Star Rating on your own team - Improving accuracy

Mulagar

Reaction score
Playing as Man United on my 3rd season.
Flush with cash, I bought Neymar and James Rodriguez at the star of the season for around 80 million each. The weird thing is their star rating is very low compared to their attributes. Neymar has 3.5 while Rodriguez has 2.5 (!!) stars. After that I replaced Ryan Giggs with Van Basten hoping to improve the accuracy, to no avail.

It got me worried that their abilities might have declined, despite what my eyes tell me from their attributes. However genie scout told me that nope Neymar is still at 190 ca, James is at 176. Juan Mata, the 4.5 star that my staff is gushing about is at 169 ca.

Now I understand that the star rating is not that useful in the first place.
However it is very convenient when you need to do a quick sub or quickly pick a starting line up. Do a quick team depth comparison, etc.

TL DR: How do I improve the accuracy of the star rating in my own team ?

the star rating is not an indicator of how good a player is. It's your assistant managers assessment of how valuable a player is to the club.

Mata has been at the club for 3+ years and I assume he's been getting good average ratings since you assistant rates him highly.
Whereas Neymar and Rodgriguez have only just joined the club so you assistant hasn't seen enough of them in training or in your tactical set up to warrant being as important as Mata.

You singed them, not your assistant. Only you know their true value to the squad.

MY advice: ignore the star rating completly. Don't use it as a quality index to sign/spot players. Use the stats provided (adverage ratings, games played, reputation, ect). :)

Am I right in saying.. and btw I am completely expecting to be told I am wrong..

The star rating is the scouts assessment of a players CA & PA, if 'Player A' has a CA of 120 and a PA of 165, he will probably have a CA of 2* and a PA of 4/4.5*..

However if you have a player in the same position 'Player B' with a greater CA/PA then this will lower 'Player A's star rating in comparison?

Am I way off? that's the way I have always understood it. Only because if it were taking average ratings into consideration as Brendn suggest above, how comes when I have players with a lower CA but they are consistently brilliant, their star rating never goes up?

I dont use current ability star ratings to sign player but when accurate for your own team it really is useful for man management. Especially later on when most of your players are regen and its hard to keep track of the names. A quick look at team depth to determine weak points, injury forces you to move players around and you check their star rating for positional suitability, etc.

It is quite disappointing that coaches somehow dont know the abilities of players like Neymar or J. Rodriguez.
Hopefully in future fm if the reputation is "worldwide" or media description is "world-class" then coaches should be assumed to know most things about them.

My best advice is the star rating don't work as most expect them too. Therefore, I agree with Brendn

I always advise FM players to use the 'compare players' function in order to chose who to play.

This is quite interesting in discussion, Bullardinho's post does make me wonder too.

I always tended to use the Assistant Report of the whole squad in the squad depth page to decide on a rough idea for my formation/starting line up, while using the player info to decide on the player role, then I would double check if I needed a specific role with other players in that position who are more suited to the role. I used to use the CA/PA star ratings when trying to decide to loan/sign someone, if it was for cover then I'd be more inclined to use the PA star rating as I feel I could work them into my team, if it was an immediate starter or a position I desperately needed then I'd use the CA star rating, as I some times feel I look at a player with their stats and think, they look incredible, then I get an assistant report who advises me they aren't good enough and are actually the 4th or 5th best player for that position, so then avoid them.

While seeing what Brendn says, makes me think, maybe sometimes, it could be worth a punt on this player based on his stats, as I could get them playing better...
When looking at the stats I always highlight key attributes for the role and judge it all on these and maybe a couple of other stats for how I like to play.

Maybe I'm approaching this wrong.

I think all this uncertainty can only be a good thing right? If they were absolutely spot on with who were the best players in each position and whatever, then most people would just go with that all the time, regardless of form or tactical suitability or whatever. I like having to decide for myself who to pick in each position, based on who I think is the best, rather than being told that one player is much better than another, and I'd be silly not to pick him. The star ratings can be a rough guide, but that's just one resource to look at to decide who is first choice.

This adds a level of subjectivity which I like - it's why under one manager Player X can be the first name on the team sheet, but when the manager gets replaced he goes straight onto the transfer list. Happens in real life, happens in the game too :)

the star rating is not an indicator of how good a player is. It's your assistant managers assessment of how valuable a player is to the club.

Mata has been at the club for 3+ years and I assume he's been getting good average ratings since you assistant rates him highly.
Whereas Neymar and Rodgriguez have only just joined the club so you assistant hasn't seen enough of them in training or in your tactical set up to warrant being as important as Mata.

You singed them, not your assistant. Only you know their true value to the squad.

MY advice: ignore the star rating completly. Don't use it as a quality index to sign/spot players. Use the stats provided (adverage ratings, games played, reputation, ect). :)

I'd never heard this before, but having thought about it, it makes sense. It happened on my Malmo story with Quintero - I signed him, obviously superior to most of my other players, yet only rated two and a half stars. I picked him anyway, he delivered consistently, and suddenly he's rated 4 and a half stars.

Conclusion: Brendn is spot on!