flybysilva

Reaction score
Sorry if there is already a thread on this but I couldnt find one.

In the past I have always bought or pre-ordered the new FM from a shop so that I have the CD. But this year I am thinking of just ordering off steam. What I want to know is, is there any difference. For example Performence wise and do you still get the editor.

This is prob a stupid question.

I don't trust steam after the shocking performance of the demo, so am sticking with the CD.

i tend to buy the cd but install with steam

I don't trust steam after the shocking performance of the demo, so am sticking with the CD.

What was wrong with Steam & the Demo? I've used Steam for years now and never had any problems with it. Especially when it comes to FM.

There is no difference in the game itself if you get it off steam and you still get the editor. The difference is Steam has a couple of features installing offline doesn't. Like automatic patching, achievements, integrated social featutures ect.
The other difference is steam is a bit more strict in terms of licensing. If you install a copy on your machine and link it to your steam account only one person will be able to play at any one time. There are ways around this, such as installing it on a second computer and then putting steam in offline mode. But steam does let you backup your games and reinstall them ready for access on another machine that I find very handy.

Personally, I love steam. I have probably only bought one boxed game (Starcraft II CE) in the past 2 years because of it.

If performance is an issue then it is your computer. Not steam. Both the release versions will be exactly the same.

Last edited:
What was wrong with Steam & the Demo? I've used Steam for years now and never had any problems with it. Especially when it comes to FM.
agreed, ive never had a problem with steam, i only get the cd because i like the idea of having a hard copy, but i install with steam

There is no difference in the game itself if you get it off steam and you still get the editor. The difference is Steam has a couple of features installing offline doesn't. Like automatic patching, achievements, integrated social featutures ect.
The other difference is steam is a bit more strict in terms of licensing. If you install a copy on your machine and link it to your steam account only one person will be able to play at any one time. There are ways around this, such as installing it on a second computer and then putting steam in offline mode. But steam does let you backup your games and reinstall them ready for access on another machine that I find very handy.

Personally, I love steam. I have probably only bought one boxed game (Starcraft II CE) in the past 2 years because of it.

If performance is an issue then it is your computer. Not steam. Both the release versions will be exactly the same.

Ok. well Ive had no problem with the demo on steam so I think im gonna go ahead and download it off steam this year. Thanks for all your help guys.

Steam. Have used it since FM 2009. Preloaded FM 2011 this morning and it took about 10 mins on Virgin Broadband 20 MB. Not had any problems with it at all.

50% of people had problems with it, mine crashed every game, as I know Tiraths did, along with plenty others. Downloaded the normal demo on the Friday, fine ever since.

50% of people had problems with it, mine crashed every game, as I know Tiraths did, along with plenty others. Downloaded the normal demo on the Friday, fine ever since.
thats problems with the demo, not with steam

50%? More like less than 5%...

ive never had a problem with steam demo worked fine preloaded it this morning cant wait now :wub:

can't blame steam for your demo not working. I use steam for most games, unless it is significantly cheaper elsewhere. used steam for FM11, pre loading as we speak.

Logos & Kits on steam

Hello all!
Can I install team kits and logos for FM2011 on Steam?
Can I install the game on my MAC home computer and in my notebook and play the same game in each one?

Thanks,
Marcio(A)

Hello all!
Can I install team kits and logos for FM2011 on Steam?
Can I install the game on my MAC home computer and in my notebook and play the same game in each one?

Thanks,
Marcio(A)
Yes and yes.

I used steam for FM09 and they got some bar code thing wrong with a whole batch of copies so I couldn't play it between December and March. Put me off steam for life :p

I used steam for FM09 and they got some bar code thing wrong with a whole batch of copies so I couldn't play it between December and March. Put me off steam for life :p
So what do you plan to do when boxed copies of PC games are no longer made? ;)
It isn't far off...