesny just tips it over.

81’ – Bender on for a flagging Fernandinho as we search for any way into the United box.

88’ – Javi Martinez limps off for treatment.

90+1’ (Man Utd 3 – 0 Arsenal) – With Martinez waiting to come back on, Giggs crosses to Nani who heads home. The final nail in our coffin.

90+1’ – Collison on for Martinez to prevent further injury. Anderson replaces Giggs who gets a thundering ovation.

We were out-played, out-shot and out-muscled in a disappointing afternoon of football. Giggs was brilliant with two assists and many more cances created. Not bad for an old man.

“That was not Arsenal football, lads. You will have to do better than that if we want to be in this in the end. You know it and I know it.”

We fall back to 7th​ on the weekend, 3 pts behind schedule. We should be tied on points with United and City at 12 and in 2nd​ or 3rd​ on goal differential.

Old School versus Oldham

20 Sepember 2011 – Boundary Park, Oldham (Dry, 14°)

After two tough losses we head to Oldham for our League Cup intro. This will be a day for our second eleven to pick us up. This is a matchup for the old First Division almost 100 years back. Fun for the historians out there.

Oldham

GK – Cisak
DR – Lee
DCR – Diamond
DCL – Clarke
DL – Diallo
MR – Morais
MCR – Wesoloski
MCL – Quashie
ML – Cunningham
AMC – Dossevi
STC – Kuqi

Subs – Gerrard, Winchester, M’voto, Adeyemi, Reid, Tarkowski, Parkes

Arsenal
GK – Sommer
DR – Vrsaljko
DCR – Djourou
DCL – Otamendi
DL – Gibbs
MCR – Bender
MCL – Collison
AMR – Chamberlain
AML – Miyaichi
STCR – Sigþórsson
STCL – Chamakh

Subs – Fabianski, Koscielny, Vermaelen, Song, Fernandinho, Niakhaichyk, Vela

1’ – Miyaichi rolls to Chamakh who dusts Clarke but fires against the post.

5’ – Sigþórsson fires a freekick over.

16’ – Gibbs launches one on the half-volley but it thunders back off the bar.

20’ – Miyaichi’s corner finds Chamakh but he heads over.

45+1’ – Diallo gets a Yellow Card.
We dominated the first half for long periods but couldn’t break through. I’m not worried very much as the chances are coming. 2-0 should be the scoreline but it easily could be more.

46’ – Chamakh finds space but again hits the post.

47’ – Chamberlain picks up a Yellow for tripping Morais.

52’ – Chamakh heads in a corner which Otamendi heads on towards goal. The ball hits Cisak’s body and goes up off the bottom of the crossbar. Woodwork for the fourth time on a sure chance.

58’ (Oldham 0 – 1 Arsenal) – Collison plays a pretty ball in to Sigþórsson on the right. The man from the land of the ice and snow puts the ball under the keeper from a narrow angle for a debut goal.

59’ – Cunningham upends Chamberlain and the youngster gets mouthy that a card wasn’t produced. Already on a Yellow, Chamberlain is warned.

66’ – Morais trips Chamberlain and sees Yellow.

69’ – Collison strips and Wesoloski but the referee awards a rather harsh freekick. Kuqi’s effort is tipped over by Sommer.

70’ – A Kuqi header off the ensuing corner is also tipped over. Winchester comes on for Diallo.

76’ – Adeyemi on for Quashie.

81’ – Cisak tips over a clever Sigþórsson lob.

82’ – Reid on for Dossevi.

86’ – Kuqi puts the ball in the net but he was clearly behind Djourou when the pass was made.

87’ – Chamberlain is replaced by Niakhaichyk. Fernandinho comes on for Collison.

90’ – Sigþórsson caps a fine debut by firing in a low ball that Cisak bobbles and just saves.

We move on to the next round in a game that we dominated but couldn’t close out. Oldham will need to replace the woodwork at their field as we pummeled it nearly to toothpicks.

Friends, Roman and Countrymen...

24 September 2011 – Emirates (Dry, 19°)

It’s back to the Emirates for a London derby and a chance to put our season on the right track against a good Chelsea side.

Chelsea are missing Terry, Malouda, Anelka and Kalou. We won’t be able to call on Popov who is close to a return. Wilshire and Ramsey are still long term casualties.

Arsenal
GK – Szczesny
DR – Sagna
DCR – Koscielny
DCL – Vermaelen
DL – Baines
DMC – Song
MCR – Martinez
MCL – Fernandinho
AMR – Walcott
AML – Gaitan
ST – Cavani

Subs – Sommer, Vrsaljko, Otamendi, Bender, Collison, Niakhaichyk, Chamakh

Chelsea
GK – Cech
DR – Boswinga
DCR – Alex
DCL – Luiz
DL – Cole
DMC – Mikel
MCR – Lampard
MCL – Ramires
AMR – Benayoun
AML – Mata
ST – Drogba

Subs – Itumeleng Khune (Kaizer Chiefs, £220k), Chalobah, Bertrand, Meireles, Torres, Clifford, Mellis

15’ – After a cagey start by both side Fernandinho takes the first real crack with long shot just high and left of goal.

20’ (Arsenal 1 – 0 Chelsea) – Fernandinho’s long ball finds Cavani. He escapes and outruns both Alex and Boswinga. Cech comes out and is brilliantly rounded. Edinson Cavani passes the ball into the back of the net. A brilliant athletic and technical piece of work!

24’ – Javi Martinez passes to Fernandinho high on the left. The Brazilian’s rifle shot rockets back off the left post with Cech lagging. This could have been 2-0.

29’ – After an open stretch, Sagna slides cleanly on Juan Mata. Mata over-strides and goes down clutching his hamstring. Bertrand comes on to replace him.

30’ – Luiz makes a beautiful long throw which Szczesny comes out to collect. Mikel beats him to the ball but his volley is punched clear as it leaves his foot. A good reflex save spares blushes after an impetuous rush.

33’ – Drogba tries a low long-range shot but is way off target.

37’ – Cavani feeds a running Walcott on the right. Walcott beats Cole and fires a laserbolt at the top right corner. Cech is beaten but the ball rises just over the bar.

42’ – Fernandinho intercepts a pass and evades Boswinga before launching a curving shot on goal. Cech tips the ball over the bar. Positive stuff from Arsenal.

43’ – Koscielny heads a corner towards Fernandinho but the Brazilian puts the ball in the side netting.

The crowd cheers the boys off the field at the half. Arsenal playing like contenders.

52’ – Vermaelen limps off the pitch. He waves off the sub and wants to continue.

57’ – Benayoun whips in a corner. Drogba gets up highest but heads it over. Emirates sighs in relief.

62’ – Fernandinho plays in Cavani who slots home across Cech. The linesman raises his flag and the goal is waived off. Replays show Cavani even with the defender but breaking fast. A very close call that hopefully won’t cost us.

63’ – Mikel plays a perfect ball to Drogba who is away. Szczesny comes out and makes himself large deflecting the Drog’s shot left of goal. A monster of a save.

65’ – Walcott plays himself into the box. Luiz makes a wild but effective clearance.

65’ – Gaitan’s corner is flicked on by Sagna. Alex Song volleys it towards the top corner but is denied by the post. So many close chances. We need to close this game out.

69’ – Gaitan blazes over.

72’ – Fernandinho blazes over.

73’ – Ramires launches a missile on the counter which Szczesny tips over.

74’ – Benayoun’s corner is headed across goal by Cole. Tense action in north London.

75’ – Walcott’s attempted cross is blocked out by Alex.

78’ – Niakhaichyk comes on for Gaitan.

86’ – Walcott into the area again and Cech does well to tip round the post.

89’ – A nicked Benayoun is replaced by Torres as Chelsea seek an equalizer.

90+3’ – Vermaelen out-jumps Drogba to clear a corner.

90+4’ – Arsenal and Chelsea trade counters with Szczesny tipping over a resulting Drogba shot.

90+5’ – Ramires swings in a corner. Vermaelen heads away above Torres. Luiz picks up the ball but passes to Ramires instead of shooting as the whistle blows.

The tension at Emirates turns into elation. Arsenal win an enthralling derby to maintain touch with the league leaders. For us this is huge.

We end the weekend in 5th​ on 12 pts. We sit three points behind United and City. City did Gunners fans a further favor with a 2-1 home win over Spurs, now 8th​.

Back