Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I always want to try this on FM, but I tend to find I normally have very little success (at least I haven't since FM08). I want to start a game unemployed with past playing experience as Automatic, I basically want to start at the bottom and work my way up until I can become successful.

I just wanted to know if anybody had many tips, I'll probably make the game send me on holiday until about October, I'll be an English manager, but tempted to have Italy/Spain/Germany leagues playable too just to expand my choices of clubs come the period of sackings.

(Sorry if there is a place this should have gone but I couldn't find a sub forum where it was mentioned).

Thanks!

All you can do at the start is wait for an opportunity, no doubt it'll be hard though as you have no coaching badges. Good luck!

If you start at the bottom with no qualifications, I'd recommend you make a few promises in interviews. Maybe a lower wage/transfer budget, but definitely philosophies. You're going to be competing for that job against other managers who have some qualifications and experience. You need to stand out. It's a tough life at the start! :D

Yeah I've done it before, I had one when I first bought the game but got so frustrated with my side being very inconsistent, but I'd openly admit I was much worse at the game then than I would guess I am now.

I'm just hoping some people have some tips, like how to hunt for the right players to loan in or potentially buy if I have any money to use. Also lastly whether I should keep my tactics as simple as possible possible as I'd imagine they wouldn't be great using player roles like Half Back or Regista!

I'm planning on starting a thread where I detail the process I go through when starting at a new club with no knowledge of the squad. Will take a week or two though!

It's a myth that you need to keep tactics super simple when low down the league system. What is important is to realise that these players aren't Barcelona. They cannot play at 100mph with very short passing. They don't have the passing skills, the first touch, vision, technique, decision making ability, composure etc go do it. If you want to use a half back though, for instance, go for it.

As far as players are concerned, I wouldn't worry too much about it. See where you end up first. Then evaluate the squad to see if you even need anyone. Don't forget to set up your scouts, if you have any, to start looking for possible players.

As far as players are concerned, I wouldn't worry too much about it. See where you end up first. Then evaluate the squad to see if you even need anyone. Don't forget to set up your scouts, if you have any, to start looking for possible players.
Will definitely do that as soon as it starts, any tips with scouts, I'll admit with the higher clubs I tend to look around other sides and then tell my scout to get me a report on them, obliviously with a lack of knowledge on the lower divisions players, I'd imagine my scouts could be vital for finding a hidden gem for these divisions!

No tips really. That far down, I don't think you would be allowed to scout regions, so scout England (if that's where you start) to get a bigger range of players discovered. Once you have a player base, you can scout individual leagues for better quality scouting.

When doing this do you end up gaining coaching badges as you progess experience wise or win promotions/cups?

I'm doing a LLM right now. Started without any badges and sunday league . I loaded a lot of leagues but also downloaded english leagues up to tier 11. I'm doing an experiment to see how long it takes to get from amateur level to world class team as a manager.
The first advice i could give is to apply to everything thats available and then decide on the team that has the most chances of promoting. You want to go fast through the lower leagues. After promotion you can decide if you want to continue or not. I usually resign and apply at teams that are in a highier league. After getting the job if the club is in good financial position i ask the board for permission to start a course. You have to get promoted to get experience under your belt. You can rinse and repeat that scenario or stay with the team if you like going through the leagues with the same team.

Regarding players you dont need to worry until you get to a team that has the status professionl. You find a lot of free players at amateur level. Get yourself players that have good physical skils. Strike up a decent tactic and you should be ok.
The best thing i found at amateur level is that when a player moans about playing time i just release him from the club.

An other advice if you want to get through the leagues quickly is to try not to apply to teams during the season in the first two or three especially if you apply to teams that are in a better division but are relegation candidates. Getting relegated does not do well to your reputation . It's easier to get promotions in the lower leagues and therefor get experience and increase in reputation. After a couple of promotions you can eyeball a job in a decent league . Don't be afraid to go all over europe. Just remember "The higher you get through leagues the harder it is" .

Try to remain patient and have fun. After all... its only a game.

As has been said before, at the beginning apply for everything going, before making a decision on who to manage (if you get several offer) check the squad, finances and staff in post. Don't panic if you don't progress as fast as you want you are inexperienced and lack qualifications. If you get a job offer from another club during the season don't automatically accept as you may end up in a worse situation. Remember a unemployed challenge is a long term commitment.

Just found out once in a role you can request board for a coaching role which I assume will bostt stats etc - Sutton in Vanarama South gave me a chance and doing well.
I had loaded all englsh leagues, Irish and Germany.

From job interviews it appears resigning or applying to other jobs while at a club may add negative points to being hired, so I'd be careful not to go resigning and applying for jobs too easily. In one year contracts, wait for them to run out rather than resign soon. Also, it may not be considering your finishing position in the league if you leave too soon.

have a look into the big teams there under 21 are under 18 squad are reals castille and like that.
talents for the future. are players in the first teams with no game time