Reaction score
In all the years i have played football manager i have never started the game unemployed.

Does anyone do this regular?
Has anyone any general information about it?
What sort of job offers do you get at the start?
Is it worth doing?
How difficult is it to work your way up to the prem?

Cheers

it depends which leagues you load and which reputation you load, its really fun and i suggest you give it a go but go with a variety of leagues from many different countries and not just the top division

start with england npower league 2 and above, italy serie B and above, spain liga aledente and above
apply for all lower league jobs that are available on the job screen
semi professional footballer is a challenge but you still get 1/2 job offers once applied
its quite a fun challenge, im doing it atm, started like above and got hereford job
id say prem within 10 seasons with hereford if i stayed there all the time but if job offers from higher clubs come along maybe 5
all depends on your tactics and transfers i spose

I prefer having all of the English Leagues, Scottish, Italian and Spanish top 2 leagues and a couple of other top leagues so if I get further I have options.
I find it fun starting right from the Blue Square Leagues. On 2010 my first season was at Worcester City, massively overachieved there so Pompey (who just got relegated) asked me to be their manager, so got them promoted, so I was in the Premiership in 2 seasons! I quickly tried it on 2011, but it was a lot harder to get a first job there, might be easier if you said you were a professional footballer though...

In fact, this has tempted me to try again, seeing as I have just finished a season with United

Last edited:
I do regularly , English down to BSN/BSS, then Spanish, French, Dutch, German, Italian and Scottish on the normal chosen settings, and an automatic reputation.

On 08 Either get a job working in BSN/S, German second division or Dutch Division. I normally get something like Vauxhall, though I got St. Pauli once which was fun, then the week after Football Focus did a piece on the club, i was loling, best thing that has ever happened,
I started as AGOVV in the Dutch division, and recieved promotion to Eredivision.

It's much more fun, otherwise look for jobs without a manager, like in FM10 - Worcester, and just choose that job, its along the same line...

Most fun with Sunday league rep but you may have to wait a long time to get a jo. Best to holiday and apply for all jobs and have the settings that your holiday ends when you get offered a job.

First post, got a job at accrington stanley in december (1st season) when started unemployed they were bottom of league and i ended up season in 13th and got the sack at the end of the season!! joke

If you start at Lincoln, they already have a Great striker on loan for them and if you can get two more loan deals for the defence and goal (I got Jack Butland (Birmingham) and Gavin Hoyte (Arsenal)) Lincoln can do well. I got Lincoln Promotion and the JPT in two seasons

I always start the game like that. It's more fun than a regular game, when u choose 1 team and play with it all the time. I'm trying to load as much leagues as I can, to make my gme harder. Last time I started uynemployed I got CFR Cluj job offer, and been here for two years. Than I wanted a new challenge so I resigned and joined Shakhtar. It's really funny to start the game unemployed

I always have at least 1 game starting as unemployed with sunday league footballer experience. On FM11 however, I did this and loaded every single league, but could only get a job in Indonesia. It's more realistic than the older games, but less enjoyable.

I have managed FC Bleid (Belgium), Paredes (Portugal) and Ariquemes (Brazil) in the past - all very fun teams to manage and I found a bit of success with each.

I always start unemployed, find its more realistic. Start low and either build that team or move up the leagues via different clubs. I normally take the Hereford job on 2012 and in 7 seasons I took them to 2nd in the premiership to only then not improve upon that for the next three years. Had two amazing regens in sergio agatino conte and primoz kouter. Unfortunately I accidently deleted what was at the time a 13 season career. So looks like I'll be starting again LOL