Jake

Super Moderator
Reaction score
This is straight copy and paste from the FM12 steam help thread, if any 2013 specific steam problems are raised (unlikely) i will edit the Op when a fix is worked out.

O.K. it seems a small but incredibly vocal number of users are having various problems with steam. Use this thread to report any problems you have and the community will hopefully answer and help to solve your problem.

Just some points:

Millions of people around the world use steam without a problem. Almost every member of staff on this website has used steam before the release of FM13 without problem. I myself have used it since FM10 and i have never experienced anything but sheer satisfaction. In the vast majority of cases, the user or the users computer system is the problem, not Steam or the game.

Closing your computer down with the game still running is likely to cause serious problems, as will closing it down before you close steam as steam needs to do some syncing operations before it closes. The correct way to exit the game and shut down your computer is:

Save and close FM
Close and exit steam
Wait for steam to sync and dissapear from your taskbar/notification area bottom right
Shut down your computer

Please note, crash dumps are not a steam specific problem, and steam updating the game does not cause crash dumps, not matter what rumours you may have heard or read. A common crash dump problem is using graphics from previous editions of the game without the correct format. Ensure all add-on graphic files are .png and not .PNG - Use this thread for crash dump issues.

cant play fm12!

steam error - this game if currently unavailable at the moment, please try again another time

can any 1 help with this???

If the game is currently unavailable it is for one of two reasons.

Because steam is updating it for you. You must be in online mode with the internet connected to allow steam to do this. So anyone who is getting this message for more than a few minutes either has an incredibly slow internet connection (update took 2 minutes for me on a 5 meg connection) or they are not connected to the internet, or steam is in offline mode.

You have opened steam in online mode without an internet connection. Steam must register and sync with the servers before you enter offline mode and play the game without the internet connected. To prevent this problem in future, open steam with your internet connection on, switch to offline mode and then never close steam again.

As i just mentioned, at certain times the game will be unavailable to play. This is because steam is in the process of automatically patching it for you. It saves you the trouble of having to find, download and install the patch yourself. If you would prefer not to allow steam to update the game for you, please do the following:

Open steam library - right click FM12 - click properties - click updates - then change the option to always keep the game up to date

Before spitting the dummy totally, try the following:

1. Restart steam and/or your computer to see if the problem can be rectified.

2. Verfy integrity of game files on steam:

Open steam library - right click on FM12 - click properties - click local files - click verfy integry of game cache

3. Defragment your game files on steam:

Open steam library - right click on FM12 - click properties - click local files - click defragement game files

4. Try renaming your client registry blob:

Windows XP/Vista/7

• Completely exit from the Steam client.
  • Go to C:\Program Files\Steam (or the Steam directory that was specified during installation).
  • Locate ClientRegistry.blob and rename this file to ClientRegistryOld.blob.
  • Restart Steam to allow the file to be recreated.
  • Test the issue once more.
Mac OSX

• Completely exit from the Steam client.
  • Go to /Users/[Username]/Library/Application Support/Steam
  • Locate ClientRegistry.blob and rename this file to ClientRegistryOld.blob.
  • Restart Steam to allow the file to be recreated.
  • Test the issue once more
Important

It is not recommended to delete the Old.blob as it may be used later to determine recurring issues.

5. Delete and reinstall the game from your computer. Use steam to do this, not control panel:

Open steam library - right click on FM13 - click delete local content

Redownload the game

6. Reinstall steam.

7. In an extreme case you may want to try a full manual uninstall. Details can be found at the bottom of the opening post of this thread.

If none of the above prove to be any help then please post your problem in this thread. I will be closing any other steam problem threads, whether thats new threads or ones that have been made previously, mainly because a tiny minority of incredibly vocal people who have an issue (which is usually something THEY themselves have done, not a problem with steam) are spamming the forum and contributing to a slow down.

If you have a problem please post as many details about the problem as you can. Posting:

''Waaaaahhh steam is ****, blah blah blah why can't i play the game?!?!??????????????!?!?!?!?!?!?!''

Is highly unlikely to get a response that will help you.

-----------

If you're worried about Steam using up your precious RAM on your old computer then do the following..

1. Right Click FM12
2. Properties
3. Untick Enable Steam Community in Game
4. Congratulations, you have now freed up almost 1MB of RAM!

Last edited:
Already a problem doing this, I cant find this part...

Open steam library - right click on FM12 - click properties - click local files - click defragement game files

Hi Jake,
I have a running FM 2012 on Steam and never faced any issues with it.
However, I downloaded the FM 2013 Demo just so that i can check the game out before i pre order it.

I get this message once the install completes and i run the game
"A serious error was encoutered and the application will close. An error file has been generated in: [%string#1]

I tried all the steps above and i keep getting the same error message.

Also, now my FM 2012 doesn't start :( ..... There's no error message for FM 2012 Steam tries to start it but then it closes again
My OS is Windows 7

****UPDATE********
I followed the steps for FM 2012 and it didn't help.
The weird thing is there is no error message .... I try to start the game I see fm.exe appear in the task manager and then it disappears

Please Help

Thanks
Marwin

Last edited:
Having the Same Problem as Marwin.
When I click on Play on Football Manager 2013 through Steam I get this error message>>>
"A serious error was encoutered and the application will close. An error file has been generated in: [%string#1]

Thanks

Also now I tried uninstall, delete registry entries and reinstall of Football Manager 2012 .... It doesn't start .... I get the message starting Football MAnager 2012 and then it simply closes .... I'm sorry but without this issue resolved I don't have confidence in getting FM2013

Also now I tried uninstall, delete registry entries and reinstall of Football Manager 2012 .... It doesn't start .... I get the message starting Football MAnager 2012 and then it simply closes .... I'm sorry but without this issue resolved I don't have confidence in getting FM2013

Are you using a Netbook?

It's a Lenovo Y560 .... Windows 7, i7, 4GB RAM, 1GB ATI Radeon .... FM 2012 was working last till month for me ..... I have like 400+ hours playing time reported on steam
Weird thing is I don't even see anything in the Event Viewer logs for Application ... The latest log i see is when I tried to run the FM 2013 Demo. I pasted the error message for that in my earlier post .... But for FM 2012 there is no error message it just doesn't start

Last edited:
i had steam for fm 12, no issues, then when brought game 2day, it kept cumin offline mode, and wouldnt let me go online mode, regardless of what i tried, so foolishly i removed steam, then tried re-insta;; it, and im on the steam install bit, an everytime i try to install it says error, and no internet connection, this is painful man, dying to get my teeth in2 the game, plz help

i had steam for fm 12, no issues, then when brought game 2day, it kept cumin offline mode, and wouldnt let me go online mode, regardless of what i tried, so foolishly i removed steam, then tried re-insta;; it, and im on the steam install bit, an everytime i try to install it says error, and no internet connection, this is painful man, dying to get my teeth in2 the game, plz help

Wow, it took me a while to try and read this.. I replied to your last thread, you didn't let me know how it went for you.
This isn't a Football Manager issue, this is a Steam issue. Your best chance is to contact Steam support and have them work at it with you - but the problem seems to be your internet connection.

Attempt to use an ethernet cable and link it directly to your computer, and see if the connection problem continues.

Wow, it took me a while to try and read this.. I replied to your last thread, you didn't let me know how it went for you.
This isn't a Football Manager issue, this is a Steam issue. Your best chance is to contact Steam support and have them work at it with you - but the problem seems to be your internet connection.

Attempt to use an ethernet cable and link it directly to your computer, and see if the connection problem continues.

i did reply mate on my thread. nah it aint my net connection, thats fine, connection 100%, think it isa stream issue sadly, can re install stream, have u got a direct link to download it? ill try that if u have

Can anyone help me out here .... I definitely don't have a steam issue looks like, Its an FM Issue.
I don't understand what it is .... I tried checking for event view logs today also didn't help .... I even added the fm.exe from both installs (FM 2012 and FM 2013 Demo) to the ignore list of my antivirus .... I even switched off my antivirus that too didn't work!!
Please someone help ... I do want to get the full version of FM 2013 .... but with this issue I don't want to be wasting my 40 bucks!

FM2013 ERROR

First of all football manager 2012 starts fine, FM 13 doesnt, i am on mac and steam seems to work fine on it, secondly i have tried everything on the steam support site and everything you have said above but to no avail, the first time i log into steam then i press fm13 it shows in the dock where all the apps show then it disappears after about half a second, it then disappears, when forced to stay in dock it doesn't actually do anything, it always says preparing for launch but doesn't actually launch, any help would be appreciated as i really want to play :)

how do I upload a movie to Youtube?

I recorded a bug goal and want to upload it, thanks

Jake, I bought a copy of FM13 of Steam a couple weeks back, I went to open it this morning and it said:

"This game is unavailable. (corrupt game files)." as I said, bought it perfectly legal so what could the issue be? :/

Thanks.

Jake, I bought a copy of FM13 of Steam a couple weeks back, I went to open it this morning and it said:

"This game is unavailable. (corrupt game files)." as I said, bought it perfectly legal so what could the issue be? :/

Thanks.

It's more than likely updated but lost packets during the download process. Verify your game files.

Hey everyone,

I'm having a steam/fm13 problem on mac and am turning to you guys due to steam's notoriously meh support. In my game, I can't enable the steam in-game community to access the store and retrieve some of the unlockables I have acquired in game. I have all the correct boxes ticked in both fm13 and steam, and the community overlay even works in civ 5, but for some reason it will not work in fm13. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi everyone

I've recently bought FM13 and was playing quite happily on WinXP without any issues. I've since, uninstalled FM13 and upgraded my machine to Win7. Now when I re-install FM13 onto my Win7 machine, it's telling me I've not got enough space, when in fact I've got 260Gb of free space.

I've tried completely uninstalling it plus steam, incl removal of registry settings.

I've tried copying the contents of the disc to the hard-drive and running the install from there.

I've emailed Steam, several times now, and have yet to get a response - it's been 7 days.

Many thanks