Standing in the shadows- a Manchester United story

Reaction score
Chapter one- the mistake
22nd May 1994
The Cliff training centre

View attachment 255901
I was the first one to walk, with my fellow teammates, through the tunnel that led me onto the field that I had grown to know and love growing up as a kid. It felt very special, very magical, to be walking through it for the very last time. After that… I wasn’t sure what it would lead to. The great man had my destiny in his hands.

It was the last game of the season for Manchester United academy; we were playing Liverpool’s under-17s in the deciding game for the Lancashire Academy league title.We just needed a draw to ensure that we would clinch it, which everybody around the club, even those involved with the first team were desperate to see us win- we had agonizingly lost the FA Youth Cup Final last week to Manchester City in a 2-0 defeat. If we lost this game, Liverpool would have beaten us to the title and would be celebrating in front of us, on our own turf as we go on ourholidays medalless and dejected. No. That could not happen; I had made a pact last night with David May and Pilky to make sure we kept a clean sheet. We mustn’t let the fans down.

What did give me a buzz about today’s game, was that I was made captain for the day as Gazza Neville had been injured in that defeat to Man City. As I shook hands with the opposition and offered Michael Owen a wry smile, I noticed Sir Alex in the stadium- I had to double take as I presumed he’d be having a rest to celebrate the first team’s title win yesterday. As I checked, there was a fleeting moment where our eyes met and he gave me what he thought to be a passionate ‘you can do it, son’ nod. This filled me with confidence and hunger to succeed, I started to jump on the spot to warm up, my vanity was boosted a little more when the tannoy loudly announced my name, greeted by a chorus of cheers from the United fans- some of them shouted,‘come on, Sutton’ and ‘let’s ‘ave it’. All this made me think: ‘yeah. I could do this. This was my time to shine.’ I was in a great mental state to win this.

Throughout the whole of the first half, I played a blinder. Michael Owen didn’t get a sniff of goal- every shot he had, I blocked. I was intercepting passes, I was closing players down, and I cleared Gerrard’s shot off the line. And, what’s more, when Giggs had a corner, I got to the near post and flicked the ball across with my head to David Beckham, who tapped home unmarked. Get in! We were 1-0 up seconds before half time- the perfect time to score. Just as I walked in through the tunnel, I caught Sir Alex’s eye, who had a ‘well done, son’, proud sort of smile etched across his face- though Jimmy Ryan instructed us to keep our heads and make sure we would see the game out in the dressing room at half time.

It was half an hour into the second period, which seemed like about a year to me. Liverpool’s academy were now throwing the kitchen sink at us. Steve McManaman was launching countless long, diagonal balls into Owen and Fowler. Nicky **** was now playing practically as a centre-half to deal with the pressure. Then, a fantastic through ball from Steven Gerrard split apart the defence leaving Owen to run at me- if he got past me he’d be one-on-one with the keeper. I was playing it well, retreating, not diving in, waiting for the moment… then,s omething happened. I slipped over on a slippery patch of grass, and landed flat on my ****, just catching a view of Owen having rounded Pilkington to slot home and pick the ball out of the empty net and take it back to the centre circle. I reminded myself that Liverpool still needed another goal.

****. That was the clean sheet pact out of the window, and having a sore **** didn’t help either. Deciding to be a man about this, I stood up, dusted myself down, cleared my mind and pulled my socks up. This would have to be us celebrating at the end of the night. Still having to brush away niggling feelings of disappointment at conceding the goal, I continued. In the final minute of stoppage time, Liverpool had aborted the long ball option- Fowler, now with the ball, beat the fullback on the left and cut inside ahead of the defence on a mazy run, I went to challenge him. Now, over the course of the season, I had made many challenges, and for every single one I had successfully won the ball. So I went into the challenge, as you would expect, with full confidence that I would win it. As the back of my foot hit the floor, I then closed my eyes to get into the swing of the tackle, to make sure that I followed through. If I missed it, Fowler could square it to Owen- I had to make the contact. Expecting to feel the ball, and hear the surge of Liverpool legs running up to go for the corner, I had a nasty shock as I felt Fowler’s leg tilting to my pressure. As I then opened my eyes in panic, I heard the referee’s whistle go. ‘NO!’ I shouted as I heard the distant sound of cheering from the opposition stands. I hadg iven away a penalty. ****. I had played so well. I can’t believe this is happening.

I know this might seem unprofessional to one, but in total despair, I knelt on the floor about 10 metres away from the box to watch the penalty. Though I held out little hope that Owen would miss his kick, my heart sunk like a stone when he sent Pilkington the wrong way to score and confirmed that Liverpool would win the title. I had ****** this up big time. As I weakly turned to the stands to see if Sir Alex had any wisdom for me, anything to give me hope, he had gone. I wished I could turn back time.

1st July 2011
Greater Manchester

'Christ, forgot about that day, it was awful' He thought to himself as he drove home from coaching. Musing about it further,making that tackle again and again in his head, he pulled up to his house, gotout of his car and did his favourite flick back lock motion to the car with hiskeys- he’d always thought that was a cool thing to do. Briefly chuckling tohimself, he smiled at his wife on the way in, gave her a ‘I’m back, glad it’s Friday’ kiss and walked into the kitchen.
"Hi love, tea looks great."
"Hi darling, yeah I thought we'd get some fish and chips tonight. I know you like a veggie burger so I got you that, I've got a haddock and we can share some chips? There's some bottles of beer in the fridge."
"Ah perfect, just what I need. So how was your day?"
"Oh, quite tiring. Just glad to be home really. There was this annoying cow at work who asked me to take her own papers up 5 floors to some guy in accounts, the lift didn't work either. It was out of order."
"What, her or the lift?"
Letting herself break out of her frustration, Emma allowed herself a smile. "So how was your day?"
"It was okay actually, my contacts at Man United have offered me this slot working with a few of their youngest new players. I mean like, 8 or 9 year olds. But still, that'll be quite exciting. This guy Jimmy Ryan, who used to coach me, sent me an email but the strange thing is, he also said: 'be great to here from you again. Jimmy. P.S. Have you heard this morning's news? I can't believe it.' Why didn't he just say what it was? I hope someone hasn't died. Maybe they've sold Rooney or something."

Emma then announced she would read in bed, kissed Gabriel on the cheek and took her half-eaten chips into the kitchen to dispose of them. For 10 o'clock on a Friday night, Gabriel would have hoped there would be something good on TV, but flicking through the channels, the series of Mock the Week and 8 out of 10 cats must have finished, leaving the best terrestrial options being Jamie's secret recipes and some wildlife documentary with David Attenborough. Deciding to settle for Sky Sports News, he took a sip of beer and put his feet up.
They had just finished an interview with some golfer when before the presenter announced: "And to round up this evening's news, Sir Alex Ferguson has shocked the football world by announcing that he is stepping down as manager of Manchester United and retiring from football." There was a brief shot of two, quite elderly, United fans being interviewed: "I just can't believe it. I thought he would be our manager forever. I don't think we'll find a manager that will ever quite shine a candle to what Ferguson has done for this football club. He's been incredible. I can't- I'm still in shock."
"We'll have more after this short break."
Gabriel sat bolt upright on his sofa, spilling over his beer as he did so. Questions began to race through his mind. Why did Ferguson leave? How will United cope? Who will their next manager be? Who... will their next manager be?
His heart now racing, Gabriel began to think: why didn't he apply? He had been a top, respected player for the club for 13 years, had completed his coaching badges, had seen some success managing Birmingham City and Brighton, and has come back from disappointment fighting. Like back in '94:
23rd May 1994
The Cliff training centre

This was to be a pivotal moment in my career, in my life. Sir Alex Ferguson was calling the academy players, one by one, into his office and telling them individually whether he wanted them to be given a new contract and promoted to the reserve team. If I was promoted, I would work my socks of and put my neck on the line, helping the team win trophy after trophy as part of the golden generation for the club I loved. If I was released, I dread to think about what might have happened to me. I think I could have turned to alcohol, I'd have no job prospects as I wasn't academic at school, I don't think I would have got back into football because I would have seen that rejection as an excuse to feel sorry for myself and hide myself away. It makes me shudder the whole idea of it.

The first few people were called in, and I saw David Beckham and Paul Scholes coming out of his office celebrating with a certificate in their hands. If I felt confident, at all, of getting through, I probably could have felt happy for them, but because I was feeling such constant agony, I couldn't quite find it in my heart to do so. As my turn got nearer, my nerves esculated. Eventually, Phil Mulryne trooped out dejected, saying my name weakly before trooping off to the bus stop dejected. I took a deep breath, my heart kind of sunk even before I entered the room, knowing that because of the errors yesterday, I would have to go through this heart-breaking process of rejection and self-blame.
"Son, come in. Go on, have a seat."
He sounded sympathetic. I reluctantly sat, I took a moment to wonder why he didn't tell me straightaway to get it over with, and then braced myself for my impending doom.
"Son, I was very disappointed with your mistakes yesterday. I really think you let your team down, and yourself down."
Oh great, why not pick at my self-esteem and scar me mentally before you tell me I'm released.
"It was such a shame, because from the first time I watched you play, I had an instinct that you are a player with big potential. So..." taking a moment to confirm his own decision "I have decided to put you into the first team squad."
"W-what?" I croaked, wiping my tears away, confused.
"Gabriel, you really think I'm going to let one stupid mistake ruin your career?"
"Two stupid mistakes."
"Well, surely you dont want to be released?" Ferguson chuckled.
"No." Gabriel answered quickly. "It's just that it's come as a bit of a surprise, that's all."
"Well, I'm willing to take a punt on you."
"T-t-thank you Sir. I don't know what to say."
"It's okay son." He said smiling. "I'm sure you'll repay me someday. Just promise me something."
"Anything, Sir."
"Never make the same mistake twice."

And I never did.

Great story. Great, great story. I hope to see more of this!

hi everyone- worked on this last night but thought it had gone because it was too long or something- couldnt see it on the stories section- weird. anyway, thanks for the comments so far, really appreciate it- that's what keeps me writing :)
a few things about the story, firstly that its going to be very personal, very much with a narrative and slightly rambling plots. what ive done is sort of kept my character and small elements of my actual life in the story but in situations that dont suit me. bit of comedy in there as well. so if ur looking for something thats more to do with stats/effects of tactics etc. then this story might not be for you
also, you might recognise bits of the story in future updates- but i did a story called manchester united- the next generation a few weeks ago but rage quite the game :S anyway, lecture over, hope you all enjoy :)

gabriel

Chapter two- applying for the job
2nd July 2011
Manchester

Having decided to abort TV last night in preparation for the interview, Gabriel was glad he didn't have much of a hangover, even though he'd only had a couple of beers. When the application was downloaded, he was relieved to find that they only wanted to know the potential manager's employment experience, and professional career, as well as basic info like name, address and date of birth. Gabriel assumed that they would go into the nitty-gritty of it in the interview. The application was easy enough to fill in.
Just as he had sent the attachment email to David Gill, his phone rang:
"Hello?"
"Hi Gabriel, it's mum."
"Oh, hi mum. How are you?"
"I'm fine thanks, just calling to let you know that Kyle got the part in Les Miserables down in the West End."
"Oh that's brilliant! I had my fingers crossed for him ever since he got kicked off Mamma Mia. So, when are they touring?"
"I think he said September up to Christmas time at the Hammersmith Apollo. We should go and see it!"
"Err.. yeah, maybe."
"Anyway he gets back on Friday, so on Saturday we're going out to Pangaea for a curry, do you wanna come?"
"Okay. Can Ellie make it?"
"Yeah she texted me this morning, she'll be there. Apparently her fashion company have got a new deal with River Island. So it'll be celebrations all round."
"I guess so. Well I've got to finish this job application so I'll see you then."
"Oh what for?"
"To become the next manager of Manchester United."
"Hahaha. Stop it, you. Enough with your jokes, if they wanted a new manager, they'd get Carlo Ancelotti or David Moyes, maybe Mike Phelan. Someone with experience. Why would they-"
Gabriel hung up.

Going back upstairs, he had a look on twitter to see what everyone thought about Ferguson leaving United.

RioFerdy5- Sir Alex. Can't believe he's left. He was the best manager in the world! Gutted.

Wazza10- To be honest, I can't begin to thank the boss enough for what he's done for me and helped me develop. #GreatestManagerEver

BBCWalker- I've got a feeling Man U will struggle this season with their manager gone. It will be a very difficult task for anybody to emulate what Alex Ferguson has done, and I don't envy anyone who tries. Hard times ahead for them I think.

SuperMario- yes, yes, fergie has left. the future be ours, the future be mario. #whyalwaysme
AndersSamba- @SuperMario because you're a clown. We'll get a new manager in and we'll get back on the road to trophies. #GloryUnited
SuperMario- @AnderSamba idiot. You have no money, your manager is gone and we have a better squad than you. Worried?
Wazza10- @SuperMario you wish. We're building a team that's gonna kick your ***.
SuperMario- @Wazza10 I'd like to see you try. United: your time is the past, ours is the future.
After a couple of hours surfing the internet to see what people thought about Ferguson leaving, I checked my emails to see if Gill had got back to me, more in eagerness than expectation. To my surprise, the club had replied.

I clicked on the email:

R.e. Application attachment

Hi Gabriel- thank you for your application. On behalf of the board, I am pleased to offer you an interview with myself, Bobby Charlton and Joel Glazer. As a guideline to prepare for the interview, the basic topics that we will be discussing will be your transfer policy, the style of football that you want to introduce and your targets for the club. The interview will take place on the 12th floor of the Gherkin building in London, at 9.30am on Friday 8th July. If you positively can't make that time for any reason, contact me as soon as you get this and we may be able to re-arrange. Otherwise, I look forward to meeting you then.

Yours sincerely,
David Gill
Manchester United chairman

Gabriel re-read the email, and decided to text Kyle to see if he could meet up for brunch afterwards and get the train back together. This was going to be a big, but exciting day.

hi all- hope everyones enjoying this so far, feedback and comments are appreciated. thanks

Looking good buddy. Nice when stories get bulked out with lots of other information. Keep it up. (H)

Just quickly read through since you told me you were making one mate. Very nice start and looks really interesting - the only thing I could say is sometimes you write from a first-person perspective but then sometimes you refer to the character from a third-person perspective. I may have just read it wrong as I've only given it a quick scan - but keep it up anyway mate. Following.

thanks man, really glad you like it- yeah what i do is for the flashbacks i use first person perspective, because its the character in real time looking back at things that had happened to him and stuff like that- recalling stuff. then in the real time its like an actual story so i use third-person. to be honest though, im just writing this as i go along- i dont tend to plan what i write, i personally find that more enjoyable. but thanks for the feedback :)

thanks man, really glad you like it- yeah what i do is for the flashbacks i use first person perspective, because its the character in real time looking back at things that had happened to him and stuff like that- recalling stuff. then in the real time its like an actual story so i use third-person. to be honest though, im just writing this as i go along- i dont tend to plan what i write, i personally find that more enjoyable. but thanks for the feedback :)

Ah, okay mate - as I say, just quickly scanned through it as I'm doing a couple of things. Yeah, I write as I go along too - despite not posting an update for a while. Anyway mate, keep it up. Looking forward to more updates.

Chapter three- the interview
Saturday 20th August 1994
Old Trafford

This was it. This was my big chance to make an impact on this new-look Manchester United team. It was the first game of the season and we were playing QPR at home, who had finished midtable the season before. For my first team debut, I was scattered with nerves of making another mistake, but part of me was also very determined to prove to Sir Alex that he had made the right decision to promote me; I wanted to repay his faith in me.

I was having a decent game covering for injured Dennis Irwin at fullback, we were winning 1-0 thanks to a goal from Mark Hughes early in the second half and I had given Trevor Sinclair, my opposition winger, a tough game, making several good tackles and I managed to block most of his crosses.

In stoppage time, we had a corner, Giggs swung it in to the near post, but the QPR defender headed it away, before Paul Scholes gave me a great lay-off for a shot with his first touch… BANG! 2-0. I whacked the ball into the far-top corner past their keeper’s desperate dive. I had scored on mydebut. All of those fans during warm-ups looking at the programmes thinking: ‘Gabriel Sutton… who is he?’ They know now. I was a man who could deal with the pressure.
9.30am Friday 8th July 2011
The Gherkin, London

“Ah, hello Gabriel. You’re here. Nice to see you again.”
“Hello Mr Gill.”
“Please take a seat. This is club legend, Sir Bobby Charlton, our director of football, and Joel Glazer, our co-chairman.”
“Fantastic, it’s great to meet you all.”
“Right then, shall we get started?”
Gabriel answered this with a confident look in David’s eyes and feint smile, which he took to men yes.

“Gabriel, I’ve got two words for you to answer. You’re inexperienced.”

“I accept that, at my young age, I don’t have quite the experience of someone like Jose Mourinho or Carlo Ancelotti- even with the promotions with Birmingham City and Brighton on my CV. What I do have, which is what I think the next Manchester United manager should, is love for this club. I appreciate that appointing me would be a gamble, it would be a big step up for me, but I’m a manager that is a true red and I’m sure I will be loved by the fans straightaway- I think it would be a gamble worth taking.”

“Okay, say we give you the job, right here right now, what would your targets be for this coming season?”

“Well primarily, for a club of this stature, our main aim should be to make sure we win the Premiership title. That would have to be my number one target. However, I think that because of the limitless spending power that Manchester City have, what I would be prepared to place a lot of emphasis on is building a team for the future that can beat them in the long-term. To do this, I will need to blood some of the younger players earlier and give them first team experience. So, I’ll need to balance my priorities out between wanting to make sure we win the title this season, and beginning to bring through the younger players.
In terms of the other competitions, I see the domestic cups as an opportunity to help me with giving the youngsters some experience- especially in the early rounds. I would love to see us win the Champions League but being realistic, I think we are a club in transition and there are better teams than us in that competition- though it’s one of the trophies I want to win in the long-term with this club.”

“What transfer policy will you be using in the next few windows?”

“The club isn’t in the best state financially, so what I’d be looking to do is heavily utilise my scouting team to find very young, future stars and buy them cheaply. I will then sign them on long-term contracts so that we don’t have to increase their wages. Even if it wouldn’t be a decision that I would be delighted to make, I will agree to sell some of the more experienced players before their value decreases. I think we’d have to work quite financially disciplined until we are out of this debt.”

“What style of football are you hopingt o impose upon the squad under your management?”

“At the top level, keeping the ball is crucial. Therefore, I’ll be getting the team to play an exciting, possession style football. I think that when you consider that most United fans have to pay the best part of £1,000 for a season ticket in this economic climate, the very least they deserve is to be entertained week in, week out. However, that being the main way I will look to set the team out, I want to compromise elements of the keeping possession factor with building a hard-working team that can grind results out, keep fighting right to the end of games and occasionally have a shot from long-range or gamble on that through ball over the top. If we stubbornly stick to only possession football there’s a danger that we won’t create enough chances. The short answer is: possession football but with a cutting edge."

“What are your long-term ambitions for this club?”

“Good question. I think this will definitely be a long-term project for me, and for the club. To meet my long-term ambitions in terms of retaining the Premiership title crown, Manchester City and Chelsea will pose massive threats obviously because of their financial clout. But I think where Sheikh Mansour and Mr Abramovich have maybe missed out a bit, is passion. I’m aiming to build a team of budding, cheap young talents, gradually integrate them into the first team set up and get them to play together for a long time. I think a team of players that love the club, have played together for a long time and have mutually respect ties with a manager that wants to win more than anybody can beat a team of players that are waiting for their next pay check. I ask that, as a board you have patience with me because I’m a very young manager and I will make mistakes. But I’m aq uick learner and I’m the man to lead the building this team that will win trophies and continue to work on the next generation- where Sir Alex left off."

Last edited:
hi all- hope you enjoyed that update. as always, im glad of any feedback- thoughts so far?

this is greate, kiu mate, I thought i was just another united story, but it really is different and well thought out, keep updating

thank you :) yeah im setting myself the challenge of winning trophies by bringing through youngsters- the holy grail for me will be winning the champions league, my aim is to have won that within my first five seasons. cheers for the feedback.