Steam hacked - be aware.

Athe~

Reaction score
Dear Steam Users and Steam Forum Users:

Our Steam forums were defaced on the evening of Sunday, November 6. We began investigating and found that the intrusion goes beyond the Steam forums.

We learned that intruders obtained access to a Steam database in addition to the forums. This database contained information including user names, hashed and salted passwords, game purchases, email addresses, billing addresses and encrypted credit card information. We do not have evidence that encrypted credit card numbers or personally identifying information were taken by the intruders, or that the protection on credit card numbers or passwords was cracked. We are still investigating.

We don’t have evidence of credit card misuse at this time. Nonetheless you should watch your credit card activity and statements closely.

While we only know of a few forum accounts that have been compromised, all forum users will be required to change their passwords the next time they login. If you have used your Steam forum password on other accounts you should change those passwords as well.

We do not know of any compromised Steam accounts, so we are not planning to force a change of Steam account passwords (which are separate from forum passwords). However, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to change that as well, especially if it is the same as your Steam forum account password.

We will reopen the forums as soon as we can.

I am truly sorry this happened, and I apologize for the inconvenience.

Gabe.

From the steam forums.

Sucks. I've only joined Steam for FM, and I didn't use my own CC because it doesn't work w/ international currency, and now this. I'm going to get my **** chopped off if something happens.

didnt buy it off steam, so doesn't concern me?

Hmm... Just changed my Steam password just in case - better safe than sorry. Besides I don't think I have changed it since I started using steam... Which was well, ages ago.

@Athe - what do you mean it doesn't work with International currency? I can pay with Aussie dollars using my debit card over steam just fine.

@Calum - Yes. You still need your steam account to play FM12. ;)

Hmm... Just changed my Steam password just in case - better safe than sorry. Besides I don't think I have changed it since I started using steam... Which was well, ages ago.

@Athe - what do you mean it doesn't work with International currency? I can pay with Aussie dollars using my debit card over steam just fine.

@Calum - Yes. You still need your steam account to play FM12. ;)

My card works with argentine pesos, basically useless outside Argentina (Sometimes even in Argentina...).

Wow. People must be RRREEALLLYYY upset having to play FM through Steam these days. Whoever it was, f*cking ******.

Done anyway.

Do ya think if they were to hack my account, cc details could be accessed easily :S?

Do ya think if they were to hack my account, cc details could be accessed easily :S?

I doubt it, bank security is pretty good. But change your Steam password anyway, just in case.

I'd also recommend activating Steam guard-if you don't already. Just realised I didn't. Which was...stupid

What exactly is that, what does it do and how do I activate it? :p

Well, it's basically an additional security feature. If someone tries to access your account from another pc/laptop, you recieve a notification via e-mail, and you have to confirm it was you via some form of password or something, to access the account. Right click on the little steam box thingy, go to settings, manage steam guard account security, then enable the steam guard. If you've used steam on other computers, it also gives the option to de-authorise all other computers, which means you'll have to have the appropriate authorisation to access it on others

It was already active apparently so I don't have much to worry I guess.

The reassuring news is, because the passwords etc are hashed and salted, it makes it extremely difficult for hackers to get them. Apparently it's an extremely solid defence against the little shitbags

Well, it's basically an additional security feature. If someone tries to access your account from another pc/laptop, you recieve a notification via e-mail, and you have to confirm it was you via some form of password or something, to access the account. Right click on the little steam box thingy, go to settings, manage steam guard account security, then enable the steam guard. If you've used steam on other computers, it also gives the option to de-authorise all other computers, which means you'll have to have the appropriate authorisation to access it on others

How dya' turn it off, hate that thing.

Even with new security features they still cracked FM, how did they do it ?

i uninstalled steam last fortnight ;P feeling safe :)

I wouldn't be too worried. They can't do anything with the passwords ect. if they are hashed. They would need to gain access to the
source code somehow to get to the hashing function before they could decrypt them... Which I think you will find is unlikely.

Because there are some clever, sneaky people out there with no life, that seem intent on damaging the PC games industry. But, it is getting hard and harder to do.

its just a higher level of programming these guys are doing. and somehow they have manage to tackle something as big as this new fm activation system.

an infamous achievement unlocked . congrats ;)

Last edited:
It is worrying to hear about Steam being hacked, but the fast response, and the security they have regarding our information, It does make me feel better. Specially with the steam guard thing. That is a genius idea tbh.